USA Vs NZL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Well, I'm just catching up and have watched thru Race 5. Going back to Don's "hooking" question, it looks to me that both skippers attempt to take the leeward side at the start and attempt to gain the overlap at the 1st mark so they can force the windward boat to luff, but neither are always successful. So in the 3rd race, Spithill "hooked" Barker at the 1st mark by forcing him to luff. But USA was penalized. What exactly was the infraction? I didn't even see how they paid their penalty, but they said something about a gybe (did they have to do a 360 and it was done that quickly? ... they didn't give up the lead at that point).

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Scott, the way the penalties work in these races do not include doing 360s or 720s. They require that the penalized boat slow down for a certain distance or time (I forget which).

jviss, Thanks for the spoiler alert, very considerate of you, we only watched it later and I didn't read your post until this morning. You should write movie review, too. :):):)

The penalty in the "tip over" race was not windward/leeward, it was port/starboard since Oracle was coming in on starboard and when NZ tipped they got in Oracle's way. Should be very interesting this afternoon.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
It's like NASCAR -- It looked like USA had stumbled on to something but ONE MISTAKE can cost you the race. I am getting to like these HOBIE CATS!!

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Holy crap!! I thought NZ was going over!!

Anyway -- Rich H, what's it mean to "hook" in the starting area and what's the advantage.
I dont know what 'hooking' means as pertains to 2 boat AC match racing; but, in mono fleet racing, and especially with a crowded start line, a good tactic is to squeeze up your competitors to windward thus carving a hole to leeward into which one can bear off 'just' before the start. If done correctly sometimes you can force just about all your windward competitors over the line early. The danger is that someone else will see your leeward hole opening up and jump in and squeeze you up into the 'pile up'.

FWIW - On a well set start line, I'm usually the boat fighting for the pin end, and Im usually on PORT tack. Nothing in the world feels more satisfying than crossing in front of a whole fleet on 'port'; plus, you have the option to tack over to stb just about any time you want; and, if you get pushed over early you can easily gybe around the pin for a quick legal re-start ..... 3 tactical options. :-o

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The penalty in the "tip over" race was not windward/leeward, it was port/starboard since Oracle was coming in on starboard and when NZ tipped they got in Oracle's way.
Indeed, I was mistaken, thanks.

Oct 26, 2008
Rich, in Race 3, Oracle arrived at the first mark on the inside with an overlap on Emirates. So Oracle, being the leeward boat but having position to round the mark first appeared to "hook" Emirates, forcing them way off course and slowing them for the gybe around the mark. In this case, Oracle drew the penalty. Nobody made it clear why there was a penalty, but I'm guessing it was for doing this maneuver to slow Emirates when it wasn't necessary to round the mark in front ... true?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Spoiler alert: Sunday's races

Spoiler alert: if you haven't watched yet and don't want to know anything about Saturday's races, don't read this post!

Now, that was racing! Wow-weee! I have never seen so close a yacht race, not to mention on as fast!

Oracle seems to have really cracked the code, though, unfortunately, perhaps too late.

I really enjoyed the racing Saturday and Sunday; was on the edge of my seat!

Is this sailing? Yes!!!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We've just gotten a taste of what this format could be. Sunday's race was very good - and exciting. You could sell tickets to this. Unfortunately it's going to be over before it gets going. It's a testament to the ability of these sailors that they could get these boats up to speed so quickly once the competition started. The improvement in Luna Rosa over the LV races and now Oracle is amazing. Artemis never really got going - for reasons that are obvious.

Mar 5, 2008
Beneteau 43 Alameda
It was exciting, great to feel the crowd (of boats and people) really cheer on Oracle. Lots of horns as they rounded the mark on the turn to the finish line on Saturday. I felt sorry for the support boats getting beat up by the rough water trying to keep up with them.

We've actually had more fun on the practice days since the course isn't closed and you can sail much closer and experience just how fast these boats are on the water.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Aside from looking for a beat up hobie cat I can tinker with, I can't help but wonder how do iceboats and these machines go faster than the wind. This seems to imply they are generating their own wind. As such isn't this defying the second law of thermodynamics? What happens if the wind goes to zero while they are zipping along at 40+ knots? This is certainly some amazing racing. I think we all got a treat to what's possible with this cup.

Dec 20, 2011
Oday 19 weekender New Milford,Ct.
I agree with previous posts,IMO best sailboat racing I have seen on t.v..These boats are amazing!These sailors are fearless!Need more of this!!!This should be a yearly event!See you all at Don's place next summer.Thanks Don!,Barry

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I was skeptical about the catamarans before the racing started, but the last few races have proven surprisingly exciting. Seeing Oracle recover and make that cross in front was one of the more compelling moments I can remember. Looks like they put themselves in too much of a hole in the series, but still fun to watch. I still love the old monohull races, but I wouldn't mind seeing another round of the AC with these 72's. It's not just pure drag racing, and imagine what they could do with a few more years of R&D and practice.

Oct 26, 2008
Heartbreaker on that last race ... that's a first with lead change on 4th leg. Oracle looks more confident when the wind comes up. Tomorrow is anybody's guess. It will be great if Oracle can extend the racing to the max number of races! I haven't given up hope that they can do it.

Oct 26, 2008
Well, I came home from work, gulped down dinner and was all set to tune in the delayed YouTube broadcast and found no Race 11 & 12! Thinking that I would have to wait to see the broadcast and curious about what happened, I looked for news, thinking I may as well find out the results even if I couldn't view them. So the wind speed was too high!

I have felt that Oracle does better as the wind speed gets higher, so the wind limitation seems to put them at a disadvantage. I'm hoping for an 18 - 22 knot day today!

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
USA got lucky today and dodged a bullet. NZ hit the line at about 600MPH and I think it was going to be all over but the crying. Why they can't conduct these races before or near noon is beyond me -- the wind seems to always pipe up in the afternoon. Stu J: Am I right? Stu probably could have told the race organizers about this situation (if I'm right).

You've probably noticed the silver fern on the Kiwi boat. The fern is a big part of Kiwi history and it's shown on their flag and the emblems on their sports teams uniforms especially the "All Blacks" Rugby team -- how they got the name "all blacks" is another story. The fern is dark green on the top and silver underneath. One story is the Moari fighters used the silver side of the fern to mark their trails. The last fighter in line would turn the fern to the green side so the enemies following them would not know the path they took.

I heard that story during a trip to NZ and I hope it's correct. Kiwi listers on this forum -- please correct me if I've provided incorrect info.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Spoiler alert - race 12

Wow, what a fabulous race by Team USA! Textbook hook at the start, incredible speeds, and 31 second lead at the finish.

Race 12 Performance Data

Course: 5 Legs/10.16 nautical miles
Elapsed Time: OTUSA – 23:49, ETNZ – 24:20
Delta: OTUSA +:31
Total distance sailed: OTUSA – 11.8 NM, ETNZ – 11.6 NM
Average Speed: OTUSA – 29.90 knots (34 mph), ETNZ – 29.01 knots (33 mph)
Top Speed: OTUSA – 42.62 knots (49 mph), ETNZ – 41.24 knots (47 mph)
Windspeed: Average – 14.8 knots, Peak – 16.3 knots
Number of Tacks/Jibes: OTUSA – 10/6, ETNZ – 10/8

Now if they can just do that 7 more times in a row!

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Now if they can just do that 7 more times in a row!
If the abandoned Race 13 is any indication, Oracle will be racing in the Louis Vuitton challenge in New Zealand, in the next Americas Cup. Humiliating!!!!!

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I agree 100% Rich. A full kilometer back is dismal even for these boats. The next race the margin of victory for Oracle just doesn't indicate to me a substantial superiority over NZ. Perhaps in heavier air Oracle seems to have the advantage but not to a comfortable degree.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Anyone notice how the commentators managed to miss the fact that Oracle crept up 150 m? They were surprised! Oh, my gosh, isn't it their JOB to tell us what's happening. Just horrible commentary except for Gary.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Bring me up to date Stu if you would. I'm getting this in bits and pieces via YouTube. Did Oracle gain the 150 meters in the race that time expired? It puzzled me how they got that far back.

Status
Not open for further replies.