Ethanol Gas vs. TruFuel (Ethanol Free)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
About 4 years ago I began using TruFuel or similar in much of my equipment. Prior to this I had tried every "stabilizer" known to man, none really did much of anything. The ethanol problem got so bad I was physically replacing the carbs on 2006 or newer equipment yearly. The pathways are even too small for ultrasonic cleaning. My Honda HRX mower had the carb replaced 4 years in a row and this was after "emptying the bowl" and trying everything Honda suggested...

So how does the ethanol free fuel do?

Honda HRX Mower = 100% TruFuel 4 years. Quarter pull each year since I began using it and I am not draining the bowl. No carb repairs or cleanings at all. Prior to TrueFuel nothing but issues each spring.

Stihl Weed Whacker =
100% TruFuel 4 years. Starts first pull each year since I began using it and I am not draining the bowl. No carb repairs or cleanings at all.

Husqvarna Chain Saw =
100% TruFuel 4 years. Starts first pull each year since I began using it and I am not draining the bowl. No carb repairs or cleanings at all.

Stihl Hedge Trimmer =

Honda Snowblower = 100% TruFuel 3 years. Starts first pull each year. I am not draining the bowl. No carb repairs or cleanings at all.

Yamaha 2.5 HP 4 Stroke Outboard = 100% TruFuel 3.5 years. Starts first pull each year since I began using it and I am not draining the bowl. No carb repairs or cleanings at all.

Honda EU2000 Generator = 100% TruFuel 4 years. Starts first pull each year since I began using it and I am not draining the bowl. No carb repairs or cleanings at all.

Yamaha 50CC 2 Stroke Scooter = 100% TruFuel 4 years. HAD NOT EVEN BEEN STARTED IN TWO YEARS! Started last weekend with one kick.

Tohatsu 9.8 Two Stroke = Ran TruFuel through for last 4 hours of run time. Started first pull.

Johnson 40HP Two Stroke (my work skiff) = No TruFuel used Marine Stabil in fall for last two tanks. 9.5 hours of labor in cleaning and re-building carbs this spring. Running like a top when stored for winter carbs looked like a restaurant grease trap this spring...

Generac 5500W Generator =
No TruFuel (tank is very large so opted for "stabilizer") would not start today when Microbust killed power.. Carb is a caked gummy mess. Just ordered a new carb.

Amazing differences and surely not a coincidence... My carb issues have 100% stopped on the engines I am using ethanol free fuel in!! But sure, ethanol causes no problems....

Despite the insane cost of this fuel I am MILES ahead in savings..... The Generac will now be 100% TruFuel and my work skiff will run at least 4 hours of TruFuel before being stored.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Thank God Willie Nelson and company are getting rich off the sale of ethanol that "causes no harm" to engines. My Tohatsu outboard has started to have fuel related problems and this is after a full service by the dealer. I'm so disgusted I could scream.:banghead:

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Hmm, I've only had one carb problem with all my seasonal engines that I have ever owned. On the other hand, I have bought several engines with carb problems, and cleaned the carbs and have always been fine. I do drain the tanks and run my carbs dry when I put them away for the season. If you have one that is a little ornery on fresh seasonal startup, run some Sea Foam through it. That usually cures most clogged carbs.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Same issue on our Stihl chainsaw. Ethanol fuel literally dissolved the fuel pickup tube! So how're we gonna get rid of that junk fuel?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I strongly agree with Maine Sails assessment.
I have posted previously that I am a strong proponent of the ethanol free fuel, (and of seafoam for dissolving the deposits left by the ethanol fuels)
I have used the seafoam for many years to minimize the effects of the ethanol, but I have been using ethanol free fuel exclusivly for 7 years in all my equipment, tools and toys, and I have found that it doesnt leave any traces of gum or sludge behind.
and so I dont have to drain the systems for winter lay up, and the engines start up at the beginning of the season like it was only ran last week... the hard starting and carb maintenance costs have been eliminated, so with as many pieces of equipment as I have, paying the higher cost for the ethanol fuel actually saves me money...

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
How to find non ethanol gas, see link below . The closest for Mainesail is Northeast air at Portland airport but is 100 octane. The best place would be Sanford airport that carries 91 octane non ethanol. The closest to me is Hampton airport price is usually $1 more that regular gas but it is worth it. The last time I was there, when I went to the pump there was a man there with one of those long flat 20 gal portable tanks and three 5 gal jerry cans. He mumbled something about having to spend thousands to rebuild his engines and this is what his mechanic recommended. I was just filling up my 3 gal outboard tank.
http://www.pure-gas.org/

Note most places will allow you to fill gas cans but you can't fill your vehicles directly because of road taxes etc..

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Yep, the marinas near me sell ethanol free fuel and I only get fuel from them. I will not put ethanol in any of my outboards anymore after I watched a fuel hose break down after a few seasons of ethanol.

Sure, it is okay for cars designed to handle it. Older stuff and 2 cycle engines HATE it. Mainesail is right, if you value your equipment don't put ethanol in it.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Why is it that the government forces us to use crap gasoline that everybody knows is bad for engines? And we get to pay more for our food as well because the corn is going to ethanol instead of our food and feed for livestock. Don't get me going.....

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
We are lucky here in that there are several stations that sell ethanol free gasoline. The Valero guys refinery that blends it is just down the road a few miles... I usually have 15 gallons on hand in case of hurricane power outages; it has Stabil and Seafoam in it.. Nothing but that goes in all the small engines.. No problems with letting them sit for a few months between running.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Why is it that the government forces us to use crap gasoline that everybody knows is bad for engines? And we get to pay more for our food as well because the corn is going to ethanol instead of our food and feed for livestock. Don't get me going.....
uh you answered your own question

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I had a Bayliner 175 Capri when I lived in Fl. One season the engine just would not start. I thought someone put sugar in my tank. Mechanic said it was ethanol. Total carbeurator rebuild. Fortunately I do not have any more gasoline powered toys.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Thats why I love living in SoCal... the VP race fuel I use in my Ducati, 103 octane and zero ethanol. If you live an Arizona, you can buy at the pump!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Yep! Buy ethanol free at the marina for outboard/honda 2000/generac gen at home. Never any issues.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I just received this from BoatUS, comments to the EPA on ethanol. You can find it by logging on to BoatUS and using the news/govt tab or this link. Needs to be in by July 11.
http://www.boatus.com/gov/
Just sent mine in.
All U Get

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Why is it that the government forces us to use crap gasoline that everybody knows is bad for engines?
Because corn comes from Iowa, and Iowa is the always the first state in the Presidential primary elections. The candidates all want to come out looking strong by winning Iowa. And the way you win in Iowa is to promise the Iowa corn farmers that you, as President, will continue to sodomize the entire United States with "gasahol" for another four years.

It's really as simple as that.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Battery was dead, had to kick start...:doh:Bought it for my wife the last year Yamaha made a street legal two-stroke scooter.....
Oh. I thought you spelled Harley Davidson Road King wrong.