Problem with jib halyard

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Honestly it's the cost.
If Its not a necessity, to take it down, I'd rather use that expense on another part of the boat.
I appreciate your logic of spending the $ on new parts etc. I got agitated twice a year having to pay lots of money to step the mast.

I was working off your comments about the integrity of the halyards to accomplish the climb safely and your comfort level of being up 50 some feet above the deck. I’ve never climbed a boat mast but have been on silos (that didn’t move either) and its really not a lot of fun (or I didn’t find it so anyway). Walking 50ft on the ground is simple, looking down the same distance dangling off a rope is not identical.

Going up for an inspection or a minor repair is one thing but you seem to have a list of things you want to make right so you might feel like a it’s a lifetime up there and possibly get in trouble if you are nervous.

Working on the ground at your leisure where you can check absolutely everything shrouds, spreaders etc has a “value” as well.
Just sayin. ;)

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
Another factor is , the locations that can get my mast down will not allow me to do my own work on their property.

I've considered hauling it home where I could take my time and do everything I want without the 8 hours of driving. But I've heard the saying, once in my yard, there it would probably remain.

I'm not looking forward to the climb, not found of heights but do have a history of rock climbing and climbing light poles. The light poles did away a little.

I plan on planning an order of doing things to limit the number of times I go up

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Jackdaw
Thank you for responding. I wondered if the furling extrusion is too long or jib too long. I am looking at clearances and running of the jib halyard binding?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
@Jackdaw
Thank you for responding. I wondered if the furling extrusion is too long or jib too long. I am looking at clearances and running of the jib halyard binding?
The angles and clearances at the top of the jib furler look good to me. That’s typical for a Profurl furler with the Profurl wrapstopper at the top.

Some Profurls have a proprietary system at the top in which the upper swivel has a tang on the top which contacts the wrap stopper to prevent the jib halyard from wrapping around the forestay.

Some newer versions don't have a tang, just a shackle. There should be about 1.5-2" of extrusion showing between the wrap stop and the upper swivel when the sail is fully hoisted.

Judy B

Last edited: