Vinyl, last chance

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

A while back there was a post on vinyl either dodgers or bimini's. I had been doing OK with ours using I-mar to clean and wax the vinyl but the sun was getting ahead of me. Yesterday we were walking the dock between projects and happened to pass a fellow working on his 45 foot Hatteras. He was using Pledge on his enclosure around the back deck. I chatted with him a while and it appears like he had good results on his waxing. So today we picked up a can of Pledge lemon scented and waxed the two sections of vinyl that were slated to be tossed in the trash. Amazingly they looked refreshed and clear next to the other panels. I'll keep you posted on the long term results.

All U Get

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Unless it is Strataglass, Pledge is probably okay. From an article in Practical Sailor if you can get to it w/o a subscription
https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/Ultimate-Guide-to-Caring-for-Clear-Plastic-11288-1.html

Strataglass user’s maintenance guide states the following: “We recommend using only Imar Products, Imar Strataglass Protective Polish, Imar Strataglass Protective Cleaner, and mild soap (preferably Imar Yacht Soap Concentrate) on Strataglass. We no longer recommend the use of any other products, regardless of the manufacturer’s claims. Use of harsh cleaners like Simple Green and/or pine will dull the curtains quickly. Using any other product(s) void the factory warranty.” It goes on to warn against RAINEX, Pledge, or Plexus and says that scratch removers and other products made for “regular, un-coated vinyl will damage Strataglass.”

Oct 2, 2008
Great idea. How bad was the vinyl that you applied the pledge to?
Cracking, foggy, and darkened areas. We’re going to replace the Bimini next year so we will chance some cleaning products. All Imar products worked well but took multiple steps.

All U Get

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've had test panels in my yard and on my roof for the past 6 years, getting every imaginable wax treatment.

Does anyone have ANY third party evidence that ANY wax product provides ANY UV protection? Certainly sunscreen is only good for a few hours.

This is not a joke. I am seriously interested in any data from a scholarly, independent source. So far, everything I've read is discouraging.

That said, wax does reduce fogging in high humidity in un-coated vinyl, and it improves gloss on any porous material, obviously. The practice of applying and buffing wax can maintain a shine on gelcoat, but on vinyl, the risk of scratching the material is real.

Oct 2, 2008
Just a side note, with the warm day today we got a number of honey bees aboard because of the lemon scent. Since we're currently on the Sassafras River, Md there are a lot of farms locally with hives. We had to encourage them to leave then close up the cockpit.

All U Get

Oct 2, 2008
I've had test panels in my yard and on my roof for the past 6 years, getting every imaginable wax treatment.

This is not a joke. I am seriously interested in any data from a scholarly, independent source. So far, everything I've read is discouraging.
We've had some strataglass from Sailrite that my wife made enclosure parts for our bimini four years ago. They have only been cleaned by Imar products and get little salt spray since they are the back pieces. They are now showing a sort of sparkling when hit with the morning or evening sun. But the cockpit is also the workshop for cleaning parts and gets some exhaust when we have following winds. Add that with the year round UV and we expect to replace them again soon. The little holes from a hail storm are a nice segue for a cruising story.

All U Get

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We've had some strataglass from Sailrite
We were about to do our cleaning and protective treatment for the fall season, when this post caught my attention.

I did some "web research" to make sure I was using the recommended cleaning/treatments.

I did find a link to Strataglass "how to" , but funny they don't a like few things.
_________
NEVER:

• Use Windex, Rain-X, Pledge, Plexus, Simple Green, Orpine or any other harsh cleaner to clean Strataglass products. This will void the warranty.
  • Use a car wax or any kind of wash and wax to protect Strataglass products. This will void the warranty.
  • Use cleaners, polishes, scratch removers, or any products intended for commercial grade vinyl or plastic. This may damage the Strataglass and void the warranty.
1) UV light degrades the plastic. [in fact all plastics]
2) Plasticizers added make it flexible.
2) Surface scratches distort the light passing through the sheeting.
4) Age warping or what I call "plastic creeping" is probably my biggest problem to clear vision.

I applaude all testing, so keep us informed.:clap:

I will do some a before and after pictures to see what happens with the expensive stuff.

Jim...

PS: I am sure my Strataglass warranty is long gone:rolleyes:. 14 year OEM stuff.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I am sure that my dodger has 30 gauge eisenglass (spelling?) considering what I paid for it. Anyway I am going to give pledge a try on one of my side pieces.
The glass is not that scratched , stained or cloudy. I would like to maintain it, as it is 5 yrs. old. I have used cleaners/polish from WM. Truth be told I am not to impressed, with any of the ones I have tried.
I will be interested to read any follow up on all product testing.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I am sure that my dodger has 30 gauge eisenglass (spelling?) considering what I paid for it. Anyway I am going to give pledge a try on one of my side pieces.
The glass is not that scratched , stained or cloudy. I would like to maintain it, as it is 5 yrs. old. I have used cleaners/polish from WM. Truth be told I am not to impressed, with any of the ones I have tried.
I will be interested to read any follow up on all product testing.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
FWIW I used Pledge on my dodger for well over 7 years when I lived aboard with no ill effects. The dodger was old when I bought the boat but the windows were covered when it was in the slip so they had only minimal scratches. I would simply wipe them down before I headed out and they would be clear as day. Eventually the dodger stitching failed but the windows still looked like new with no yellowing or staining.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I've always used 210 with good results.
upload_2017-10-26_13-18-20.gif

Any opinions using Pledge on the internal woodwork? Long term effects?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I've always used 210 with good results.
View attachment 142269

Any opinions using Pledge on the internal woodwork? Long term effects?
I have always avoided using products with silicone on my wood for fear of having fish-eyes when they were refinished. (Disclaimer: I used Pledge on my sports cars in the 1960's on vinyl, leather, and clear vinyl back windows. But, I didn't keep them for long.) Here is an article on silicone on wood and a link to a product we have used for the last 30 years. (BTW, I had an awful time getting a car painted in the 70's since I had been using a silicone wax.)
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?10440-What-s-The-Low-Down-On-Pledge
http://www.howardproducts.com/product/feed-n-wax-wood-polish-and-conditioner/

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I did find a link to Strataglass "how to" , but funny they don't a like few things.
_________
NEVER:

• Use Windex, Rain-X, Pledge, Plexus, Simple Green, Orpine or any other harsh cleaner to clean Strataglass products. This will void the warranty.
  • Use a car wax or any kind of wash and wax to protect Strataglass products. This will void the warranty.
  • Use cleaners, polishes, scratch removers, or any products intended for commercial grade vinyl or plastic. This may damage the Strataglass and void the warranty.
Funny thing is Strataglass actually used to manufacture their own cleaner and treatment products. They then tested IMAR and shortly there after stopped recommending & selling their own product. The Strataglass rep actually told me there were pallets of their own product in the back of the warehouse collecting dust. Sometimes it is about the reputation of the product that means more than making a few extra pennies. They recommend IMAR, over their own product, because it works extremely well even when it does not financially benefit them.

Glenn Raven Mills/Sunbrella does the same with 303 Fabric Guard. Not their product, but they have found nothing better and it helps maintain their reputation, and the fabric, better than any other fabric treatment.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After closer inspection we used these products and NOT what I recalled above....

Vinyl Cleaner

and

Vinyl UV Protector

I am attaching the before cleaning and after pictures. These are OEM 1997 boat windows, but in dealers showroom until 4/1999 and has canvas protective covers.
_____
We had removed the Bimini and dodger for Hurricane Nate, so it was easier to clean ashore.

Procedure...
1) Wiped down both sides of the vinyl window[VW] with a microfiber, water wet only cloth. [Pict#1 BEFORE results]
2) Laid the VW's flat in the sun to warm, allowing "flattening" and "flexibility"
3) Put down a white beach towel (on our kitchen island) to give a soft surface and clearer view of VW transparency, stains, and scratches.
4) Spray misted with Cleaner, rubbed in circular motion both sides. We had a few "stubborn" water marks and stains.
5) Repeated #4 with the Protector [Pict#2 AFTER results]

Disappointments...
1) Minor "rusty" stains and rub marks were against the Bimini support [rubs], not removed. Doesn't affect view.:rolleyes:
2) A few minor scratches were not "filled" to restore visibility, but not a biggie.

The last picture was done to show clarity and installed view of my son-in-laws boat, at berth.

B4vinyl.jpg AfterVinyl.jpg VinylViewSearay.jpg

IMHO I am NOT replacing them in near future.:)
Jim...

PS: That Red Bucket in pict# 3 didn't blow away during Hurricane Nate:rolleyes: