This could have Merit (or: look what followed me home)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Due to the flimsy plastic hatch runners, IMG_0065.jpg almost every time I raised the pop top the sliding hatch would jump out of it's track :mad:.

Time for a better solution. It was a little tricky working around the various drainage lips etc, but the results have certainly been worth it. new hatch tracks were cut from oak, stained and sprayed with Polyurethane.
IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0072.jpg IMG_0068.jpg

The hatch doesn't jump it's track when the pop top is raised now, but it also didn't make the assembly any lighter weight either :doh:. I calculate 48 pounds >< so the next project will involve installing gas struts. I did that on our Macgregor and my bad back loves that one. even Jennifer can easily raise the Mac hatch with her 98 pounds of pure muscle ;). The Merit looks to be a bit harder challenge to fit them in there, but the effort would be worth it, if successful. stay tuned...

Aug 31, 2022
Merit Merit 22 Oshkosh
Your Merit is beautiful--I have a 22, also. I love the winch installation and am going to copy your work but with a hand-cranked worm-gear winch.

Unfortunately, on my last sail, I hit something that was submerged while we were making 6+ knots. This managed to damage the questionable repairs on the keel trunk a previous owner had done, and my poor boat is leaking about 1/2 a gallon an hour. I am hoping that I can properly (and reasonably) fix the trunk so I can continue sailing this wonderful little boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I am hoping that I can properly (and reasonably) fix the trunk so I can continue sailing this wonderful little boat.
Sorry to hear about your strike. The good news is that fiberglass is infinitly fixable and a lot of us here have done a fair amount of fiberglass work. Take pics of the damage and post if you are uncertain how to proceed.

Aug 31, 2022
Merit Merit 22 Oshkosh
Sorry to hear about your strike. The good news is that fiberglass is infinitly fixable and a lot of us here have done a fair amount of fiberglass work. Take pics of the damage and post if you are uncertain how to proceed.
Thank you so much. When the boat comes out of the water later this month, I will be sure to post pictures.

Feb 24, 2024
Merit M22 Tacoma
Progress report ;)
Hull paint, stripe, new logo, that part is ready to go now.
I did the common upgrade on the keel winch by installing an ATV winch to replace the use of the starboard lewmar to raise and lower the keel. new neoprene keel trunk seal fabricated. all 8 cam cleats have been cleaned and rebuilt, along with the 4 winches. The OEM Signet depth gauge and speedo faces have been buffed out so you can see the displays again, along with the compass globe.
Weather is getting iffy here now, but still hopeful to get it in the water at least once before the snow flys. fingers crossed :cool:

View attachment 170430View attachment 170431View attachment 170432
Do you have any specs on the electric winch you installed for raising the keel? Is there any trial and error involved with the placement of the installation of the electric winch so the keel isn't accidentally raised in such a way where it is out of alignment with the keel trunk? Did you make any measurements or come up with any calculations prior, or did you just eyeball it and install it?