Problem with jib halyard

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
I have a 88 hunter legend 37. I had the boat moved right after purchase and after the marina put the mast back up I began having a problem with my jib halyard. Whats going on is; I can pull the halyard from the jib end and it pulls ok. but when i try to pull from the other end to raise the jib it immediately jams and wont budge. Its not just in one area. I can pull 5 ft one way and cant the other, so now I have l a lot of slack from the mast down and about 10 ft before i Ioose the other end into the bottom of the mast..Without climbing the mast, has anyone else had a similar issue or an idea of what is causing the problem. All other halyards and sheets work fine

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had the opposite problem on a Coronado 25 I used to own. I could easily raise the jib but lowering it required hanging on the luff. In my case I had a wire to rope halyard. I can imagine that when you try to raise it, (because the line is pulling straight down on the sheave) the angle the line makes coming over the sheave forces the line to get wedged between the sheave and the housing. But when you try to lower it, because the angle is not straight down but angled to the bow, the line lifts enough to get out of the wedge ...to come down

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Afraid the best solution is discovery. This means going up the mast for inspection. Does the sheave spin on the shaft. It could have been damaged during removal or replacement. Not unusual. If the sheave is at an angle that might explain the difference. It will not fix itself. Will only get worse.

Also inspection of the halyard should be included. The movement from one site to a mother may have chafed the line.

Be safe if you decide to climb the mast.

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
Thanks rgranger. Sounds like i'm climbing the mast. I hope thats all it is. Ill be replacing some of the before spring.
Another question is. is it easy enough to tie a heavy duty string to the end of one halyard and then to the new and just pull it through.

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
I have to replace the main halyard to climb the mast. I don't trust the current halyard.

Jan 19, 2010
Well if you have decided to climb the mast, you might as well get the sheave replacement parts before you go up.... and a new anchor and steaming light bulb...if you have not already switched to LED you may want to think about that... and some dry lube for all of the moving parts... and now that you are going to be up there so long, you may want to pack a sandwich as well. :biggrin:

Jan 19, 2010
Probably 2 sheaves , fore and aft, if it jumped the aft one it would jam going up but run free down.
There you go...:thumbup: That is probably it. On my Coronado, it was the forward sheave that jumped.

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
I am sure you all have given me the right answer. Cant thank you enough. I do need to replace the sheaves with all running rigging, wiring and everything else. The mast really needs to come back down so I can do everything i need to do. But that will be some time from now. I really just want to be able to get the sails up in the spring and enjoy her until i have the time and money to do all that needs done.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The sheave may be damaged. There is a spindle, maybe bearings, something to keep the spindle in, etc.

I’d go up on the main halyard, and, if you have a spinnaker halyard, have that as a safety.

Did the bar ever have roller furling on the jib? Sometimes there is a guide below the halyard to keep the line from wrapping. I’ve seen those mangled or binding. If you changed line diameters or have a fuzzy halyard from wear.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you can get your hands on a still or video camera with zoom lens, you may be able to get a better idea as to what is going on....

I took these when trying to get an idea how my spinnaker halyard was rigged up on the mast...

IMG_1168.JPG

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
If you can get your hands on a still or video camera with zoom lens, you may be able to get a better idea as to what is going on....

I took these when trying to get an idea how my spinnaker halyard was rigged up on the mast...

View attachment 171924

Greg
Great idea.... also see if you know a kid with a drone (or adult) I have a drone with a very nice camera that I can control with my phone. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. If you don't know someone, you can buy one at Walmart for less than $70.

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
SG... when I had the survey everything worked well. Of course the jib was on the roller. I had the boat moved a few weeks later. moved an hour and a half north then put back in the water and mast back up. when I decided to put the jib back on, I noticed the problem. The main halyard is in fair condition and the spinnaker halyard is toast. I will have to replace both before climbing. I wish I had some drawing of the items you mentioned.

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
tally ho... The picture i posted is zoomed all the way in with my phone. Don't like drones but have other cameras. I figured it was an internal problem so didn't try to look closer.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
tally ho... The picture i posted is zoomed all the way in with my phone. Don't like drones but have other cameras. I figured it was an internal problem so didn't try to look closer.
I used a DSLR with a 50-300 zoom lens. Probably can’t get enough zoom with a phone camera.

But if you go up the mast, you can get a good close-up...;-)
AF6FAB7E-DDB3-437D-A8B4-A60E6B5B95FD.jpeg

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
When you do get ready to replace the worn halyards, we have a great rig shop and pre-measured halyards for the h37.5 and h37 in your choice of colors:

Also, replacement sheaves:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
SG... when I had the survey everything worked well. Of course the jib was on the roller. I had the boat moved a few weeks later. moved an hour and a half north then put back in the water and mast back up. when I decided to put the jib back on, I noticed the problem. The main halyard is in fair condition and the spinnaker halyard is toast. I will have to replace both before climbing. I wish I had some drawing of the items you mentioned.

I don't know about your masthead conditions. The "restrainer" is used to keep the lead from the swivel twisting around the foil. (Sometimes people just use a strap vs. the harken "Restrainer" to save money. This is from the Harken manual:

Is it easer to install the furler on the mast when the mast is down or up?

If the mast is down for storage or for other work, the assembled furler can be attached and go up with the mast when it is stepped. Removing the stay and raising the assembled furler on a standing mast is best left to experts and professional riggers.
You offer a Harken Halyard Deflector as an option. What is a halyard deflector?
The Harken Halyard Deflector prevents the jib halyard and other halyards (such as a spinnaker or additional jib halyards) from wrapping around the foil.
What is the difference between the Harken Halyard Deflector and the Harken Halyard Restrainer?
The Harken Halyard Deflector
installs on the stay above the foil system and prevents the jib halyard and other halyards from wrapping around the foil.
The Harken Halyard Restrainer installs on the mast near the top of the foils and keeps the line against the mast. This provides a better angle to the halyard swivel and prevents it from wrapping around the foil. Stainless steel brackets feature hardcoat-anodized aluminum sheaves that accommodate both wire and rope.

The problem with pull-it up vs. pull-it down could be a bunch of things. Eyeballs are going to be necessary. Where are you located Riversloth?