USA Vs NZL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No, they gained that after Mark 1 of the second race when the wind did come up.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
That second race was a great race to watch. The replay on the "penalty" was great!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm annoyed that the commentators, especially the main guy (is it Todd Harris?) seem decidedly pro-New Zealand. Tiring.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
I'm annoyed that the commentators, especially the main guy (is it Todd Harris?) seem decidedly pro-New Zealand. Tiring.
I think those commentator and others who are working the Cup just want to go home already. A NZ win would enable that. These unnecessary race postponements must be torture to those people.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
These unnecessary race postponements must be torture to those people.
But they're not unnecessary postponements.

I posted earlier about the rain... It is HIGHLY UNUSUAL to have this kind of weather here in September. We had one inch of rain in one hour, I'm pretty sure it's a record. For those of you with inquiring minds who like to learn and know: What happened is that the normal high pressure moved down (south) allowing a big cell of nasty weather through from the north. When that happens, the wind shifts to the south because winds are counterclockwise in low pressure systems. The system has moved through, and the sun is beginning to shine again. The A's baseball game was delayed by two hours. Once fronts like this move out, and it was, again, rare for this time of year usually doesn't happen until late October, the winds come from the NW and perhaps could set up from the west in an afternoon breeze for tomorrows racing.

Thought some facts would help.

For those of you who race, a reaching/reaching race is not really a contest.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
But they're not unnecessary postponements.

I posted earlier about the rain... It is HIGHLY UNUSUAL to have this kind of weather here in September. We had one inch of rain in one hour, I'm pretty sure it's a record. For those of you with inquiring minds who like to learn and know: What happened is that the normal high pressure moved down (south) allowing a big cell of nasty weather through from the north. When that happens, the wind shifts to the south because winds are counterclockwise in low pressure systems. The system has moved through, and the sun is beginning to shine again. The A's baseball game was delayed by two hours. Once fronts like this move out, and it was, again, rare for this time of year usually doesn't happen until late October, the winds come from the NW and perhaps could set up from the west in an afternoon breeze for tomorrows racing.

Thought some facts would help.

For those of you who race, a reaching/reaching race is not really a contest.
SA nailed it with this gem today:

ACRM and the AC72 Class continue to show their…umm…versatility; they add ‘any other wind than Westerly’ to ‘anything over 20 knots’ and ‘anything under 8 knots’ to the list of conditions they apparently cannot handle. It’s not the boats; unlike Artemis, they are built for racing, and the fact that they aren’t is a sad, sick joke. Is the racing incredible when it does happen? Absolutely, as we prayed for and hoped on the front page , and we have been riveted to our screens when Whitey lets us watch. And clearly sailors adore it.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Sonofa, won't reveal the winner in 14 but not having the ability to see it live is infuriating. From all accounts these last 2 races have been outrageous in their excitement.

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
NZ vs USA it's a Win Win

Personally I think they both have won!
I was there for race 1/2 and it was clear NZ was much faster. Now that we have gone to Day 13 and it's closed up to within 4 races it is clear that USA is flying and NZ has had horrible luck.
Regardless of your Allegiances, monohull or cat , the fact is - The biggest and fastest boats on the water are wind powered and they are exposing sailing to millions of people unfamiliar to sailing in the spectacular amphitheater of the San Francisco Bay. The TV analysis and graphics are 2nd to none.
It was clear that NZ fans were there in force supporting a sport thought of as a national pastime. Hopefully this charge of Oracle will create a similar movement here in the US.

If only Team Oracle USA had gotten the lead out earlier!

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
SA nailed it with this gem today:

ACRM and the AC72 Class continue to show their…umm…versatility; they add ‘any other wind than Westerly’ to ‘anything over 20 knots’ and ‘anything under 8 knots’ to the list of conditions they apparently cannot handle. It’s not the boats; unlike Artemis, they are built for racing, and the fact that they aren’t is a sad, sick joke. Is the racing incredible when it does happen? Absolutely, as we prayed for and hoped on the front page , and we have been riveted to our screens when Whitey lets us watch. And clearly sailors adore it.
Besides the fact that I am fatigued of the haters, I can't even parse the above. What does "they are built for racing, and the fact that they aren’t" even mean???

The "not allowed to race" has factors that include the Coast Guard and contest rules, in the sad context of Andrew Simpson's death.

So, all yacht races have rules. They are negotiated and agreed to by both teams, with many parties to the rules. To disparage the entire event over adherence is rather stupid. I think such commentary, supposed journalism is crap.

Oh, and his suggestion for an alternative:

For those tired of watching abandonments and postponements out West, check out the live-streamed Little America’s Cup, starting tomorrow at 1100 GMT, or the live-streamed Melges 32 Worlds starting around the same time.
Yea, today's "Little Amreica's Cup" racing postponed due to a broken boat. Bwah!

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Don't worry gang. The first Ocean 65 hit the water today for the Volvo Ocean. No postponements, no high wind/calm wind delays. One design monohulls. Flat out around the world. They are quite impressive.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I don't care where they are from, they sailed like Americans today !!!!
:dance: LEEWARD !!!

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!! If I didn't know better I'd say it was fixed to build up the gate!! Who would think any team can overcome that deficiet but the USA team did. I left Tucson for Long Beach, Ca Friday morning and there was no coverage locally and I thought it was all over with the Kiwi's taking the Cup. When I arrived home yesterday I was surprised to see it was still on. This is the way a championship should be decided. I hate lopsided victories like we see so often in the super bowl.

I'll be watching tomorrow -- I'm retired and every day is Sunday, but some of you listers should call in sick. Tomorrows race should be one for the books.

Do you guys know how many topics over the years has gone to 5 pages -- not one!!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Do you guys know how many topics over the years has gone to 5 pages -- not one!!

The Boat Babe is on page 65....... and much more interesting :D

Just kidding. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to follow the race as much as I'd like.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Sure, rub it in Don. Gotta work to sail and can't even get it here in real time in the snow capital of the lower 48. Hey enjoy yourself this is some kinda exciting. By the way I like some Anchor Bar sauce on my crow.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!! If I didn't know better I'd say it was fixed to build up the gate!! Who would think any team can overcome that deficiet but the USA team did. I left Tucson for Long Beach, Ca Friday morning and there was no coverage locally and I thought it was all over with the Kiwi's taking the Cup. When I arrived home yesterday I was surprised to see it was still on. This is the way a championship should be decided. I hate lopsided victories like we see so often in the super bowl.

I'll be watching tomorrow -- I'm retired and every day is Sunday, but some of you listers should call in sick. Tomorrows race should be one for the books.

Boy oh boy, has this 'race' become a 'real race'. Im starting to hold it in the back of my mind that Oracle 'held back' in the first few races letting TNZ 'show their stuff' and when Oracle finally found that they were faster ... simply put the pedal to the metal. Like how a pool-shark sets up a 'patsy'. :-o

Sail trim observation: .... on the close-up shots of both boats with THICK wings (unlike thin 'zero thickness' sails) has anyone noticed how much CAMBER is being used on those wings !!!!!! , also too the trailing edge sections are usually 'always above' the boat's centerlines ..... verrreeeeerrrrrry interesting, VERY high lift!!!!!!!!!!

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Here's what I ment to say had I not gotten all excited after watching the race.

"how many topics over the years "ON THE SAIL TRIM FORUM" have gone to 5 pages?. T&A always draws more activity than sail trim!!

25yearslater -- I lived in the Syracuse, NY area (Skaneateles - not sure of the spelling but you know what I'm referring to) before I moved to So Ca and I'm familiar with Lake Ontario. Summer usually ended on July 5th!! Has it started snowing yet!?!?

My neighbor stopped by between races to BS with me but I told him sorry but I'd like to BS with you but I've got to watch a AC race. He didn't know what I was talking about but called me later and said he tuned in to see what I was talking about and it was one of the most exciting things he'd seen lately and he's a Corvette owner -another sailing convert.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Awesome. This became a real contest, and hats off to Ellison and others who came up with this format.

I think it's really something even inside sailing circles; very close racing, with match racing tactics mattering, and all of that at speeds over 30 knots, foiling, upwind!

Wow.

Oh, yes, I've been rooting for Oracle all along, as I said on page 1 (post #13). Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.