This could have Merit (or: look what followed me home)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've done this at least five times....

Homemade "peel away".
1) 5 gal PVC bucket
2) 5 lb bag of garden lime
3) 4 or 5 cups of potassium hydroxide (or drain-o or canning lye)
4) Just enough water to mix it into a "melted peanut butter" consistancy.
5) Roll it on your boat and let it dry. If you can cover your boat with plastic sheeting to keep it moist longer... that is even better
6) Pressure wash the boat. 95% of the old paint will just wash off.
7) Repeat or hit the stubborn spots with citrus strip and do what you are doing now.

You will have your hull bare in about 4 hours time and with a lot less work.

If you want to be a good steward of the environment, put an old sheet under the boat before pressure washing. The sheet will filter out the paint chips and you can dispose of the toxic bottom paint in a more sustainable way.

Good luck!

AND DON'T GET THIS STUFF IN YOU EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I've done this at least five times....

Homemade "peel away".
1) 5 gal PVC bucket
2) 5 lb bag of garden lime
3) 4 or 5 cups of potassium hydrixide (or drain-o)
4) Just enough water to mix it into a "melted peanut butter" consistancy.
5) Roll it on your boat and let it dry. If you can cover your boat with plastic sheeting to keep it moist longer... that is even better
6) Pressure wash the boat. 95% of the old paint will just wash off.
7) Repeat or hit the stubborn spots with citrus strip and do what you are doing now.

You will have your hull bare in about 4 hours time and with a lot less work.

Good luck!

AND DON'T GET THIS STUFF IN YOU EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yikes :yikes:. I'll bet that concoction gets with the program all right, but a little toxic for my taste. the Citrus Strip is working well for me so far, plus it has that fresh spring scent. :laugh:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yikes :yikes:. I'll bet that concoction gets with the program all right, but a little toxic for my taste. the Citrus Strip is working well for me so far, plus it has that fresh spring scent. :laugh:
Garden lime is simply crushed limestone (a.k.a. calcium carbonate) and potassium hydroxide is a simple base that can be thought of as the potassium salt of a water molecule. Neither are toxic per say, however KOH will react aggressively with skin if it comes in contact. So keep it off of your skin.

Don't want to sound picky but I am an environmental/analytical chemist so.... Citrus Strip is full of nice smelling fragrances but that does not change the fact that it is same bad :poop:. CITRUS STRIP CAN CARRY TOXINS INTO YOUR BLOOD!!! The active ingredient in citrus strip is N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP)
1567183764019.png

It is a polar organic solvent that can simultaneously dissolve oil based materials as well as water soluble materials. It also can pass rapidly through your skin and into your blood stream. It is only considered a class 2 hazard so you need to worry about NMP only if you have repeated exposures HOWEVER... because it can dissolve almost anything and since it can pass through your skin rapidly.... it is some hazardous caca. It can carry toxic materials through your skin and into your blood stream. Assuming you have toxic bottom paint on your boat, ..... you see where I'm going with this?

I've attached the material safety data sheet for your perusal and this a link to a wiki page if you want to know more.

Attachments

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Garden lime is simply crushed limestone (a.k.a. calcium carbonate) and potassium hydroxide is a simple base that can be thought of as the potassium salt of a water molecule. Neither are toxic per say, however KOH will react aggressively with skin if it comes in contact. So keep it off of your skin.

Don't want to sound picky but I am an environmental/analytical chemist so.... Citrus Strip is full of nice smelling fragrances but that does not change the fact that it is same bad :poop:. CITRUS STRIP CAN CARRY TOXINS INTO YOUR BLOOD!!! The active ingredient in citrus strip is N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP)
View attachment 169094

It is a polar organic solvent that can simultaneously dissolve oil based materials as well as water soluble materials. It also can pass rapidly through your skin and into your blood stream. It is only considered a class 2 hazard so you need to worry about NMP only if you have repeated exposures HOWEVER... because it can dissolve almost anything and since it can pass through your skin rapidly.... it is some hazardous caca. It can carry toxic materials through your skin and into your blood stream. Assuming you have toxic bottom paint on your boat, ..... you see where I'm going with this?

I've attached the material safety data sheet for your perusal and this a link to a wiki page if you want to know more.

:yikes::yikes: wow. that's some very good information to have rgranger. thanks for that info :clap:. actually I'm not sure why I'm not dead already, after painting many cars in garages without any ventilation, building fiberglass kayaks in similar surroundings, having my hands in solvent for 40 years as a mechanic, not to mention smoking cigarettes for 40 years (although quit 15 years ago). maybe I built up an immunity to toxins over the years (not) :what::laugh:

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Not only looks to be in good shape, but is a really nice looking boat. I think you did very well at $800. Congratulations!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You had me at Chemist. Seriously it's great to hear a rational explanation of a practical chemical use without the fear and loathing of anything with three syllable words.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Well that was fun :(. this photo was taken early this morning. by evening the bulk of the paint was on the ground with just some minor sanding and polishing left to do on the hull above the water line. then it comes off the trailer to do below the water line. should be easier as I won't be so picky removing the crud, as that will get painted again anyway. I won't be wanting to do this again :what:
IMG_20190903_150936364.jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I spent the past couple days building these supports in preparation to lift the boat off the trailer. I'll be stripping off the remaining old bottom coat and repainting below the water line. after that I can begin setting up the replacement trailer. progress is slow, but progressing ;).
All that will have to wait a few days to begin however, as an urgent call has come in to go to the lake (in the Macgregor 25) for what appears it may be our final trip of the season. the lake is dropping 6-8" a day now, and the main ramp will be unusable for us in another week or 10 days :(. We'll be home early next week if the creek don't rise. cheers ! :beer:
P1010002 (1).jpg
P1010002 (2).jpg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Wow! That is a great boat for $800. It looks like you are going to have some fun with it.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
That cushion fabric could probably survive a nuclear strike. It may not be comfortable to the skin but it will be here after we are gone.
I had a 1975 Catalina 27 that I finally sold last year, and the V-berth and quarterberth cushions were original. Other than a few stubborn stains the covers looked almost new, and the cushion material inside was still in great shape. Those parts of the boat see very little sun, and stay very dry. That dacron/nylon/rayon/magic unicorn hair fabric is pretty impressive for its staying power, I'll say that.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Did you use rgrangers stripper on it?
I did not. I actually did buy some Lime, but wasn't sure if it was really the right stuff, as it was labeled "hydrated lime" and I forgot to pick up the drano. I had some "pure lye" was wasn't sure if that was the same either, so I played it safe and continued with the Citrus Strip that I had purchased previously. I did buy a new box of heavy duty gloves, and used them, however :).

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Back from three glorious days on our local lake. what a hoot Saturday sailing our M25 5 Kts on a reach under jib alone. 20-25Kt winds.
But now it's back to "work" on the Merit. got the old trailer out this morning and the replacement stripped down and ready to begin modifications. first time taking a boat off the trailer this way. ummmmmm. very exciting :yikes:,

Removed this fine specimen.....
P1010007.jpg

And preparing for it's repacement:
P1010003 (1).jpg

I'll be a lot happier when the bottom is painted and it's back on a solid trailer. :)

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
I'll be a lot happier when the bottom is painted and it's back on a solid trailer. :)
I don’t blame you, why not set up some cribbing that you can remove to paint, you may sleep better at night.
Great project!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I've gotten the bottom painted at last. sprayed waterborne acrylic pool paint with my airless sprayer. it took way longer to mask it than it did to actually spray, and the finish is nice and even. worked well. for $48.00 a gallon (more than enough material for this boat) I figure it's worth the test :). vinyl 3/4" stripe to be installed over the lower part line at a later date.
IMG_20190913_154123560.jpg

Also got a good start on the trailer mods by fabricating and installing the keel support pan. the guide rails will be installed after some measurements with the trailer under the boat.
IMG_20190914_092908996.jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
positioned under the boat, winch and bow stop reconfigured.................. slow but steady :)
IMG_20190914_161634309.jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
We've been having rain showers off and on for a few days so progress has slowed somewhat but still managed to get the trailer reconfigured and painted today. As long as I was at it I also added 18" to the trailer tongue, although it may or may not really need it. when the paint is a bit dryer tomorrow it will go back under the boat and the (already fabricated and ready to install) bunk stands and 10' bunks installed and the boat placed on the finished trailer. Yaaay:).
P1010006.jpg