Warped Rudder

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Looking good...... You might have established a side gig..:biggrin:

It looks like the tip of the blade is rather sharp. I suspect that will get banged up fairly quick if (when) you kiss the bottom. But that can be sanded out later when needed. :beer:
The articles I've read show a front edge that rounded and pretty much an edge with the trailing edge 1/8 inch thick. My plans are to do that final bit of shaping in the next couple of days.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
That is beautiful. Did you cover it with a layer of fiberglass cloth like it done on the bead and cove cedar canoe builds?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Only part of the problem is appearance. UV also damages the structure of epoxy and causes it to check and peel off. A few coats of exterior spar varnish which has UV protection will keep it looking good and prevent damage to the water resistance.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Only part of the problem is appearance. UV also damages the structure of epoxy and causes it to check and peel off. A few coats of exterior spar varnish which has UV protection will keep it looking good and prevent damage to the water resistance.
When I hear back from Total Boat I will decide what to do.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
It's sunshine that causes the damage. If it lives in your shop when not in use and there are no windows or you keep it covered, it will probably last almost forever, so might be a mute point in your case.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
It's sunshine that causes the damage. If it lives in your shop when not in use and there are no windows or you keep it covered, it will probably last almost forever, so might be a mute point in your case.
There are a couple of windows in my shop, but the rudder hangs on a spot that is not in the sun.