Troubleshooting LP on 343 Oceanis

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It may not be on the panel.

I would first check the locker(s) for the solenoid hardware. If you find it, maybe you can trace the wires to a switch.

If you don’t find it, then maybe it doesn’t have one (but again, hard to believe unless the boat was set up for CNG or alcohol originally).

With a known full tank, hook it up, open the valve on the tank, turn on a burner and light a match. There should air pressure at least blowing the flame around…until propane makes it to the burner. If no air pressure, something isn’t opening in the system.

Shouldn't be this hard to make a spot of tea!

Cheers,

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Sunlover,
Your boat is a mystery.
If it was not French built and was built in US, the first letters of the hull ID number should began with "BEYN".
I am wondering if the boat could have been built in the US per specs of a Caribbean charter company. Your DC breaker panel is suspect.
I have attached a photo of the USA built 343 panel on my boat and is same that I have seen on several 343's when searching to purchase.
As you can see in the photo, there is a dedicated breaker for the gas valve / solenoid. After reading some of the posts, had me guessing the whereabouts of my solenoid. On my 2006 model, it is located in the propane locker. Very easy to access if it needs replacement. The
only gas shutoff valve that I have is on the propane tank (other than the DC actuated solenoid valve). When I finish using my stove or
oven, I turn off gas valve breaker & allow to flame to self extinguish, then immediately place the knobs on the stove to off. If I am staying
overnite, on the boat, I also turn off the valve on the tank as an added precaution.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
solved:. it was a simple case of RTFM. I have to push the knob while lighting. . the brass fittings appear to be frozen, but I'll move it to the bottom of my squawk list.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
solved:. it was a simple case of RTFM. I have to push the knob while lighting. . the brass fittings appear to be frozen, but I'll move it to the bottom of my squawk list.
Wow…

Glad you figured it out before tearing the boat apart.

Did you ever find the solenoid switch? You should still make sure the propane supply is cut off OUTSIDE of the boat to minimize the chance of a leak somewhere.

Greg

Jun 20, 2021
I wonder if anybody has gone all electric. I'm thinking of ditching the stove and buying some 12V appliances. tea kettle, rice cooker, frying pan, and replace the stove with 12V fridge. jusñt add solar and windmill.

anyways, I'm focused on getting it ready to splash.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You may need a big battery bank to go electric.
There is also a diesel stove option.

Jun 20, 2021
Sunlover,
Your boat is a mystery.
If it was not French built and was built in US, the first letters of the hull ID number should began with "BEYN".
I am wondering if the boat could have been built in the US per specs of a Caribbean charter company. Your DC breaker panel is suspect.
I have attached a photo of the USA built 343 panel on my boat and is same that I have seen on several 343's when searching to purchase.
As you can see in the photo, there is a dedicated breaker for the gas valve / solenoid. After reading some of the posts, had me guessing the whereabouts of my solenoid. On my 2006 model, it is located in the propane locker. Very easy to access if it needs replacement. The
only gas shutoff valve that I have is on the propane tank (other than the DC actuated solenoid valve). When I finish using my stove or
oven, I turn off gas valve breaker & allow to flame to self extinguish, then immediately place the knobs on the stove to off. If I am staying
overnite, on the boat, I also turn off the valve on the tank as an added precaution.
definitely nothing like your photo. no solenoid in the LP locker. I'm actually very paranoid after my attempts to disconnect the LP regulator that I've created a leak, so I'll definitely keep the tank valve turned off.

I'm actually more inclined to just remove the stove and put it in storage for next owner. I'd rather have the space that the stove takes up for storage.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Folks have indeed gone all electric. Generally with big boats, with big battery banks and generators. Most I've heard of are line voltage from an inverter/generator, not 12v.

It would be my ideal. I'd use a induction stovetop. Get rid of the propane, the pipes, etc... The inverter is useful for other stuff that just powering the galley.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I'm actually more inclined to just remove the stove and put it in storage for next owner. I'd rather have the space that the stove takes up for storage.
I know that you are eager to splash the boat & start sailing. If you are over-nighting on the hook or in a slip and want to have a means on board for preparing a hot meal, one idea is to simply install a propane grill on the stern rail. You can cook quite a few things on the grill, especially if it has a hot plate / griddle. A grill is nice to have, especially in summer months in Florida, because using the interior stove heats up the cabin very quickly. Can always rebuild your galley stove/oven later, when you have time. The components needed to bring your system up to date are readily available from Beneteau or major chandlery without breaking the bank. See pages 69-70 in your owner's manual.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kilaben Bay
My Oceanis 34 has just the tank shut off and the small isolation valve below the stove. Both the stove and the BBQ have thermal cut-outs. To light either, you need to press and turn the valve using a butane lighter as the started. No igniter on mine. Good safe practice is to always start the butane lighter before turning on the gas.

If I were to troubleshoot this I would first run lines with a cloth soaked in soapy water. Then I would turn on connect some compressed air to the line (15 psig) and follow the line again looking for gas leaks. If no leaks, then I would turn open the valve at the stove and check for airflow. If I get none, I would disconnect the line from the stove and check for flow. If I get none, the hose is blocked. You try pigging it with some stiff wire being careful not to damage the hose, or simply run a new hose. If you do get air, then it's likely the thermal switch is defective.

If you don't have access to compressed air, use the propane with extreme caution. My concern is gas leaking out somewhere you don't expect it to be.