Ethanol Gas vs. TruFuel (Ethanol Free)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Starting about a year earlier, I conducted lab tests of ~ 8 additives, measuring corrosion in e-10. I've had many carb issues over the years, but once I started using the winner (Practical Sailor 2012) I have not had a single issue. 3 outboards and 3 home engines. The winner is not who you think it is, not the brand you tried.

I am reasonably certain the problem is not ethanol specifically, but rather the corrosion that occurs when ethanol draws water. The reason the deposits are hard to remove with solvent cleaners is that they are not entirely gum but also contain aluminum corrosion products, which are inorganic and not soluble in the cleaner. A secondary issue is that the copper and zinc ions (from Zemak and brass corrosion) catalyze polymerization, creating gum many times faster. Thus, an effective corrosion inhibitor solves both problem just as well pure gas, perhaps even better, for a few pennies. Since my main engines are gas, buying Trufuel in a tin can would be quite impractical, so I had to find a better answer.

So although I think the ethanol business is poor policy and wastes tax payer money for negative environmental impact, although I think moving to e15 is even more serious (in addition to all of the above it will increase the enleanment problem) I think calling e10 "crap fuel" is an exaggeration. It doesn't bother me at all anymore, now that I know the tricks.

* Keep vents closed when possible.
* Use an effective additive (Biobor EB or Merc storage).
* A vent filter helps for larger tanks.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Battery was dead, had to kick start...:doh:
Bought it for my wife the last year Yamaha made a legal two stroke.....
Oh. I thought you spelled Harley Davidson Road King wrong.
A Harley for me would be like buying a Cigarette Boat (AKA Mitch Boat) or a red Z-28, neither are ever going to happen. Even when all my buddies had crotch rockets in high school I was running a very understated two stroke RD350. (wish I had never sold that bike)

I am comfortable enough to drive both a Prius and my wife's scooter but I recognize some guys measure the size of their manliness by what they drive..... :biggrin: My next door neighbor drives a Ferrari Spyder with a glass engine hood and he snubs his nose at my wife's 70's "classic" 240 diesel. The Ferrari has not changed the fact that the guy is socially inept.......... :wink: Pop that Spyder engine under the hood of my Prius, and make it look stock & that's a car I can get behind... :D

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Bought it for my wife the last year Yamaha made a legal two stroke.....

A Harley for me would be like buying a Cigarette Boat (AKA Mitch Boat) or a red Z-28, neither are ever going to happen. Even when all my buddies had crotch rockets in high school I was running a very understated two stroke RD350. (wish I had never sold that bike)

I am comfortable enough to drive both a Prius and my wife's scooter but I recognize some guys measure the size of their manliness by what they drive..... :biggrin: My next door neighbor drives a Ferrari Spyder with a glass engine hood and he snubs his nose at my wife's 70's "classic" 240 diesel. The Ferrari has not changed the fact that the guy is socially inept.......... :wink: Pop that Spyder engine under the hood of my Prius, and make it look stock & that's a car I can get behind... :D
My first 'ride' as a teenager was a honda elite 50cc scooter with a restricted muffler to keep it under 25mph. It was dangerous as all hell being on two lane roads with no shoulder where traffic normally did 35-45mph. When I finally replaced that muffler, I was able to go a lighting fast 30mph!
As a kid growing up on the south shore of long island, I was always gaga about cigarettes. When the hot pink 40ft Fountain came out, i was all ***drool***.

Somewhere along the line I lost the urge to join that crowd, but I still love looking at those boats flying over the top of waves of the inlets at 70+ mph. When I'm sailing on LI sound, not so much as the sound is like the buzzing of mosquitoes from two miles away.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Why is it that the government forces us to use crap gasoline that everybody knows is bad for engines? And we get to pay more for our food as well because the corn is going to ethanol instead of our food and feed for livestock. Don't get me going.....
Too late!:laugh:

Folks it is not the Ethanol, so much, as the Water in the Ethanol!

US Fuel grade Ethanol has water in it.:(

I can buy non Ethanol gas in about every station now.:confused:

So why use another additive, unless your engine was designed to use it.
Jim...

PS: The Zombies should have picked this instead...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanol_fuel
Now you got me started. Rediscovered by 2 girls in High School science project.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Starting about a year earlier, I conducted lab tests of ~ 8 additives, measuring corrosion in e-10. I've had many carb issues over the years, but once I started using the winner (Practical Sailor 2012) I have not had a single issue. 3 outboards and 3 home engines. The winner is not who you think it is, not the brand you tried.
Thanks for mentioning the PS article of 2012. I did a search and found the PS site but was not allowed to view the article because I am not a paying member. However, Biopor, which was one of the additives tested, has reprinted the entire test results. They can be found here. It is a very good read.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I think calling e10 "crap fuel" is an exaggeration. It doesn't bother me at all anymore, now that I know the tricks.

* Keep vents closed when possible.
* Use an effective additive (Biobor EB or Merc storage).
* A vent filter helps for larger tanks.
Someone might start a seperate thread of your experience using E10 fuel and stabilizers such as Seafoam.

My experience with whatever mid grade gas I find at the pump..

Before Seafoam, I have had both stuck floats and gummed up jets.

After Seafoam, I have not had a single problem with a 2.5 hp and 9.8 hp four stroke outboards, a Stihl chain saw and a four stroke lawn mower. I just went out and started the 2.5 hp outboard which has sat for over 2 months with gas in the tank.. No problem.

Im also closing vents and all this use has been in areas with low humidity (Colorado and Az).

Cost per gallon using gas station fuel plus Seafoam... $2.50 plus $1 = $3.50 (one can of Seafoam treats 8 gallons)

Cost per gallon for Trufuel (home depot price not including tax) 4*5.96 = $23.84 (a mere 6.8 times the cost)

If I were having any problem at all with gas station plus Seafoam gas, I might consider worrying about this. But I have not had an issue in a long time. Seafoam also did well (good at lower cost) in the link just posted..

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I'm interested in Maine's take on the difference between TruFuel and ethanol free from a gas station and with Aviation Gas. I'm told that some aviation gas providers (at small airports) will not sell Avgas to individuals without an airplane (ie into containers.). Seems Avgas would be the way to go if you can get it (especially if you need the 100+ octane for your vintage corvette, etc), then Ethanol Free from a gas station, then finally TruFuel if you can't get either. These 4 strokes, 2 strokes, and small engines for the most part were not designed to run on exotic fuels (unless you race) but rather good clean fuel that doesn't absorb water (hence the problem with ethanol). I've had problems with my 2003 Nissan 4HP when using E10 Ethanol but things seem to be fine with fnon-ethanol fuel (labeled Marine Gas) at a price a little above premium gas. I can't see the need to spend $20+ for something in a can unless there is some real, measurable advantage.

Mar 26, 2011
I can buy non Ethanol gas in about every station now.:confused:
You should comment on the new EPA e15 mandate. Since the areas that require e10 (there is no such thing as non-e-10 near most big cities, since they are non-attainment zones) are already taking as much as they can, the obvious thing is not e15 but rather to force e10 on the rest of the country. The EPA is going to resist e15 on the very solids grounds that only post 2011 cars are certified to use it, and service stations are NOT going to want to give up mid-grade to sell e15. THAT is probably the direction EPA is being pushed by the court.

So either comment, or learn to burn e10 next year.

Mar 26, 2011
Someone might start a seperate thread of your experience using E10 fuel and stabilizers such as Seafoam.

My experience with whatever mid grade gas I find at the pump..

Before Seafoam, I have had both stuck floats and gummed up jets.

After Seafoam, I have not had a single problem with a 2.5 hp and 9.8 hp four stroke outboards, a Stihl chain saw and a four stroke lawn mower. I just went out and started the 2.5 hp outboard which has sat for over 2 months with gas in the tank.. No problem.

Im also closing vents and all this use has been in areas with low humidity (Colorado and Az).

Cost per gallon using gas station fuel plus Seafoam... $2.50 plus $1 = $3.50 (one can of Seafoam treats 8 gallons)

Cost per gallon for Trufuel (home depot price not including tax) 4*5.96 = $23.84 (a mere 6.8 times the cost)

If I were having any problem at all with gas station plus Seafoam gas, I might consider worrying about this. But I have not had an issue in a long time. Seafoam also did well (good at lower cost) in the link just posted..
Sea Foam rated very highly too. It sounded like snake oil, but it is actually really good stuff.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The closest for Mainesail is Northeast air at Portland airport but is 100 octane. The best place would be Sanford airport that carries 91 octane non ethanol. The closest to me is Hampton airport price is usually $1 more that regular gas but it is worth it.

Note most places will allow you to fill gas cans but you can't fill your vehicles directly because of road taxes etc..
'Round here, you do best if you go to the airport with the ethanol free fuel, and make a point of saying "I'd like to buy some AV fuel FOR MY AIRPLANE. ;)" Otherwise they will get uppity about road taxes and the like.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I find it interesting that marketers have come up with fancy names for straight gasoline. Sorta like a 1/2 gallon of ice cream. If you can find it. (God bless Blue Bell.) Or 5 lbs. of sugar. If you can find it.

Mar 26, 2011
I find it interesting that marketers have come up with fancy names for straight gasoline. Sorta like a 1/2 gallon of ice cream. If you can find it. (God bless Blue Bell.) Or 5 lbs. of sugar. If you can find it.
Bottled water.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
So either comment, or learn to burn e10 next year.
Well since the UK study of total CO2 emissions from E10 use, showed more CO2 from its TOTAL use, I am not so sure. Perhaps for non-urban air quality? On that, I have no comment.

I will be out on the Gulf till Tuesday. Where the ocean just loves to consume +90% of the CO2, productively. I can just smell the fresh air and personally exhaust my CO2.

Have a great 4th of July and enjoy the whole family!

Jim...

PS: Going to anchor off our largest coastal Combustion display of fireworks for the celebration!! Sip my CO2 bubbling beer and eat American hot dogs on the Propane Magma grill. Burp!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
'Round here, you do best if you go to the airport with the ethanol free fuel, and make a point of saying "I'd like to buy some AV fuel FOR MY AIRPLANE. ;)" Otherwise they will get uppity about road taxes and the like.

Unfortunately that does not work here in Maine. They simply will not sell it to you unless you can prove you own a race car or airplane and I don't have a pilots license. Ethanol free fuel is pretty much not available here in Maine other than in the grotesquely expensive TruFuel form factor. The last airport that would sell it to me, an hours drive one way, stopped two years ago after the state cracked down.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If you run high-octane avgas in a low-compression motor you are not doing the motor any favors. Irregardless of how little ethanol it may contain.