Covid-19 Vaccination

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Can't wait for the fun... Had the 2 shot shingles vaccine ( end of October/middle of January) Never found the guy that ran me over... down for 2 days after each shot. I'm a glutton for punishment, so come on COVID vaccine..

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Here we have seven good pages of discussion concerning the Covid Vaccines. Social Media organizations are starting to block politically incorrect postings on subjects such as this one. We are people living in a country with freedom of speech but some are cheering when social media captains decide what can be printed. They tell us it is for our own good. Beware the Ministry of Truth. Open discussions are good.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can't wait for the fun... Had the 2 shot shingles vaccine ( end of October/middle of January) Never found the guy that ran me over... down for 2 days after each shot. I'm a glutton for punishment, so come on COVID vaccine..
As I suspect you know, the past isn't a predictor of the future. My wife recently had the shingles shots with no reaction to either but had a severe reaction to the second Covid vaccine. Good luck.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Here we have seven good pages of discussion concerning the Covid Vaccines. Social Media organizations are starting to block politically incorrect postings on subjects such as this one. We are people living in a country with freedom of speech but some are cheering when social media captains decide what can be printed. They tell us it is for our own good. Beware the Ministry of Truth. Open discussions are good.
We have a culture here on SBO that promotes civil discussion of sometimes controversial topics and we are self-correcting, if someone posts erroneous or false information be it about appropriate uses of 5200 or Covid vaccines, the community civilly issues a correction. Under these conditions there is no need to block anyone's post.

There have been times when members have crossed the line with our erstwhile moderators privately dealing with the transgressions. And every now and again when someone gets out of hand and grossly violates the norms, we are told, "Elvis has left the building."

This is a positive community, one with which I am proud to be a part of.

Long Live SBO. :beer::beer:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
We have a culture here on SBO that promotes civil discussion of sometimes controversial topics and we are self-correcting, if someone posts erroneous or false information be it about appropriate uses of 5200 or Covid vaccines, the community civilly issues a correction. Under these conditions there is no need to block anyone's post.
And in comparison, I tried following the FB C30 group but gave up when I found more inexperienced owners making “authoritative“ posts with poor to bad information than experienced owners making posts with good quality information.
A big difference from here on SBO where we have moderators and members who maintain a friendly and helpful atmosphere.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Let me preface this with "I am NOT an anti-vax-er!" But I am with Daveinet about not wanting to get the vaccine. What I remember from the news, the vaccine is 90-95% effective and there are side effects which is a bit discouraging to me. But what really concerns me is the speed at which these vaccines were brought forward. Aren't they on FDA emergency approvals?

So many drugs are advertised on the TV and half the ad is the spokesman telling you the side effects of an APPROVED drug. Or the ad runs the fine print detailing the side effects but you can't read them because well, it's fine print. o_O Plus I'm not really in the 1B group and we're not getting all of the earlier groups vaccinated. My opinion of who should be in the 0 Group would get me banned.

So for the time being, I will continue to stay in my little bubble of people. Which doesn't include my children. Who are 180 miles away and positive but not hospitalized.

Now that I've said all that, my luck will return and I'll catch it next week.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
...So many drugs are advertised on the TV and half the ad is the spokesman telling you the side effects of an APPROVED drug. Or the ad runs the fine print detailing the side effects but you can't read them because well, it's fine print. o_O ...
A drug is different than a vaccine. Without going into all the differences I'll say that a vaccine is very specific in it's action. It does muss with the immune system a bit, but mostly it produces antibodies or it doesn't. Drugs, such as Metformin taken for Type II Diabetes, help with lowering blood sugar but also can cause gut symptoms. I'm speculating here that's because of a shift in gut metabolism. Statins can mess with the liver's metabolism but all of these drugs are trying to outrun the body's metabolism. I don't view vaccines the same way. They work on a cellular level and not on a systemic level. So I don't think the approval of a drug is the same as an approval of a vaccine. I will admit that when you mess with the immune system things can happen. But your immune system is messed with every single day of your life.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Well, overall it seems screwed up enough.

The big issue in NY State is the demand far outstrips the supply, otherwise, the actual operation of the clinics has mostly gone well. Because of the high demand the appointment websites crash. Yesterday the county opened up a new set of appointments for today (they don't offer appointments until they know they have the vaccines), typically the county's website gets 20,000 hits a day, yesterday afternoon it received over 700,000 hits in just a few hours. The servers crashed. :(
There is a program available for free for State and local governments to use called “waiting room”. It’s available for free from “cloudflare” NYSE: NET. It solves the problem of servers crashing. They designed it back in the summer to solve an anticipated problem. You have to wonder why some agencies are not using it. It’s free, it works well, its safe and secure.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
One shot down, one to go. Gave me a bad headache. My arm hurts only when I use it. I've had some aches across my back but those are not bad. I only feel them when I move, but the more I move the better things feel. Eating seems to help.
As a side note, often places that are getting shots on location have extras at the end of the day. My wife's work was allotted a specific amount of vaccines. Since they knew they had extra, she was able to sign me up the day before. (I would have gotten them at some point as an essential worker). As it turned out, at the very end of the day, they still had 30 left over shots, so my wife called my daughter and she ran over and got hers as well. Whatever they unfreeze at the beginning of the day, they have to use up or it goes bad. So rather than throw them away, people just called their friends and relatives - anyone that could drop everything and get over there is short order got a shot. None wasted.
There was nothing official, but I have heard of having people on standby, so if there are extras, they don't go to waste.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
One shot down, one to go. Gave me a bad headache. My arm hurts only when I use it. I've had some aches across my back but those are not bad. I only feel them when I move, but the more I move the better things feel. Eating seems to help.
As a side note, often places that are getting shots on location have extras at the end of the day. My wife's work was allotted a specific amount of vaccines. Since they knew they had extra, she was able to sign me up the day before. (I would have gotten them at some point as an essential worker). As it turned out, at the very end of the day, they still had 30 left over shots, so my wife called my daughter and she ran over and got hers as well. Whatever they unfreeze at the beginning of the day, they have to use up or it goes bad. So rather than throw them away, people just called their friends and relatives - anyone that could drop everything and get over there is short order got a shot. None wasted.
There was nothing official, but I have heard of having people on standby, so if there are extras, they don't go to waste.
Glad you got your shot and that sanity reigns in your wife's workplace. Had my second shot this morning. No major issues so far. :)

Now about sanity and making use of expiring vaccines, apparently that doesn't hold true in Texas:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I got #1 yesterday. I travelled from Jensen Beach to North Miami to get it (2 hours). I just have a sore arm. When my wife got her #1 she had GI symptoms the second day and slept most of the day. Then she was fine.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
...Now about sanity and making use of expiring vaccines, apparently that doesn't hold true in Texas...
Well, that's Houston for you. Most everyone in Texas would be happy to not claim Houston. One sane judge dismissed it as groundless, so the stupid DA plans to present the case to a grand jury. My opinion is that DA's in general don't seem to really work for the people.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Some time ago, the erstwhile runners of SBO decided it was time to upgrade to a new computer system. In the process they ended up canceling some of their moderators. Well this moderator got fed up with the whole program and decided it was time for a sabbatical, which lasted several years. Once I got over my period, I decided it was time to reenter SBO and join in the exchange of ideas. Glad I did. I suppose if at some point in the future SBO becomes just another angst site, one can just move on to a site more open to reasonable discussion.

I thought for awhile when SBO first opened up the (do not remember what it was called), discussions were intense, but civil. But then as time went on language degraded to the point where enough was enough and I bailed. I'm glad that SBO remains somewhat loose with their rules, but will interject when matters get out of hand. That is a good thing.

Much has been learned here and I hope my contribution has returned the same to others. Soon we will pass, but until then let's enjoy our community of fellow sailors and what they have to share/offer.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Had second Pfizer vac on January 31. Following 2 days had headache, low grade fever, and fatigue.....flu - like symptoms. Recovered quicky. A mere inconvenience considering high degree of immunity from Virus.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Have you noticed that covid infections are dropping fast? Not only are some being vaccinated and some have survived infection with developed immunity but I believe over time we have all developed some level of immunity. This is because we have all been exposed to small amounts of the virus in our daily life. Due to these frequent minor exposures our miraculous immune response systems kick in and manufacture anti-bodies to protect us. Left alone and without the shots we humans would shortly conquer this virus. That is why the human race is still here after thousands of years on planet earth. IMHO