What to do with used sails?

Mar 29, 2019
Catalina 27 Grosse Ile
My parents have a huge pile of used sails from the family weeknight race boat, a Catalina 27 (normal rig). By huge, I mean they take up a quarter of the garage. Not sure which in particular, but probably a full set of head sails, some kites, and a mainsail. They're stretched and taped up, but usable for cruising.

My parents want them gone, but don't want them to go to waste and in the mean time the sails have just been sitting in our damp garage taking up space. Do you all have any good suggestions for what to do with these? I've heard of a few charities out there, but the less convenient the option the less likely the sails will ever move from where they currently sit.

We're in Southeast Michigan on lake Erie, if by some chance someone is local and just wants to take them.

Thanks in advance!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I sent mine to Sea Bags in Maine. They made me a bag for each sail for free abd covered the shipping of the sails to Maine. Just had to get a box big enough to hold a main and a jib.
https://seabags.com

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
Hi, can I take them? I’m just down in Monroe. I can stop by next weekend. My boat actually used to live on Grosse Isle herself before I purchased her...
thanks, Andrew

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
I’ll second Sea Bags. I sent them an old sail from a previous boat and received a great, solid bag.

Oh, I got the bag at no cost. Sending in the sail is how they get the raw material to make the bags.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I'm pretty sure that Bacon Sails buys used sails. I don't know their condition requirements. It might be worth giving them a call.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
A fourth thumbs up for Sea Bags. I'm in Conn, and they came to my office and picked up the old sails from my O'day 23. I had them make two really cool bags for me: a large tote and a duffle bag. Both were made with my old sails and both have the O23 logo on them, like JRT's above. I owned that boat for almost twenty years, so these are great sentimental keepsakes. The sails (the original main and jib, along with a light air 165 genny) had been sitting in my basement since I replaced them about 10 years ago. I thought of them when we walked into the Sea Bags store in Newport earlier this summer and learned about their "donation" program. A great deal for everyone: they get the raw material for their products, you get some too-cool-for-school bags, and the landfills don't have to deal with the extra material.