Volvo reverse bow: coming to a boat near you?

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
To all those saying the design is too new or modern looking, The reverse wave piercing bow is by no means a new design, In fact it is such a traditional and classic form, it was used by Native Americans building Birch Bark canoes.

The design has very real and legitimate advantages over the alternative overhanging bow, though the overhanging bow also has it's own advantages too, so it's really a question of what design element works best for a particular purpose.

Modern production version of a classic Birch Canoe, still carries the reverse bow design.

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
I like it better than the scow bow.

The benefit of the scow bow is during the mini transat most of the sailing is down wind. On that PoS the scow bow is faster, but try sailing it on a different PoS and see how fast it is.

I am surprised that it hasn't made it into more "cruiser" boats as it will give you the most interior volume.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Actually, there is a little bit of skow bow there. If you look at other pics, you can see the bow sits out of the water. The bottom is fairly flat just like a skow. The only difference is what is above the waterline. I would assume that is to make the boat plane quickly.
The benefit of the scow bow is during the mini transat most of the sailing is down wind. On that PoS the scow bow is faster, but try sailing it on a different PoS and see how fast it is...
As long as you have a good power to weight ratio, it should be fast upwind as well. You just need a boat that will plane upwind.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As long as you have a good power to weight ratio, it should be fast upwind as well. You just need a boat that will plane upwind.
Like this?? Xtreme 25.

In 12 knots true breeze, sailed 45 degrees to true wind, she sails at 6.8 knots, above her hull speed. It gets better; in 20 knots she is going 7.4 knots upwind.

Put that same true wind at 90, and it 12.5 knots.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Like this?? Xtreme 25.
........above her hull speed.

A displacement boat has a theoretical hull speed of 1.34 x square root of the waterline. The Xtreme 25 isn't a displacement boat so that doesn't really apply. Same with Open 60's, Pogo's and other similar boats - more in common with planing hulls than displacement designs.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
A displacement boat has a theoretical hull speed of 1.34 x square root of the waterline. The Xtreme 25 isn't a displacement boat so that doesn't really apply. Same with Open 60's, Pogo's and other similar boats - more in common with planing hulls than displacement designs.
And that is the point, a skow is not a displacement boat. And one would not want that kind of nose on a displacement boat.

I have become of the opinion that a daysailor or any boat used as such should plane upwind. If it doesn't, whats the point? Otherwise, it should be a cruiser and a much larger boat. It seems the glut from the 70s, which is what many of us can afford, is filled with SUVs that never go off road and have very little sport. Big cruisers used as daysailors. Seems like a lot of extra stuff that hinders performance.