cloudy dodger windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2004
Oday 34 Wauwatosa, WI
In an attempt to be able to actually see through our dodger windows, I purchased all three Novus Plastic Polish grades, 3, 2 and 1. Starting with number 3, and ending with number 1 I got the center panel to where it was pretty good. That was last week. This week, the cloudiness is back. The bottom 2 inches or so are very cloudy, to where you can't even see through them, and the rest of the panel is just generally distorted enough to make navigation difficult, especially at night. It seems that the cloudiness at the bottom is on the surface - not all the way through, and if I go through the steps again, I am sure it will look fine again, but I really don't want to do this every week. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than replacing all the windows in the dodger? The boat is new to us, so I don't know what may have been used on the windows previously, but they didn't look bad when we got it. Thanks, Scott

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Well, Scott.....

If the boat is new to you, do you know how old the windows are? At some point they simply reach end-of-life and must be replaced. Personally, I use Meguiar's Cleaner and Polish for plastic. I forget what the numbers of the products are, but they are commonly available. If the windows have been neglected for a long while, they are likely not to respond to any cleaning treatment. Since you say they looked OK a short while ago, this senerio seems unlikely. Sorry, wish I could offer more....

Oct 15, 2004
Oday 34 Wauwatosa, WI
I think you're right

Rich, I suspect they have served their useful life. The problem is, I can't replace the dodger right now, and I think the dodger itself is probably too old to be worth putting new windows in. I may just try to put new ones in myself - not much to lose!

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Some vinyls pick up moisture and .....

become cloudy until the absorbed moisture dries-out. Many of the older vinyls from the 80s and earlier do this easily. If you cover the vinyl windows with a protective 'over-cloth', discontinue the practice with these windows. Obviously a lot a rain and extreme humidity will also do this to such vulnerable vinyl windows. If this is truely the case of moisture absorbtion for your windows, changing them out for one of the 'newer' window materials such a 'strataGlass', etc. is the only solution.

R

Ron

Rolite

Last week I brought some real clear vision back to my Lexan with a product called Rolite that I got at my local chandlery. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way. It comes in a tube with the consistency of toothpaste. Try a sample area first.

Status
Not open for further replies.