Dodger window cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
I purchased my boat a couple of months ago and one of the items I'm just now addressing is the dodger. Specifically, the transparent windscreen is no longer very transparent but rather blurry to the point that you can't see anything clearly through it. Is there anything I can do to clean and improve this? I'm sure there are some products out there but I'd rather check with you guys first before the marine store empties my wallet.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Doug: It depends on the material. We have a similar issue with our Lexan windows and will probably just have the windows replaced.

You may want to try some of the Meguires products. Brasso also sometimes has good results. I would try a small area and see what happens before you tackle the entire window.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
I sent mine to North sails, they cleaned the sunbrella fabric, re stitched as needed and replaced the curved side windows. The front window I had replaced with a product called Stratoglas, which they said is a big improvement in visibility. It doesn't take curves well so I only did the front with it. It wasn't alot of money either, so give them a call and get a quote. I really enjoy the clear view forward now.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Thanks folks. I'll try the cleaner first and then get a quote to replace the front window from North Sails.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
It was 330.00 or something close for the repairs, cleaning and 3 panels inc front stratoglas...

nice blog Doug. I don't have one but a member here does. http://www.squamishyachtclub.blogspot.ca/

Hope you come up for a visit, we have reciprocal moorage and the govt dock has room if you call ahead.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Strataglass is a different animal. You need to only use approved cleaning products. Check them out before you try anything else on them. Of course if the material is shot then it does not make much difference.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
It was 330.00 or something close for the repairs, cleaning and 3 panels inc front stratoglas...

nice blog Doug. I don't have one but a member here does. http://www.squamishyachtclub.blogspot.ca/

Hope you come up for a visit, we have reciprocal moorage and the govt dock has room if you call ahead.
Would love to visit! Last Saturday the wind was blowing beautifully up Howe Sound. Are you a livaboard? Noticed you've got TV with Blueray - sweet.

Best on board entertainment I have is a bottle of Oban and the stereo. :)

Feb 12, 2013
C&C 35 MKIII k/c Rock Creek, Chesapeake
I purchased my boat a couple of months ago and one of the items I'm just now addressing is the dodger. Specifically, the transparent windscreen is no longer very transparent but rather blurry to the point that you can't see anything clearly through it. Is there anything I can do to clean and improve this? I'm sure there are some products out there but I'd rather check with you guys first before the marine store empties my wallet.
Stratglass is one of the best window materials as it give great clarity as well as very little distortion like Eisenglass and some of the more inexpensive glasses.

It must be taken care of. When docked and the boat is left for periods of time like between weekend, a sunbrella cover is a nice protecteant from UV as well as dirt.

Stratglass should only be washed with PLAIN water or a special soap. Great care to rinse off the salt, dirt must be goiven so as not to scratch the surface while doing it. Never use scartching materials to wash or dry it either.

After washing we apply the polish which fillls in the glass pores and does a great job preventing scratches and repairing small ones. Also repells water like rainex.

The cleaner/polish can be used on other types of glasses.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...sc_googlepla&gclid=CN-l2q6G-LUCFYje4AodIjwAwQ

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...sc_googlepla&gclid=CN-l2q6G-LUCFYje4AodIjwAwQ

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
you have Oban and a stereo!
After I bought the Oban I couldn't afford the stereo

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Stratglass is one of the best window materials as it give great clarity as well as very little distortion like Eisenglass and some of the more inexpensive glasses.

It must be taken care of. When docked and the boat is left for periods of time like between weekend, a sunbrella cover is a nice protecteant from UV as well as dirt.

Stratglass should only be washed with PLAIN water or a special soap. Great care to rinse off the salt, dirt must be goiven so as not to scratch the surface while doing it. Never use scartching materials to wash or dry it either.

After washing we apply the polish which fillls in the glass pores and does a great job preventing scratches and repairing small ones. Also repells water like rainex.

The cleaner/polish can be used on other types of glasses.

Thanks for the link. 25 bucks a spray bottle, wow.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Would love to visit! Last Saturday the wind was blowing beautifully up Howe Sound. Are you a livaboard? Noticed you've got TV with Blueray - sweet.

Best on board entertainment I have is a bottle of Oban and the stereo. :)
Admiral likes her movies on rainy days. We are not living aboard or retired yet. We just try to get away when we can both get the time.
There is a fine brew pub a block from the docks as well,Howe Sound Brew Pub. PM me when you are coming, we will meet up and visit at our club or moor somewhere like Halkett Bay. We also have some sunday club races.
By 1230 hrs in summer, the ''Inflow Express'' will be blowing down Howe Sound, strengthening to 30 plus close in to Squamish, where you will see up to 40 kiteboarders and windsurfers ripping it up, an impressive sight.
Paul

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Flitz

Saw at Miami sailboat show demo using Flitz polish with buffer on clear window dodger window.
Nick

McZube

Apr 5, 2012
Hunter 31 Chesapeake Bay, MD
I discovered by accident that chrome polish works great on these windows.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What’s the Best Way to Restore Clear Plastic Windows?

Practical Sailor tests 27 products that clean, restore, and polish soft vinyl boat windows.

Preserving a clear view through clear plastic on dodgers or enclosures is one of the most challenging tasks in boat maintenance. Restoring a vinyl window is almost impossible, but that doesn’t stop the tide of products that claim to make this job easy. Practical Sailor’s eisenglass cleaners test looks at 27 products touted primarily as cleaners or treatments for vinyl windows. The test products were divided into type: cleaners, scratch repairers, polish protectants, and UV protectants. After a week of testing, we found Imar Strataglass Protective Cleaner and Imar Strataglass Protective Polish, distributed by Defender Industries, to be the Best Choice. Collinite No. 845 Insulator Wax and Mer-Maids Plexiglass Plastic Cleaner and Polish were the Budget Buys. The test also included products from the following manufacturers: 303, 3M, Aquatech, Armada, Davies, Marykate, Meguiar’s. Mothers, Novus, Plexus, Sailor’s Solutions, Star brite, Turtle Wax, West Marine, and Yacht Brite.

We use Plexus.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Stratiglas is a first class company. Several years ago, my dodger windows, which were made out of stratiglas, developed an appearance of a gummy material that resembled the dimples on a basketball, but were cloudy/clear. The windows were 5 years old and I had called stratiglas to find out what they would recommend to clean it off. I did not expect any warranty on the material as they were 5 years old! They had me get my canvas maker to send them a sample of the material. They called back, said it was a manufacturing defect that had shown up and agreed to furnish new material to my canvas maker AT NO COST! They sent me new material and I paid only for the installation of the new panels. I use rubbing alcohol to clean them after a quick rinse with water. The "new" windows are now 5 years old and look band new. This is a first rate company that makes a first rate product and stands behind it. It is well worth the upgrade cost above standard eisenglass. It was also very refreshing to find a company with their integrity!! Please support this product.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Usage per $$$

Thanks for the link. 25 bucks a spray bottle, wow.
Yea, but you don't use that much. Plain water is fine. If you wash, mild soap only. My Strataglass is ten years old and still OK.

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
I also recommend Plexus. The instructions say "spray on and wipe off". Not so easy in real life. My dodger was really bad, but take a look at the photo. The clear part on the left side is after, and started out like the right side.

The plastic had a tacky feel to it. I worked small areas, spray on and let it sit (it looks foggy at first) until it starts to run after about 30 seconds. Then work it with a microfiber cloth. Repeat if necessary.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.