Moving boat to new slip. Dockline Questions.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Lead centered monkey's fists. Very nautical.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Also known as slungshots in certain nany-state jurisdictions. Believe it or not, these can get you in legal trouble some places where paranoia rules the courts. As far as I know, they are not a problem in Florida though.

Aug 22, 2017
If long spring lines are what you want, then the simple set up below might be worth considering. In the example drawn, your mid-ship cleats get used as chocks for the spring lines. If you have enough clearance around your rigs, or if you install chafing gear near the side stays, you might be able to not use the chock cleats & get a more free floating spring line. In either case, loosening the port bow line brings the boat into the finger dock for easy boarding -

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
your mid-ship cleats get used as chocks for the spring lines
:plus:
But it presents a interesting "tide slack" Trig calculation, without the "chock" bearing weight.:cool:

_______
That is why I am thinking of a cover.
Nice dinghy cover. Easy solution to getting on the covered dink. Think parachute rip cords by a separate line(s), to release the cover, expose your normal entry, step in dink, and hand remove the rest.;)
Jim...

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Do you have a good source for boat covers around here? Most of the local canvas shops I have contacted, gave quotes that were 3-5 times the prices that I expected.
Stock cover is only $149 on Amazon. However, I do have a canvas guy, PM me

Aug 22, 2017
:plus:
But it presents a interesting "tide slack" Trig calculation, without the "chock" bearing weight.:cool:
Yea, the only advantage of using the midship cleat as a chock, instead of cleating the line there, is that the extra length of the line gives you some extra stretch, which gives you a little extra tide room. If it was possible to free float the long spring line rather than chock it, it would probably be better.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
So after a little location testing, I definitely will have to notch the rail.
2018-05-20 16.30.36.jpg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What about setting it on a base that raises it up an inch?
:plus::plus:
Since that spot doesn't allow for too much of a backer plate, how about what Will suggests a...
Mounting Plate!
You could make a "plate", say 1" King Starboard, that is long and has several screws and even drainage holes.
That could "Spread the load".
Jim...

PS: I was typing at same time.:laugh:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Personally, I'd use a solid base of aluminum, but the other choices would work. You would want to cap the tubing. Use the least invasive, simplest plan.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The more I think, the more "invasive" I get, especially when it is someone else's work.:cowbell:

Tip: The more a screw threads are engaged, the stronger the holding power.

You can use a very long screw, in the cleat, with a mounting plate.:)
Jim...

PS: Perhaps a cleat mounting Bolt too.

Aug 22, 2017
I have some Starboard scraps kicking around if you need some. I think that everything I have is white.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
This is what I am thinking so far.
View attachment 150292
Not really a fan of this set up.... like was said before too many chafe points. I would keep it simple with two bow lines, two stern lines to the pilings and two spring lines from mid fleet to piling aft. And btw bow first is the best for us..... you can always choose when you want to leave but not coming home. It’s much easier to back out into open area almost regardless of wind than to have to back in when wind picks up to 25 from the wrong direction. Momentum is a nice thing when docking a sailboat in my opinion. And also you don’t have everybody looking into your business. Taylor makes great plastic stairs.

Good luck with whatever model tie up you choose!

Greg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Not really a fan of this set up.... like was said before too many chafe points. I would keep it simple with two bow lines, two stern lines to the pilings and two spring lines from mid fleet to piling aft. And btw bow first is the best for us..... you can always choose when you want to leave but not coming home. It’s much easier to back out into open area almost regardless of wind than to have to back in when wind picks up to 25 from the wrong direction. Momentum is a nice thing when docking a sailboat in my opinion. And also you don’t have everybody looking into your business. Taylor makes great plastic stairs.

Good luck with whatever model tie up you choose!

Greg
So, since I had to be off my old dock by the 1st, and we had the fringes of TS Alberto forecast to hit us on Sunday and Monday, I bit the bullet, and moved her in the rain on Saturday Morning. She is now at her new dock, with temporary dock lines. Right now I have 2 bow, 2 stern, and 1 starboard side spring line. The stern lines are tied to the cockpit side cleats since the stern cleats are out beyond the dolphin pilings.

It was low tide, and I got her into her slip with just a little bump on the bottom at the entrance.
2018-05-26 12.52.07.jpg 2018-05-26 12.51.09.jpg
Since it is a sand bottom, I should be able to remedy that bump with a short dive and a shovel.

I went back on Sunday morning since I had left some tools aboard that I needed for a major project at home, and she was floating well with a slightly higher tide. Weather report calling for heavy thunder storms Sunday that forced the Saturday move in the rain were obviously off. :banghead:
2018-05-27 15.59.10.jpg 2018-05-27 15.58.36.jpg 2018-05-27 15.58.54.jpg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Good luck. Just watch how she rides under different winds and adjust / modify as necessary.
Greg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I should be able to remedy that bump with a short dive and a shovel.
This is why I let my boat move around in an Oval fashion. The winds and tides are my "shovel".

Nice Job!
______
I am now wondering about the need for a Starboard midships spring line, at least for your berth. It looks pretty clear on the beam sides.

For easy boarding, you might think of two different lengths of Port Stern lines. One for normal hold and one longer for boarding, letting the boat to be pulled more forward.
Jim...

PS: at least it was Alberto and not ALBERTO!;)