BUYING! H34! (my boat thread)

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
It's mostly about getting first-hand information on this particular model boat they are all little bit different although the drill is usually the same!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my O’Day 322, I pressed out the cutlass bearing, removed the coupling flange and the stuffing box…that allowed me to get the shaft out past the rudder. Scraped some paint off the rudder, but it came out. A little effort required to get the new shaft into the shaft log in the hull, but I was able to do it all by myself.

Not sure if the geometry is close on the H34, but may be worth a try. My marina has a paved surface, so no digging holes!

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Have a friend who owned a Catalina 350, he aligned shaft as close as possible to rudder and had someone push on the rudder in a lateral direction. There was enough "give" in the rudder bearings to allow the shaft to clear. Worth a try.

Jan 7, 2011
Have a friend who owned a Catalina 350, he aligned shaft as close as possible to rudder and had someone push on the rudder in a lateral direction. There was enough "give" in the rudder bearings to allow the shaft to clear. Worth a try.
If I had a friend, I would have done that too ;-)

Greg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
again, coupla notes:
The false bilge is open; you can cut the forward edge where it was not fully removed and put the float switch down a bit more..
Check valves are not preferred, but the H-34 needs one because of the large volume of bilge water in the pump discharge hose that will immediately return to the bilge when the pump stops. The only practical way I know of to eliminate it would be to use a diaphragm type bilge pump (versus centrifugal as is in the bilge now). Something like this: (ok this is a centrifugal)
Whale SuperSub Smart IC Automatic Bilge Pump | Defender Marine
or this Whale Marine - Products (whalepumps.com)
Note that it has a "non return valve" which is a check valve to prevent back flow from the discharge line.
Some folks use a rubber vane pump for a bilge pump which is pretty good at preventing back flow but uses a lot of amperes while it is running.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Not trying to convince you to buy the boat, just offering comments ..

Feb 26, 2009
Thank you everyone! I am inclined to put a check valve on the primary bilge pump and add a secondary bilge pump without a check valve. There seems to be plenty of room (after cutting) and the float switch will be lower.

I don't take the possession of the boat untiltill sometime this coming week. just waiting for the paperwork to be all filed and money is finally transferred to the owner ( brokers way of doing things)

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Just finished installing a rule 1100 automatic bilge pump as a redundant bilge pump on my H34. I've been putting this off for about three years because of other to do list boat projects. Made it a priority this year before the boat went into the water after my buddy had is boat partially sink due to faulty check valve. Then at the end of last season my pump failed due to a blown fuse and I open the boat to find the water about 1/2 inch from the cabin floor that infiltrated from a slow leaking water strainer gasket that filed. I felt that I had dodged a bullet and didn't want to press my luck again.

Installed the redundant pump approximately 6 inches above the main pump, wired to directly to second house battery which is elevated approximately 2 feet above primary batteries. My thoughts on the ellivated battery is if my primary batteries shorted out the elevated battery will continue to power the pumps.

I installed the entire redundant pump completely separate from the main pump.
Separate wires, check valve, hose, and discharge thruhull.

Now that the redundant pump is installed, I can only hope that it never has to be used. My boating buddies all say that this is a waste of time and money, however it gives me peace of mind knowing that I have a backup. Having peace of mind is worth it to me.

I am curious ? Anyone else have redundant bilge pumps?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
bilge pumps with integral float switches?
That seems like a no brainer idea. I am sure the electrical connections can be resolved so that you have both a "float" run switch and a manual override.

I think the issue is that the float switches constantly fail. They get jammed up with something. They short out. They self destruct.

If they are separate they are easier to fix than hauling the pump out of the bilge, opening it up and repairing or replacing the switch. At least that has been my experience.

Feb 26, 2009
Thank you and it's official! Picking up the docs tomorrow going down to the docks tomorrow afternoon

"Congratulations! The purchase of your ’86 Hunter 34 is now complete.
Attached is a set of the executed documents. I have your package here in our office that will have a set of hard copies, as well as your temporary registration for the boat. The permanent registration and title will be mailed directly to you from the Department of Natural Resources.
Thank you for purchasing your new boat through Knot 10 Yacht Sales, we appreciate your business. I hope you have years of enjoyment with your new boat!"

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
i had a similar issue and it was water leaking from a raw water connection for the engine

Feb 26, 2009
I took possession of the boat today it's going on for 10:00 p.m. and I'm settling in for the night I'm amazed just about everything on the boat works the only thing I haven't checked yet is the plumbing water system and pressure light steaming light running lights spreader lights everything works!
The build pump is acting like normal, it's not flooding. I really believe there was
20210811_185121_Film3-1.jpg
was a huge amount of standing rainwater from being stored on land for almost a year maybe longer.
20210811_185144_Film3-1.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
I took possession of the boat today it's going on for 10:00 p.m. and I'm settling in for the night I'm amazed just about everything on the boat works the only thing I haven't checked yet is the plumbing water system and pressure light steaming light running lights spreader lights everything works!
The build pump is acting like normal, it's not flooding. I really believe there was View attachment 197083was a huge amount of standing rainwater from being stored on land for almost a year maybe longer. View attachment 197082
Congratulations!

Now you need to change your “handle”…DeniseH34?

Greg