Windlass suddenly tripping main breaker

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I did get a clamp on ammeter, and when I just now tested the windlass motor positive cable, the reading was initially ~25amps when starting up the windlass, and subsequently settled down to ~16amps. It sounded a little rougher at the start, but then sped up as if there was physical resistance within the windlass that cleared after running for a moment. Strange, but the House breaker on the DC parallel panel did not trip. I ran the windlass both directions for 10-15 seconds, but the breaker did not trip.
Motors always have a higher initial current draw. Was there a load on the motor, if not then that could be the reason the breaker didn't trip. If there is a load on the motor the initial current draw would be higher because it has to overcome both the internal resistance (magnetic field) and external resistance (the load).

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have no idea what is going on with that breaker or why it occasionally trips.
Here is a guess...
In your search for the problem, you fixed it.

Moving wires , loose contacts, etc.

Now you have the tools to find it, if it repeats.

You might look for evidence of melted insulation or blacken Electric Arcs marks, on the wires.

Jim...

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
This situation you are describing is the written about in the “Professional Boatbuilder“ Magazine. Issue No. 187, October/November 2020. The articles name is “ Multimeter Essentials”, page 54 -67 but describes a windlass problem you have.
See if you can get a copy of it on line or through them, if possible.
If not, I have the issue and would gladly send you copies of the pages for you to read.
Interesting and informative reading with or without the problem.

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
Motors always have a higher initial current draw. Was there a load on the motor, if not then that could be the reason the breaker didn't trip. If there is a load on the motor the initial current draw would be higher because it has to overcome both the internal resistance (magnetic field) and external resistance (the load).
I ran it both unloaded, then briefly while loaded (with the anchor against the roller, trying to free the seized clutch plates from the gypsy. No luck, but that is another issue). Neither tripped the breaker, though it seems it definitely should have when loaded, as it was previously tripping instantly without any load.

Feb 16, 2021
I removed the windlass, and it appears pretty abused and neglected. The positive wire is fairly corroded for what appears to be the full length. The wires are not tinned. Corrosion on the motor brush connectors seized them under the caps, and they do not eject. The motor boot seemed to catch water and mud, packing it against the brush caps and fasteners for probably over a decade. The Allen bolts are so seized I can’t remove the gearbox to inspect it. I have put T9 penetrating oil on them in the hopes I’ll be able to remove them and see what’s going on inside. My instincts are that the motor is toast though the gear box may be salvageable. I’m not sure if it’s worth trying to resuscitate this windlass or if I’m better off just buying a new Lewmar VX1 for $800.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
“Professional Boatbuilder“ Magazine. Issue No. 187, October/November 2020

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I went looking , I considered the specs, read the reviews on Practical Sailor, and the size of anchoring system I would need for my 35ft 15,000 lb displacement boat. This led me to buy the V3 Lewmar.

There are a lot of similarities among the V 1-3 systems. Not sure of the exact compatibility. I would check the bolt pattern as different sizes often have different torque and backing plate requirements.

Feb 16, 2021
I'm going to pick up a new windlass. This one seems to be at the end of its serviceable lifespan.

Feb 16, 2021
Sounds like you have been testing the anchor windlass.
It appears your “DC Parallel Panel” connects your two batteries is this how the House Battery is charged?
View attachment 194278

Having run your windlass has the battery discharged? How is the wiring behind the panel run? What does it connect to? How does the engine alternator charge the house battery? Anywhere along the electrical path, has corrosion raised its resistance ugliness?

With the multiple switches there are multiple places ground connections may have issues. The Digital Multi Meter is your friend to help you isolate the issue.
After removing the windlass and seeing the motor in terrible shape, as well as other issues (seized clutch, broken mounting bolts on cover plate, etc), I bit the bullet and replaced the windlass with a Lewmar V2. 90amp breaker instead of a 70amp. Uses the same gauge cable. Powered it on after the install and it worked.
But today we took her out for a spin, and at our anchorage, the same problem arose. The House breaker on the DC parallel panel again trips immediately upon operating the windlass. I’m back to square one.
The problem is obviously not the windlass or the Contactor. What could possibly be causing this breaker to trip now every time I use the windlass? The weird part is that it isn’t consistent. The windlass worked fine when I tested it at at the dock. Suddenly, when I get to anchorage; it decides to trip the house breaker again each time.
How do I troubleshoot and address this issue? Is there any way to confirm that the house breaker hasn’t gone bad?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
But today we took her out for a spin, and at our anchorage, the same problem arose. The House breaker on the DC parallel panel again trips immediately upon operating the windlass. I’m back to square one.
Once again, (post #24) the windlass SHOULD NOT be passing through that breaker, at all!!! That breaker is NOT designed for large motor starting loads and should NOT be in the windlass path.. Below is how it should be wired.

Battery > House Bank Battery Fuse > Battery Switch > Dedicated Windlass Breaker > Windlass

Here's why:

C-Series Breaker: Not designed to handle motor in-rush!!

285 Series Breaker: Better designed to handle motor in-rush!!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There is a 12VDC breaker for parts of a windlass, but a short should trip that breaker.

It powers the up/down Switches for contactor.

I suspect you have a switch problem or short in that circuit.
Jim...

Feb 6, 1998
Look other places for your main DC panel breaker problem.
The main DC breaker (type C-series) IS THE PROBLEM.... The windlass should never pass through that type of breaker... See two posts above....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If you look at his diagram on his post #56, there is a remote switch that should be powered by his original DC Panel.

For my clarity of thinking there are 2- DC Breakers.
1) Original Panel DC Breaker or lets call it OB
2) The Parallel Panel DC Breaker by Blue Seas or lets call it PP.

Also noted, it works great when not at anchorage.

So there has to be a cross connection somewhere.

This leads me to the Battery Charger or Shore Power vs Anchorage.

I suspect the PP breaker is the issue as @Maine Sail noted.
Jim...

Feb 6, 1998
If you look at his diagram on his post #56, there is a remote switch that should be powered by his original DC Panel.

For my clarity of thinking there are 2- DC Breakers.
1) Original Panel DC Breaker or lets call it OB
2) The Parallel Panel DC Breaker by Blue Seas or lets call it PP.

Also noted, it works great when not at anchorage.

So there has to be a cross connection somewhere.

This leads me to the Battery Charger or Shore Power vs Anchorage.

I suspect the PP breaker is the issue as @Maine Sail noted.
Jim...
As I have read it, the breaker that is tripping is the one in house battery switch panel. This is a 100A C-Series breaker (per the OP). I believe the breaker that is tripping is top left of the grey colored Blue Sea panel labeled HOUSE.. A windlass or any other large DC motor CANNOT pass through a breaker such as this.

C-Series breakers should never be used for large DC motor loads with big in-rush draws. The trip-delay curves I posted above show exactly why.

Even 1kW DC motor can pull upwards of 400A just to start turning. A 285-Series breaker is better designed to handle in-rush loads such as a windlass.

Feb 16, 2021
Once again, (post #24) the windlass SHOULD NOT be passing through that breaker, at all!!! That breaker is NOT designed for large motor starting loads and should NOT be in the windlass path.. Below is how it should be wired.

Battery > House Bank Battery Fuse > Battery Switch > Dedicated Windlass Breaker > Windlass

Here's why:

C-Series Breaker: Not designed to handle motor in-rush!!

285 Series Breaker: Better designed to handle motor in-rush!!
Thank you. It seems the wiring is as you describe, but instead of a fuse there is the Blue Sea 100amp C Series breaker corresponding to the Trip Delay Curve chart you linked. Are you suggesting I change out the C Series breaker for an equivalent 100amp 285 Series breaker?

Feb 6, 1998
Thank you. It seems the wiring is as you describe, but instead of a fuse there is the Blue Sea 100amp C Series breaker corresponding to the Trip Delay Curve chart you linked. Are you suggesting I change out the C Series breaker for an equivalent 100amp 285 Series breaker?
No, not at all. The fuse needs to be within 7" of the battery bank and it needs to have an AIC rating to match your battery bank. 285 Series breakers only have an AIC of 3000A. A single G-31 AGM can throw 5000A into a dead short and can physically weld a breaker shut. An MRBF, ANL or Class T fuse should be the main bank protection at the bank..

Feb 16, 2021
Here is the electrical diagram for the new and installed Lewmar V2 windlass. Everything is wired according to the diagram (Contactor setup), with the exception of the battery isolator. The windlass is currently wired: Windlass>Bus>isolator switch>100amp breaker>battery + terminal.
EAAD249F-6ED4-4DE2-AA3D-290DA23BCF76.jpeg

Feb 16, 2021
As I have read it, the breaker that is tripping is the one in house battery switch panel. This is a 100A C-Series breaker (per the OP). I believe the breaker that is tripping is top left of the grey colored Blue Sea panel labeled HOUSE.. A windlass or any other large DC motor CANNOT pass through a breaker such as this.
This is correct.

C-Series breakers should never be used for large DC motor loads with big in-rush draws. The trip-delay curves I posted above show exactly why.

Even 1kW DC motor can pull upwards of 400A just to start turning. A 285-Series breaker is better designed to handle in-rush loads such as a windlass.
If you are not suggesting I install a 285 to replace the C Series, and there is not currently a fuse between the House bank and the C Series, then what is my path forward? The wiring diagram calls for the windlass to be connected to the battery isolator (as it is currently wired), which puts it downstream from the C Series breaker. Am I to remove the C Series and replace it with a 285 while also installing a fuse within 7” of the House bank + terminal?

My house bank is four GC25 batteries wired to provide 470ah at 12v.