BUYING! H34! (my boat thread)

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
So I don't think you can actually change your handle name..

Anyhow, getting ready to fill the water tanks and I was looking at this thread about the fuel tank access port which is always a great idea because I always harp on the sludge that's on the bottom of tanks. Hunter 34 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

I don't know how even even gets their body in there! I'm wondering wouldn't it be easier to access from the quarter birth just remove the panel? Or make it easily removable for future operations in that area?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
you have to be a contortionist to get into the dungeon, other people have made a access panel in the quarter berth which makes a lot of sense.
I just haven’t gotten around to do it yet. I’ve been putting it off for the past 38 years, maybe next year

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup, "the pit" is kinda tight getting in. I did it a couple of weeks ago to install a new battery..(6', 245#) going in is not too bad, getting back out is ...uuuhhh interesting. If you have flooded lead acid batts, a battery watering system is a great thing on the 34 with batteries in original location. The access door mod that Claude Auger posted is on my to do list. I can't find the post, but it is on site somewhere.

Feb 26, 2009
Also a no-brainer I can see the batteries belong underneath the quarter berth can't believe the factory didn't do that, maybe they're afraid fumes would kill anybody sleeping there if that's possible.

Feb 26, 2009
More pictures, found the battery charger nicely wired nicely mounted I found the condensing unit and the oh my OMG fuel tank with no fuel gauge plus the refrigeration condensing unit looks like one of The original ABs
20210813_170648_Film3-1.jpg

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
what did they do with the space under the chart table? the louvered cabinet looks like mine that's in the afternoon quarter berth.

Jun 8, 2020
And, does anyone really use the after quarter berth/ double bed for two people? We tend to call it the garage with the pit to starboard. Store all the stuff that won't go any where else.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
what did they do with the space under the chart table? the louvered cabinet looks like mine that's in the afternoon quarter berth.
That's where the AC unit is on mine. Not necessarily the location I would have chosen.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Also a no-brainer I can see the batteries belong underneath the quarter berth can't believe the factory didn't do that, maybe they're afraid fumes would kill anybody sleeping there if that's possible.
I thought of moving mine there, but I think there was a clearance problem.

Feb 26, 2009
Well I have been going through all the systems in the boat! All the plumbing works, pressure pump, the electric hot water heater works, all the faucets need to be replaced.
The yanmar starts as soon as you turn the key!

Are you supposed to hear the gurgling of the discharge water and exhaust from the starboard cockpit drain seems to make sense you can hear what you can't see?
Only thing that is troubling me is I don't know how much fuel is in the fuel tank don't quite get that Hunter did not install some type of fuel gauge, I'm going to have to make some kind of a dipstick I guess.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Originally, the tank was kinda translucent and by opening the locker, you could see the level in he tank.. as the tank ages, it gets stained from the diesel and things get interesting. I have been thinking about adding a gauge for 20 years or so .. no need to rush things !
The Yanmar on mine burns about 1/2 gallon an hour on the average so I use the hour meter.. but ya have to be careful if ya have a fouled bottom and or prop..

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
1/2 gallon per hour on mine too. As many have, I cut through from the quarter berth into the pit, and if really want to know the fuel level I can put a flashlight on top and see from the side.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Well I have been going through all the systems in the boat! All the plumbing works, pressure pump, the electric hot water heater works, all the faucets need to be replaced.
The yanmar starts as soon as you turn the key!

Are you supposed to hear the gurgling of the discharge water and exhaust from the starboard cockpit drain seems to make sense you can hear what you can't see?
Only thing that is troubling me is I don't know how much fuel is in the fuel tank don't quite get that Hunter did not install some type of fuel gauge, I'm going to have to make some kind of a dipstick I guess.
Fill the tank (so you don’t run out) and keep track of hours on the tank. You can get a good idea of the fuel consumption rates other boat owners give you….do you know the capacity of the tank?

Greg

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I go thru about 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank per year and I use my boat quite a bit. I just top off the tank once a year. Also, yes, the scuppers make a gurgle noise. Not a problem. The 34 is tender and not particularly well balanced. I fly a 110 genoa and a loose footed main. I find that while I can sail the boat fine in winds over 16 it balances better when reefed. In reefing snug up reef line and cleat it while the halyard is still a little loose then snug up the halyard. That will give you the best sail shape. You might even use a sharpie to mark the reef line and the boom just forward of the cleat so you can go back to the setting that you like every time.

Jun 8, 2020
I go thru about 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank per year and I use my boat quite a bit. I just top off the tank once a year. Also, yes, the scuppers make a gurgle noise. Not a problem. The 34 is tender and not particularly well balanced. I fly a 110 genoa and a loose footed main. I find that while I can sail the boat fine in winds over 16 it balances better when reefed. In reefing snug up reef line and cleat it while the halyard is still a little loose then snug up the halyard. That will give you the best sail shape. You might even use a sharpie to mark the reef line and the boom just forward of the cleat so you can go back to the setting that you like every time.
@markwbird.... have you ever double reefed?