USA Vs NZL

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Instead of a football party today I put together a America Cup party in my Tucson community which featured BBQ Buffalo Chicken Wings. Unless you're a Buffalo,NY sailor you probably don't know the background of "buffalo wings". They have nothing to do with buffalo's -- they were named after a bar in Buffalo called the Anchor Bar.

My local friends here in Tucson are OK but I wish my party included folks like RichH, Stu j, Joe from San Diego, Alan, Scott and a few others -- maybe some day!! That would be a great party!!

Anyway, which team are you cheering for?? It's no more the USA against NZL than I don't know what even though I wish it was. The team I'm cheering for is NZL and here's why -- we visited New Zealand and Australia last year and we found them to be the most gracious, wonderful people we have ever encountered -- Europe was another story!! If we decided to move to another country it would be either New Zealand or Australia.

So, which team do you think will win the America cup or who do you want to win and why?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Kia Ora ......

Instead of a football party today I put together a America Cup party in my Tucson community which featured BBQ Buffalo Chicken Wings. Unless you're a Buffalo,NY sailor you probably don't know the background of "buffalo wings". They have nothing to do with buffalo's -- they were named after a bar in Buffalo called the Anchor Bar.

My local friends here in Tucson are OK but I wish my party included folks like RichH, Stu j, Joe from San Diego, Alan, Scott and a few others -- maybe some day!! That would be a great party!!

Anyway, which team are you cheering for?? It's no more the USA against NZL than I don't know what even though I wish it was. The team I'm cheering for is NZL and here's why -- we visited New Zealand and Australia last year and we found them to be the most gracious, wonderful people we have ever encountered -- Europe was another story!! If we decided to move to another country it would be either New Zealand or Australia.

So, which team do you think will win the America cup or who do you want to win and why?

....i totally agree with you on the people from Down Under... Don.. I spent some time there my self and have never been received as well in any other places they are fantastic .....oh and i never had a bad cuppa coffee the hole month i was there....dont know if i will live long enough to build my sailing skills to that level ....but would like to some day sail down there and spend more time with the folks....so i have to root for the winner either/or....

regards

woody

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Hi don,

Thanks for the invitation. I look forward to it. It would be a fun party.

As to who I am rooting for. Well I want to see the American Team win, except there is only one American on the team. If New Zealand wins, they have already stated going forward they will go back to national teams and a cap on budgets of around $20 million. Sounds good to me.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Unfortunately I could care less who wins. The Americas Cup is dead. Gone are the days when sportsmen commited personal fortunes for the honor to represent their individual countries with home grown crews. The proffesionals have slowly taken over with crews demanding more compensation and sponsors and owners a return on their investment. They are using the prestige of the AC to try and get Stadium Racing going. If it develops and I hope it will the AC will be casted aside and perhaps returned to the amateurs. I love to see proffesionals competing at the top of their game and proffessional sailing events would grant that opportunity and for this reason I wish them success. I just wish the Americas Cup be resurrected.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I'll give NZL the first 3, they sailed better and FASTER, seems like they had as much as 10% more boat speed at times. Race 4 they were still faster at times, I think it's a trim issue, crew changes slow you down when racing. The best crew I know are 4 guys that race together EVERY Thursday and Saturday year round for the last 10 years.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The proffesionals have slowly taken over with crews demanding more compensation and sponsors and owners a return on their investment.
Ugh! Back in the days of yore, with Sir Thomas Lipton challenging on Shamrock, and the NY Yacht Club syndicate defending on the latest Herreshoff behemoth, the crews were professional. Nothing has changed very much. By the way, those boats were delicate too. No one was sure they could hold up. And, they weren't seaworthy either, being very skid-ish to drive. They were pushing the edge of their technology then as these players are now. No real difference.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
As to who I am rooting for. Well I want to see the American Team win, except there is only one American on the team. If New Zealand wins, they have already stated going forward they will go back to national teams and a cap on budgets of around $20 million. Sounds good to me.
I would add that it might add some integrity to the Cup after what some on our team did.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA

Look more closely. NZ has twice the assault rate of the US, and apparently a pretty bad meth and robbery problem.

It's not unlikely for tourists to have a great time and pleasant experience when the go places.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I am routing for NZL mainly because of the cheating thing. Just stupid and embarrassing.

Personally, I like the format for this race with the one design racing to establish the challenger and more strict design criteria on the finals boat. I think you can see more sailor vs. sailor in this format. I would like to see a change to actual national crews.

I hope they are getting good TV ratings so that the next time it will be on TV again. A couple of years ago the Volvo Ocean Race was on PBS and it was one of the best things on TV but I guess they didn't get good ratings and it didn't comeback on TV for the next race. Too bad. Same with the Clipper Race. They have mostly amateur crews and I think that would make for excellent TV.

Can't wait to see how it ends.

Dec 20, 2011
Oday 19 weekender New Milford,Ct.
I'll give NZL the first 3, they sailed better and FASTER, seems like they had as much as 10% more boat speed at times. Race 4 they were still faster at times, I think it's a trim issue, crew changes slow you down when racing. The best crew I know are 4 guys that race together EVERY Thursday and Saturday year round for the last 10 years.
It might just be that Oracle needs more wind to be competitive.I think that fourth race was the first to be sailed in 20+ knots of wind.Personally I'm loving seeing this event televised especially in San Fran.I hope they can keep the cup at this venue for a few more regattas.Sure beats the AC boats plodding around in San Diego.

May 14, 2007
Hunter 33 St. Clair Sail Club

My wife and I felt the same about New Zealand and Australia but decided it was just too far from family. So we immigrated to Canada. We wish that we haddone it sooner. The people are much like Kiwis and Aussies.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I have to go with the home team, USA. I have found the Kiwis and Australians extremely haughty probably stemming from some inferiority complex. I have lived and worked among them in both the military and civilian enviornment as opposed to tourist so the spend your money here element was eliminated and I was treated to the real attitude.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Whew. What utter BS, but I'm sorry that has or was your experience. From what Dean Barker has said in public, he's been just fine. We spent a month in NZ in 2011 and had a great time. I've heard that the "American Tourist" may still be alive and well, but it probably doesn't apply to you.

The broad brush approach rarely works.

In either direction.

I spent a lot of time in NZ in the early 90s on the way to Antarctica, and couldn't disagree with you more.

Your boat, your head, your choice. :)

May 12, 2013
Hunter 376 Adelaide
G'day from down under.
Well it's good to see we are being hospitable when you visit, wether it be in Australia or New Zealand. We don't really mind people mistaking us for Kiwis and vice versa, it's not a big deal. I find when I travel through Europe more people think I'm from England, now in France that is an issue!
To me, the America's Cup is a fantastic symbol of progress. Look at what we now have available to us to use on our everyday rag and sticks. Carbon blocks, graphite roller bearing cleats, carbon spinnaker poles, kevlar sails etc etc. This has all come about through the development of high end competition, across many classes of boats, the AC cats included. Sure some of it is out of reach of the average yachtie today, but in time, prices come down, bits become more accessible, our yachts become lighter, stronger, safer and maybe if its your bag, faster.
Most of us have moved on from chariot racing to formula 1. Look what that's done for your typical car, the steering, the brakes, gearboxes and paddle shifters etc.
So I'm all for embracing progress and heck, the racing has been spectacular and if it brings more people into our sport then that can only be a good thing. Who hasn't wandered around on a week night looking for a body or two?
As for who do I want to win, well I'd love the Kiwi boat to bring home the bacon but with James on Oracle, and a few of us on either boat......
Great sailing Fellas.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
sailoral27: You're post reminded me of something. During our 5 week trip to Australia & New Zealand (mostly NZ and Tasmania) the large cities didn't do much for us. We enjoyed the small towns. When folks learned we were from the USA they asked us all kinds of questions about our policies, use of natural resources, welfare, banking systems, imigration etc. All question we nicely put. They feel if we tank, they'll go next.

Sometimes, when I didn't feel like talking about the USA and wanted to stop the questions, I told them I was from Ontario, Canada!! In some conversations I got the impression they thought we were stupid -- which, I hate to admit as a military vet, we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.