Covid-19 Vaccination

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Just when I was thinking we (wife is 70 and I am turning 70 in March) were NOT going to get a vaccination for a long while, my wife just scheduled an appointment for both of us on February 1st for the first shot at a county vaccination clinic in Vallejo, California. Yahoo!! They then schedule the second vacinnation for March 3. Aftet that we can leave to go camping on the Colorado River to escape the San Francisco winter. That tells me 2 things: 1) front line workers, who wanted the vacinnation, have gotten it, and 2) 75 year old's are not racing to get their vacinnation.

Anyone get their vacinnations yet?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Got mine yesterday, my wife got hers today.

Wednesday I was sitting at the computer and the local pharmacy opened up appointments, zoomed right in and got the appointments. The pharmacist told me the website crashed shortly after we got our appointments.

We still need to wear masks and socially distant, but we'll be a lot safer. Once again we can plan again to sail to the Bahamas next winter. :)

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
We got the 1st a month ago and recently received the 2nd shot. Anyone (resident) over 65 has been able to get it for a while here although some haven’t figured out the process.

Although states aren’t receiving enough for everyone, the difference in efficacy of obtains appointments, rate of vaccination, who is eligible and the total vaccinated in each is huge. I can’t wait for the government is screw-it up further.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
I can’t wait for the government is screw-it up further.
Well, overall it seems screwed up enough.

The big issue in NY State is the demand far outstrips the supply, otherwise, the actual operation of the clinics has mostly gone well. Because of the high demand the appointment websites crash. Yesterday the county opened up a new set of appointments for today (they don't offer appointments until they know they have the vaccines), typically the county's website gets 20,000 hits a day, yesterday afternoon it received over 700,000 hits in just a few hours. The servers crashed. :(

Sep 25, 2008
I didn't want to be the first to say it but :plus:
It has no track record yet.
I can understand the skepticism, however, any/all of the vaccines are unlikely to kill more people than what it prevents.Apparently, less than 50% of adults in the U.S. get a flu shot annually. If that's any indication, you are not alone in being wary.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I can understand the skepticism, however, any/all of the vaccines are unlikely to kill more people than what it prevents.Apparently, less than 50% of adults in the U.S. get a flu shot annually. If that's any indication, you are not alone in being wary.
It's not even the possibility of vaccines killing you. The long term side effects are unknown. I don't get the flu shot either, but that's more about the vaccine being a statistical guess of what strains will be prevalent. I have never had the flu. I'm 65.

Jan 11, 2014
I didn't want to be the first to say it but :plus:
It has no track record yet.
Well, that's not entirely accurate. There have been tens of thousands who took the vaccines before they were approved and there have millions since then. The mRNA type vaccine is not a new idea or concept, it has been under development for about a decade. Using this method to combat a corona virus is relatively new.

In the meantime, until we have enough people vaccinated many more will die. So far the count is at 433,000 dead; about the same number as Americans who died in WWII and 8 times the number who died in Viet Nam. Given today's data, about 1% of those who contract Covid will die.

About 25 million US citizens have received one or both doses, about the same number who have contracted Covid in the past year. So far no one has died from the vaccine. There have been a handful of reports about allergic reactions, which are quickly and safely treated.

Using these numbers, it is far less risky to get a vaccine than it is to get Covid. Simple decision for me. Until enough people are vaccinated the virus will be a significant health risk and it will be necessary to live with social and business restrictions and wear masks.

An interesting side note, at least in NY the flu is practically nonexistent. Epidemiologists are attributing this to mask wearing and social distancing.

**The data cited here is publicly available and compiled by The NY Times. nytimes.com

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Nope, not here in FL. Too many people over 65 here. Every time they start making appointments you can't get through. Then it ends.
I have every intention of getting the vaccine. It isn't Thalidomide. And that was 70 years ago. Organizations always fight the last war. I don't understand the question about long term effects. Are we to wait 10 years for it to be proven that there are no long term effects. Life has risks. I'll take the risk of a long term side effect over the risk of dying struggling to breathe.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This is CDC VAERS data not mine; there have been over 2000 adverse effects reported from the MODERNA vaccine and almost 8000 reported on the PFIZER-BIONTECH vaccine. This may or not be relevant to you but it still makes me want to wait. And it has only been a few weeks. YMMV

Sep 25, 2008
This is CDC VAERS data not mine; there have been over 2000 adverse effects reported from the MODERNA vaccine and almost 8000 reported on the PFIZER-BIONTECH vaccine. This may or not be relevant to you but it still makes me want to wait. And it has only been a few weeks. YMMV
“About 85-90% of the reports describe mild side effects such as fever, arm soreness, and crying or mild irritability.”.
I get most of those just thinking about waxing my topsides.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Not specific to these vaccines, but the VAERS site does point this out regarding the “adverse effects” historically reported in general - “About 85-90% of the reports describe mild side effects such as fever, arm soreness, and crying or mild irritability.” Compared to the adverse effects of COVID I think I’d risk the adverse effects of the vaccines.