Hunter Legend - New owner saying hi

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter Legend 290 Brightlingsea
Hello Everyone,

I joined the forum yesterday as I have just got a 2001 Hunter Legend 290. I hope this is the right group for me. I am in the UK and originally tried joining the Hunter Association, but they said thats only for the original UK designed Hunter boats.
I am not very experienced, other than I have been learning to sail in a Mirror Dinghy over the last couple of years. I have had power boats before, but I really like the idea of being able to get somewhere without burning fuel.

I just got back to my home marina, from the marina I got the boat from. We did the journey over 2 days as the weather wasn't great yesterday.
Depsite spending 2 days with the boat, I had so much on my mind I forgot to take any good pictures, so I have attached the only one I took.
On the journey back, we mostly used the motor and / or Genoa. I haven't been brave enough yet to put the main up. I am hoping to get a day with very little wind to be able to practice putting up and down both sails.

I hope to be able to learn more and get advice from like minded people with similar boats to myself. So hopefully this is the right place for me?

So a couple of questions, to get me started, if you dont mind?

The windows of the spray hood / dodger are really hard to see through. I find myself constantly looking over it on tip toes. Can they be cleaned? What product is best to do this with?

Reverse!
My boat is hard work in reverse. Is this normal?
I am aware of prop kick / walk from power boats I have owned previously. But the Hunter doesn't seem to want to turn much in reverse in either direction. Do they have left handed props on?

Well thats all from me, I am worn out from two days on the water and I have the motion feeling like I am still on the boat :)

Many thanks
Andy

Attachments

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Welcome, Andy!

I reverse, the boat has to be moving a knot or two for the water to flow over the prop and steer the boat. At two knots, you should have good control.

No experience on dodger windows!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat!!

Cleaning dodger window - depends on the type of material as to which cleaning product(s) you might use. At the end of the day you may just have to replace the windows. Some helpful information in the following threads:

Reversing - do you know what type of prop you have - 2 or 3 blade, fixed, feathering, folding?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the site Andy. This is exactly the site you want to be for Hunters designed in the U.K., in the U.S., or your even your back yard. In fact, your 2001 H-290 and my 1999 H-310 are very similar to each other. Now, if you'll just forward your 5 quid registration fee to me, everything should be just fine :p .

As far as the vinyl in the dodger goes, can't offer you a lot of hope there. My Strataglass vinyl pretty well gave up after 15 years and it was covered when not used and annually treated with IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish and IMAR Strataglass Protective Cleaner, I'm afraid you may be due for new acrylic glass.

As far as prop walk goes, a bit of a bugger but can often be used to your advantage in getting out a tight moorage or in fighting the wind IF IT"S GOING IN THE DESIRED DIRECTION. Otherwise learn to live with it and consider the previous posts. If you want to motor in reverse for any distance, I find that completely turning around and standing just aft of the wheel is the most convenient in controlling the boat.

Talk to you again.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Welcome, there is a designated section in the Forum where old posts are archived and there are a lot of postings about "Prop Walk" in a Sailboat. Go under Help and then input a search In the Forum Button for Archives and a further search for prop walk. There is a ton of information. Basically there has to be water flowing through the rudder for the boat to gain steerage. One trick is to give the engine a large thrust of power to get the boat moving in reverse but quickly shit into neutral before the boat drifts too much to port. There is no prop walk in neutral. Repeat alternating quick thrust of power with shifting to neutral to increase speed while recovering from the walk. In cases where there is no distance available or strong currents you may use lines tied to the dock to temporarily neutralize the walk before dropping them in the water or a mate could push the boat back to gain steerage before engaging reverse gear. As far as the plastic windows on the Dodger they have a limited useful life. Don't know in the UK but here in Florida the sun eats them up in 2-3 years. Protect them from the elements when the boat is not in use. Search the Archives for that too.

Oct 10, 2020
Good Morning,

Many thanks for the warm welcome and help.
The boats I have previously owned (Mastercraft and Correct Craft) also had prop walk, which I did use to my advantage. The MC used to kick in starboard and the CC on port. This just meant that I would dock to the side that the prop walk gave me an advantage. I haven't quite worked out which way my Hunter goes as it's been windy and that was swinging the boat as well. It's not going to be so much of a problem at my home mooring as its simple, wide and easy to get into. The place I purchased the boat from had finger pontoons and it was very tight.

I will find a shielded wide area to practice going in reverse a bit faster than I have been going. I would say its quite possible I wasn't using enough power as I was nervous about backing into another boat.

I have attached a picture of the prop, its a 2 blade.

I will take a look in the archives, this is going to be a great resource for me to learn from. Thank you again for taking your time to help me.

Andy

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.............The boats I have previously owned (Mastercraft and Correct Craft) also had prop walk...............I have attached a picture of the prop, its a 2 blade................
You must have been a water skier!! I also owned a Correct Craft Sport Nautique, which enjoyed slalom skiing behind for may years until I purchased my first sailboat. Suggest replacing your 2 bladed prop with a 3 bladed fixed prop to improve your boat's revering maneuverability.

Oct 10, 2020
You must have been a water skier!! I also owned a Correct Craft Sport Nautique, which enjoyed slalom skiing behind for may years until I purchased my first sailboat. Suggest replacing your 2 bladed prop with a 3 bladed fixed prop to improve your boat's revering maneuverability.
Heh, yes I was a skier and wakeboarder for many years. I have always loved the water and sailing seemed like the next evolution for me now I am in my late forties. Cruising along at 5-6 knots doesn't hurt my body as much :)

I didn't realise a 3 blade prop was an option. Thats very interesting and does seem logical.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Andy.
Dodger issues. Without a picture I am guessing you have vinyl windows. They age in the sun and easily scratch. You can try the cleaners but you may have to either replace them or remove the dodger. I know not what you want to hear about your new to you boat.

Prop Question:
You have a couple of things happening. First you have the bilge keel. Two keels track better than one. They are going to try and keep you going in a straight line. You will need to overpower that tendency with enough speed to make the rudder effective. That will be a touchy-feely skill. Rather than long bursts of power/speed try short bursts.

Remember this is a sail boat and the motor is the auxiliary. The two blade prop is intended to give you better sailing- limited power function.
I live in an area of the PacificNW which has beautiful sunny days, strong currents, and sometimes fickle winds. The auxiliary power becomes necessary during cruising. So we give up a little Sailing speed to improve our cruising with a three blade prop. The one I chose is made in Canada. It is a CampbellSailor. Made at WestbyNorth. It has really improved my boats power performance and only minimal impact on my sailing (maybe half a knot loss).

hoid luck and you are correct. The way to improve your boat handling skills is to get out in an open space and practice. Forwards. Backwards.Rotation in boat length. Until it feels natural.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is what the old prop looked like.
946FF576-6054-4841-9C71-24F81A27303B.jpeg

Here is theCampbell Sailor

38165311-5B73-48DB-BA46-0E00106F495A.jpeg

Smaller blades with better curve and proper pitch. It provides increased thrust, less cavitation. Way more efficient.

GIGI-2

Nov 11, 2010
hunter legend 36 Conwy north wales uk
Hello Everyone,

I joined the forum yesterday as I have just got a 2001 Hunter Legend 290. I hope this is the right group for me. I am in the UK and originally tried joining the Hunter Association, but they said thats only for the original UK designed Hunter boats.
I am not very experienced, other than I have been learning to sail in a Mirror Dinghy over the last couple of years. I have had power boats before, but I really like the idea of being able to get somewhere without burning fuel.

I just got back to my home marina, from the marina I got the boat from. We did the journey over 2 days as the weather wasn't great yesterday.
Depsite spending 2 days with the boat, I had so much on my mind I forgot to take any good pictures, so I have attached the only one I took.
On the journey back, we mostly used the motor and / or Genoa. I haven't been brave enough yet to put the main up. I am hoping to get a day with very little wind to be able to practice putting up and down both sails.

I hope to be able to learn more and get advice from like minded people with similar boats to myself. So hopefully this is the right place for me?

So a couple of questions, to get me started, if you dont mind?

The windows of the spray hood / dodger are really hard to see through. I find myself constantly looking over it on tip toes. Can they be cleaned? What product is best to do this with?

Reverse!
My boat is hard work in reverse. Is this normal?
I am aware of prop kick / walk from power boats I have owned previously. But the Hunter doesn't seem to want to turn much in reverse in either direction. Do they have left handed props on?

Well thats all from me, I am worn out from two days on the water and I have the motion feeling like I am still on the boat :)

Many thanks
Andy
Hi Andy we do have a Hunter owners site in the uk but we go under the name of Legend owners association and they are quite active as you some people do get them mixed up with a British Hunters club different boats completely, Regards Nigel

Dec 12, 2008
legend 295 med
Hi Andy. I live in the U.K. and have a Legend 295 which is a very similar boat. I brought it in 2004 and it was a American built boat,made in 1995 . I joined the U.K. Leegend owners club with no problem . Are you confusing your boat with a British Hunter . These have been made for a long time and I think when Hunter yachts from America were imported they had to change their name to Hunter Legend . If so let me know and I will give you the details of the U.K. Legend club . You should be able to join with no problems . If I can help you with anything re your boat let me know . We have sail our 295 to greece and have been there for 11 years , cheers ,Keith .

Oct 10, 2020
Many Thanks, I did try to join the HA. I didn't realise they were different. I will join the UK Legend Club at some point soon.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I will join the UK Legend Club at some point soon.
Bah ! Stick around here. Hell of a lot more lively, particularly when someone mentions anchors or propellers.

And speaking of anchors, if anyone here can justify a lightweight FORTRESS ALUMINUM anchor ............... #&$*@%!#. What a load of absolute .............. *&!)&%#$! :yikes::yikes::yikes:.

Oct 10, 2020
I certainly am sticking around here. I have had some fantastic advice so far. It's a great resource for a newbie like me.

Can't help with the Anchor though, my boat has one, but I haven't used it yet :(

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Good Morning,

Many thanks for the warm welcome and help.
The boats I have previously owned (Mastercraft and Correct Craft) also had prop walk, which I did use to my advantage. The MC used to kick in starboard and the CC on port. This just meant that I would dock to the side that the prop walk gave me an advantage. I haven't quite worked out which way my Hunter goes as it's been windy and that was swinging the boat as well. It's not going to be so much of a problem at my home mooring as its simple, wide and easy to get into. The place I purchased the boat from had finger pontoons and it was very tight.

I will find a shielded wide area to practice going in reverse a bit faster than I have been going. I would say its quite possible I wasn't using enough power as I was nervous about backing into another boat.

I have attached a picture of the prop, its a 2 blade.

I will take a look in the archives, this is going to be a great resource for me to learn from. Thank you again for taking your time to help me.

Andy
From prop blade curves, looks like your prop walk to Port.
Some owners here reported good result using Pledge to clean and clear up blur Dodger windscreen.

Ken Y

Dec 12, 2008
legend 295 med
Hi Andy. Just noticed you live in Brightlingsea . I live in Woodbridge and often go to colchester . I think I said to you I have a 295 which is a very similar boat to you . If you want to meet any time let me know . E mail is keiththewash@hotmail.com ,cheers Keith

Oct 10, 2020
Thanks Keith, that sounds great. Other than bringing the boat back from Foxs in Ipswich, I haven't been out on it yet as the weather has been really nasty.

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Welcome to the group Andy. I once had dodger windows i couldn't see through, started off with the standard headlight/ plastic restorer and believe it or not ended up actually using a rubbing compound then polishing and a vinyl cleaner/protectent with great results.
This might raise eyebrows here but the windows were way beyond their useful life but not brocken and that actually resurrected them for a couple of years enough so that I could see through them.