Looking for Solar Panel Battery Charging Kits

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You guys do understand that my comment had nothing to do with the product mentioned in mayhem's thread. It's about using public forums to make unsubstantiated claims or distribute false information. Just be careful and think before you print. Okay?
Joe, yes I do understand. While SBO is free of much of the disinformation and misinformation found elsewhere on the internet, from time to time bad information is shared here. Your post prompted to the start the "How do we know what we know" thread.

In Mayhem's defense, his statement was only a slight exaggeration, the controller appears to be well on its way to ignition.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I was going off of memory about it starting a fire. Judging by the case, it's totally possible that some components inside may have gone up in flames. Only a tear down of the device would show for sure

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I created my own "a la carte" system which currently works for me. I have two 100W panels hooked up in parallel to a dual battery charging/monitor (20Amp), with an external readout gauge (ethernet cable connected MeTer brand). My power banks consist of two 100ah batteries connected parallel on switch #2 for a house bank to run all lights, the 1500w inverter and my electronics. On switch #1 I have a starting battery with 850 CCA, basically only used to start and as I use the engine. All batteries are lead acid as AGM and better currently don't fit in my budget (FI). The controller flips from one battery over to the other and tops up as needed. Simple, basic and inexpensive.
1723207351684.png
1723207792441.jpeg

1723207874735.jpeg

I've had this system in place for the last four years with no issues. It keeps my batteries topped up while I am docked and away from the boat and gives me sufficient power to enjoy long trips, albeit with frugality of use. Yes, I yearn for more, maybe one day I can make it more efficient and more powerful.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I created my own "a la carte" system which currently works for me. I have two 100W panels hooked up in parallel to a dual battery charging/monitor (20Amp), with an external readout gauge (ethernet cable connected MeTer brand). My power banks consist of two 100ah batteries connected parallel on switch #2 for a house bank to run all lights, the 1500w inverter and my electronics. On switch #1 I have a starting battery with 850 CCA, basically only used to start and as I use the engine. All batteries are lead acid as AGM and better currently don't fit in my budget (FI). The controller flips from one battery over to the other and tops up as needed. Simple, basic and inexpensive.
Not to pull us off course too far, but do you have to switch the battery switch to #1 when you start the engine, then back to #2 to run the house?

Or do you mean you have 2) On/off battery switches (1 for each bank)?

Greg

Aug 11, 2011
I switch from OFF to #1, then I start the engine and keep it there whilst the engine is in use. Once I kill the engine and say "WOW, IT'S SO NICE AND QUIET OUT HERE!" , I then switch to ALL and then over to #2.
1723223617132.png

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I switch from OFF to #1, then I start the engine and keep it there whilst the engine is in use. Once I kill the engine and say "WOW, IT'S SO NICE AND QUIET OUT HERE!" , I then switch to ALL and then over to #2.
View attachment 226665
Got it. My set up is essentially the same. I typically just run the boat (engine start and house loads) off my 215 ah “house” bank, and keep the Group 24 start battery in reserve in case I do something stupid and drain the house bank.

I am still considering the merits of wiring the start battery directly to the starter ( using an On/Off switch) and keeping the house bank wired to the 1/both/2 switch ( really just using it as a disconnect for the house bank). Just haven’t figured out if it is worth it.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
The value of separating the house and start/reserve bank varies based on how much time on spends cruising and away from shore power. With the 1-2-All switch it is easy to leave the switch on All, anchor in a nice cove and wake up in the morning to dead batteries.

Aug 11, 2011
The value of separating the house and start/reserve bank varies based on how much time on spends cruising and away from shore power. With the 1-2-All switch it is easy to leave the switch on All, anchor in a nice cove and wake up in the morning to dead batteries.
For this scenario I carry a fully charged Weego
1723290648591.png

Jan 11, 2014
For this scenario I carry a fully charged Weego
View attachment 226688
While I don't negate the value of back up systems, I prefer to design systems to prevent the need for back up systems. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Separating the start and house systems is prevention, carrying jump pack is cure. A well designed electrical system will make the jump pack a tertiary back up. Start battery dead, use the house bank; house bank dead use the jump pack. With a separated system the odds of having both banks go bad is much lower and reduces human error which the 1-2-all system doesn't do.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
While I don't negate the value of back up systems, I prefer to design systems to prevent the need for back up systems. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Separating the start and house systems is prevention, carrying jump pack is cure. A well designed electrical system will make the jump pack a tertiary back up. Start battery dead, use the house bank; house bank dead use the jump pack. With a separated system the odds of having both banks go bad is much lower and reduces human error which the 1-2-all system doesn't do.
This :thumbup:
Taking it a step further to make it idiot proof, add a battery combiner (voltage sensitive relay) between the start and house banks. It joins the battery banks when it senses voltage at 13.2 or above (at float or bulk levels, but not at discharged levels). Connect the start battery to the alternator (with on-off switch) and any other charge sources (shore power, solar power etc) to the house bank. With this setup the house bank gets charged by the alternator when the start battery is full, and the start battery gets charged by the auxiliary power sources when the house bank is full.