Just Bought My First Boat - About to Give it to a Scrapyard

Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 30 marina park marina
I think I really can't trust anyone when it comes to boats at this point. I don't want to go after the surveyor even if he missed some crucial things, I'll just take it as a (hard earned) lesson.

Despite all of the setbacks, I've definitely learned a lot about my boat so far, and the advice in this thread has been priceless! The boat probably would have been in the scrapyard by now if it wasn't for the advice I got, and it seems like I can see the end of the tunnel now and I am more confident working on the boat myself. :)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I just got an update from the boatyard. They haven’t mentioned the keel yet but its a good thing they looked at the thru hulls. The engine intake apparently snapped from corrosion as soon as they touched it (the backing wood was rotten) and 2 others weren’t thru hulls at all, just copper tubes in the hull. Might have been a previous DIY repair.

I’m glad these are getting fixed before I launched!
The copper pile in a fiberglass volcano was the factory installation until the Mk2. It is a good thing to replace them. My Mk2 had Marelon thru hulls with a marelon ball valve which worked fine but I chose to replace them all with the new Marelon 93 Series flanged seacocks.

• Helpful
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I think I really can't trust anyone when it comes to boats at this point. I don't want to go after the surveyor even if he missed some crucial things, I'll just take it as a (hard earned) lesson.

Despite all of the setbacks, I've definitely learned a lot about my boat so far, and the advice in this thread has been priceless! The boat probably would have been in the scrapyard by now if it wasn't for the advice I got, and it seems like I can see the end of the tunnel now and I am more confident working on the boat myself. :)
On a possitive note. I have owned my 88 Mk2 for 27-years and am still in love with her. The C30 is a fantastic boat for the Salish Sea.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I think I really can't trust anyone when it comes to boats at this point.
Despite all of the setbacks, I've definitely learned a lot about my boat so far, and the advice in this thread has been priceless! I am more confident working on the boat myself. :)
Repairing & maintaining your first boat has a very steep learning curve, as you have come to realize. Every step of the way, you will encounter problems that you need to educate yourself to either complete the repair yourself or at least be knowledgeable enough so you aren't taken advantage of by unscrupulous contractors or yards. This education is an ongoing process that never ends. Talk to your dock neighbors & hang out on the forums & You Tube to gain valuable info & to filter out the good & the bad. Also realize that most often, there isn't one best solution to solve a problem , but several options that are available. Realize that individuals, here & elsewhere, will advocate for their solution; you have to decide on the preferred course of action. Over time, you will become intimately knowledgeable of your boat and that is a good thing!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Congratulations. I had a lot of work done on my new-to-me boat at winter refit 2008-2009, nearly as much as I paid for the boat. It was worth every penny, as I new I had a safe boat to take the Scouts cruising on. :beer: