Covid-19 Vaccination

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Got my second Moderna shot last Thursday. No major reaction other than the injection site was sorer than the first and I didn’t feel like doing much of anything over the weekend. I am glad we were eligible and that we had the opportunity to get the vaccine close to home and both times took less than an hour including the 15 minute mandatory hold at the end.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Just had 2nd shot. My arm itches and I couldn't sleep. Other than that all is well. Our bubble of friends is just about fully vaxed.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Have you noticed that covid infections are dropping fast? Not only are some being vaccinated and some have survived infection with developed immunity but I believe over time we have all developed some level of immunity. This is because we have all been exposed to small amounts of the virus in our daily life. Due to these frequent minor exposures our miraculous immune response systems kick in and manufacture anti-bodies to protect us. Left alone and without the shots we humans would shortly conquer this virus. That is why the human race is still here after thousands of years on planet earth. IMHO
I think this is hopeful thinking. Let's watch Texas and Mississippi for the next month. Virus cases are dropping because after the holidays people realized that mask wearing and social distancing is effective to reducing the spread of the virus. For further evidence, look at the absence of flu cases, mask wearing and social distancing. The human cost has been tremendous, over half a million dead. We just can not allow nature to take its course when we have effective interventions, mask wearing, social distancing, and vaccinations.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Have you noticed that covid infections are dropping fast? Not only are some being vaccinated and some have survived infection with developed immunity but I believe over time we have all developed some level of immunity...
I've watched our local statistic since last April. We had a huge spike over the winter. It made a really good descent, however it has now leveled out over the last week. It is still more than double what it was this past summer, so while the previous downward trend was good, its not great. Our county is still over 100 cases per day, which still seems like a crazy amount for a typical suburb.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Got the second Pfizer vaccination shot (after driving 500 miles from Palm Desert to San Francisco) and got the pin to prove it!! I am thankful that I dd not have any arm pain or adverse reaction.

1614899520461.png

Feb 21, 2013
.........But nowhere closer? That was quite a drive.
Good observation. We had to drive back to San Francisco where we got our first shot anyway since we had some errands, most importantly move my boat to another berth at the request of the berth owner (all the berths in my marina are privately owned) who wanted me to vacate it for his boat.

Feb 21, 2013
While camping this winter in southern California this winter we met a lot of people while socially distanced who DO NOT PLAN to get vaccinated for any number of reasons. We never had the flu or common cold in decades. Our decision to get Covid-19 vaccinated was based on mitigating the risk of getting its symptoms and AND allow us to safely sail with our vaccinated family and friends.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
NY is developing an app that will act as a passport of sort. If you have the app and have the vaccine show the pass at the gate and you are granted access to concerts, movies, bars, etc. Simple and easy.

If folks do not care enough about other humans to get vaccinated, then I see no reason to allow them the same benefits that we who have taken care to get vaccinated have.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If folks do not care enough about other humans to get vaccinated, then I see no reason to allow them the same benefits that we who have taken care to get vaccinated have.
I'm not sure I agree with you. If you don't get vaccinated, the only person you hurt is yourself. If you have been vaccinated, you can still spread the virus.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
... and what about those that can't take the shot? i did not say won't take. i said can't. do we just ban them from society?

Jan 11, 2014
I'm not sure I agree with you. If you don't get vaccinated, the only person you hurt is yourself. If you have been vaccinated, you can still spread the virus.
This is not necessarily accurate, the latest research suggests the vaccines reduce the transmission of the virus. The current thinking is a vaccinated person may pick up the virus, however the antibodies prevent or severely impair the virus's ability to reproduce. This reduces the viral load a person can carry, with the reduced viral load, there is less virus that can be spread.

Less coronavirus means less chance of spreading it, and if the amount of virus in your body is low enough, the probability of transmitting it may reach almost zero. However, researchers don't yet know where that cutoff is for the coronavirus, and since the vaccines don't provide 100% protection from infection, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that people continue to wear masks and social distance even after they've been vaccinated.
(link to article below)

This is also why I believe the spread in elementary schools is very low, little kids have small lungs and bodies the viral load they can carry is also small, their breaths have less volume, and their sneezes and coughs have less force than adults and teenagers. In addition, they are closer to the ground so the aerosols reach the ground quickly.

The effect of the unvaccinated becoming ill extends beyond the individual. Every infected person who becomes hospitalized reduces the number of hospital beds available to others who through no fault of their own require hospitalization.

Every infected person who is not vaccinated provides a host for the virus to replicate and mutate. We can't predict what mutations might occur and if the current crop of vaccines can protect us against mutations. A vaccinated person, even if infected, will not become as ill and will provide less opportunity for the virus to mutate.

I was raised to believe, and I still do, that we have to be responsible for ourselves and our own actions. I was also taught, and believe, that we have to act for the common good even though at times it may be inconvenient or at some cost to ourselves. Not getting a vaccine to prevent and limit the spread of this deadly virus (over half a million killed in a year and counting) does not contribute to the common good, it acts against the common good and acts against the best interests of society and country.

Given the plethora of lies and disinformation propagated over the last few years, I understand how many might be reluctant to trust anyone. However, at some point we have to accept the reality that too many people have died from Covid and many of those deaths could have been prevented with a vaccine and by taking reasonable unintrusive actions.

Finally, if someone doesn't want to contribute through their behavior to common good of their community and society, then they should not expect to reap the benefits of their membership in that community. This idea is as old as our country.

Jan 11, 2014
... and what about those that can't take the shot? i did not say won't take. i said can't. do we just ban them from society?
Not necessarily, the issue is the number of people for whom receiving the vaccine would be life threatening is extremely low. Those who chose not to take the vaccine place those who can't at extreme risk. We all have an responsibility to protect the vulnerable.

The data so far so the vaccines to be exceedingly safe. I can't find the reference right now, however, the last data I saw a couple of days ago showed something 70 allergic reactions have occurred some 25 million vaccinations. The number is very low. There have been no deaths attributed to the vaccine, although there have been some coincidental occurrences after the person was vaccinated, primarily (or perhaps exclusively) among the elderly (people older than you and I Jon. ;))

Society will not ban those who legitimately cannot take the vaccine, however, those who refuse to get a vaccine are effectively banning the vulnerable from participating in the benefits of being in society, because the unvaccinated place them at great risk.

Feb 21, 2013
Fascinating discussion!! I was just trying to make a simple point in a previous post and that is.......having been vaccinated we will return to socializing with our social circle, as we have in the past, knowing they are ALL vaccinated since we do not want to unknowingly spread it to those that are not. It is the same precautions we have taken our entire life to avoid spreading stomach flu, Influenza and common cold to family and friends.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
your a wise man dave. lots to consider. i got no answers. i got vaccinated. i also feel i have no business telling another person how they have to live their life. is the group more important than the individual? i don't like that concept. don't like it at all.

things to ponder for sure