Ethanol Gas vs. TruFuel (Ethanol Free)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I just wish we had the option. I am not sure if our marina fuel station is e10 or not. I will have to ask them next time I add fuel.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
If you run high-octane avgas in a low-compression motor you are not doing the motor any favors. Irregardless of how little ethanol it may contain.
High octane rating in low compression motor is fine... The reverse spells disaster...

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
In the Seattle area there are a number of corn free gas stations. I frequently visit Puyallup and Issaquah for the Ducati. Don't get me started on the tank swelling problems.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
When I bought a chainsaw, the guy at the Stihl retailer offered to sell me ethanol free gas whenever I needed it. You might want to try one in your area to see if they carry it for customers. No idea the price since I didn't buy any.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
High octane avgas is not the same as high-octane motor gas. Avgas contains way more lead than even the old motor gas contained. Using Avgas in an engine not designed for it will foul plugs, and corrode the exhaust valves with lead. We used to run it in street bikes and in an attempt to keep the plugs clear would run hotter plugs..which caused pre-ignition problems, exactly what we were attempting to avoid.

http://www.shell.com/business-custo...entre/technical-talk/techart-18-30071600.html

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
When I bought a chainsaw, the guy at the Stihl retailer offered to sell me ethanol free gas whenever I needed it. You might want to try one in your area to see if they carry it for customers. No idea the price since I didn't buy any.
Stihl offers their own version of TruFuel and they call it Stihl MotoMix, Husqvarna offers one too.. With Stihl if you purchase 1 gallon of it, at the time you purchase the equipment, Stihl will double the warranty. Pretty much a no-brainer. There are many versions of a TruFuel type product out there but they are all very expensive.......

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Stihl offers their own version of TruFuel and they call it Stihl MotoMix, Husqvarna offers one too.. With Stihl if you purchase 1 gallon of it, at the time you purchase the equipment, Stihl will double the warranty. Pretty much a no-brainer. There are many versions of a TruFuel type product out there but they are all very expensive.......
The clue in this is that gasoline is really very stable IF it is sealed from air and water. I've kept samples in bottles for years as controls for experiments, and there is generally no change. The same is generally true of diesel. (There are minor exceptions in both cases, but not really with US fuels.)

Thus the key is to limit breathing. Dependably closing vents on small outboards really helps. Vent filters help (they reduce both water absorption and oxygen transfer). These have been used in industry for 50 years.

Another factor is corrosion products, specifically copper and zinc. Read any diesel engine maker recommendations for stand-by generators and they forbid copper, zinc, and their alloys. I learned 30 years ago to never spec copper or zinc in high temperature systems, where the effect is even greater. Not only can corrosion products clog jets, they also catalyze deterioration. Take 3 small glass jars. Place a few drops of water in each and fill with e10 (the water will dissolve--this represents normal absorption). Fill the other with e10. Place a penny in 2 of them. Come back in 6 months and observe the varnish in the one with water. (I've run this experiment and similar ones, with many variations.) The lesson is that the water does NOT have to form free layer. Any amount hurts in e10 because the ethanol allows mobility of corrosive ions.

If you can eliminate water that helps, but this is impossible in a carb. But you can stop the copper and aluminum catalyzed polymerization with a good additive.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
But nothing prevents the solvent effect of E10 that seems to eat through everything.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
But nothing prevents the solvent effect of E10 that seems to eat through everything.
Excuse me if I don't understand what material or components are being eaten?
Jim...

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
i think that would be activecaptain
There is no way to search for non ethanol fuel docks. You would have to go to every marina listing and MAYBE, MAYBE, that will be listed. Not an effective solution.

There used to be a marinefuel website but I think they folded

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Excuse me if I don't understand what material or components are being eaten?
Jim...
For me it was a weedeater fuel line... I usually buy E0 for all my small engines, but the place I was getting it from went out of business, so I used E10 and after a year the fuel line basically disintegrated.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Fuel lines are the worst. There have been a few boat fires as a result. My parents 2004 motorhome had the fuel line eaten through in about 4 years. Older type plastic fuel tanks that do no have an internal coating. I have yet to find any type of fuel tank sealer that is not dissolved by E10.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Two separate boats,2 outboard motors. Both times I had trouble,replaced fuel hose between tank and motors. Noticeable improvement, but had to deep clean the carbs. to get them running right.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Thought you guys would like to see this. The admiral decided to mow the lawn while I was away and used the wrong gas can to fill it up.
image.jpg

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
That's a lot of rusty water in the bottom layer. Was that known about the wrong gas can?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
It's here on Long Island.... I buy it from a small engine shop in port Jefferson. I have to say yes it is expensive ($30/gallon). But i do have to say I get great mileage out of the stuff. Fuel consumption in all engines I run the stuff in has improved noticeably. And all start and run like new.

Apr 20, 2016
coastal recreation Inc. Balboa-Aquarius 23 washington nc
As i tell my small engine customers buy non-ethanol or pay me to fix it if you continue using E10 or E15 ethanol gasoline. The non ethanol costs less and is less aggravating in the long run, I charge $60 an hour plus parts. We have 89 and 93 octane non ethanol available at most stations in eastern NC..... some people still don't get it, or maybe they just like seeing my smiling face as I present them the bill.