This could have Merit (or: look what followed me home)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I've had my eye out for a Merit 22 for a couple years now, but when this one first came up on CL 2-3 months ago, and I drove the 3 1/5 hours to inspect, I turned around and came home without it. too much money for the amount of work it needed. time passed and the price dropped. but still not by enough to interest me. I had to take a stab at it, so I offered him what I thought it was worth ($800.00) and waited for a nasty reply for such a "low-ball" offer.... but low and behold he said "OK", and the next day it was in my yard. Even at the price, I was apprehensive if I had let my desire for a Merit 22 cloud my sanity, but now that I've emptied out the piles of "extras" and done an inventory, I'm feeling a lot better that I actually got a pretty good deal. 5 very serviceable sails, spin pole, boom vang, etc, along with all the little extra upgrades that you usually don't get with a boat. apparently the po before the guy I bought it from was an active racer and set the boat up accordingly. mid boom traveler, controls led aft, etc.. needs some old running rigging replaced and some of the hardware needs serious servicing, but it's there, and it works. The rig (amazingly) trailered fine for the 200 miles back home, but one of the first major things to tackle is still to get rid of that cobbled together trailer and get the boat properly supported. I already have a nice trailer ready to set up for it. after that it's pretty much the usual cleaning and replacing old and tired rigging etc.
so what do you think? does it have Merit? ;)
P1010002.jpg
P1010003 (1).jpg
P1010002 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I used to have a MacGregor 22 and I would take it to the NC coast every summer. Great little boat and I could go up bayous and anchor in shallow water. But I always kept a very close eye on the weather. I was always a little nervous about how the rigging would hold up if I ever got caught in some really nasty weather. It seemed light to me. With today's synthetic fibers, I think you could beef up the chain plates on that Merit and swap out the standing rigging for some really tough dynema (without adding weight aloft) and make yourself a true little coastal cruiser that you could feel safe hopping out side for a run down the coast.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The trailer is worth $800.
Oh trust me.... the trailer is not worth $800. ;). it was cobbled together out of an old tilt type power boat trailer. the bunks are re-positioned wrong for this boat and it's deforming the hull at the bunk ends. it's likely going in my metal scrap pile after I get the new one set up.

I spent today cleaning and sorting through the "extras" that came with the boat. threw away enough to fill a 40 gallon trash can :what:. I'm really impressed at how well this boat is made. maybe I'm just comparing it to my Mac 25 :waycool:, but the Merit inner liner is VERY well thought out in particular. I've always felt that way too much space is wasted in most sailboats, but this thing has massive amounts of well designed, and dry, storage spaces formed by the inner liner:clap:.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
From the photos I'd say you've got a pretty good boat. It shouldn't take all that much to make her ship-shape. I've often found the restoration to be almost as much fun as sailing her. Good luck and have fun!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Looks like a nice fun boat. Some days I really wish I had never got a boat bigger than my old Hobie 16. Ah, for the joys of a small, simple boat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You're going to have a lot of fun with this project. A well designed, well built boat that is the perfect size for the DIY person. The 22 footer will not cost you a fortune in parts, everything is simple and easily accessed, you have it at home where you can work on it at your leisure. In the end you'll have a sweet toy for racing or gunkholing. Congratulations.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
spent most of the day cleaning house today. changed the bucket of water 3 times after it turned to mud. check out the amount of storage space in this critter! I love it!! and inside every one of those huge covered cubby holes is a fully enclosed tub formed in the inner liner. water tight and clean!! in the cockpit
there's a laz on BOTH sides. each 75% tubbed (half open at forward wall as seen in pic). lots of work left to do, but I'm getting excited to get it wet now :cool:.

P1010001.jpg
P1010004.jpg

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Yet it's reportedly quite fast as well. PHRF of 213 is not to shabby for a 22' $800.00 boat :cool:
There is a Merit 22 that races in our Thursday night PHRF series and it is FAST!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
There is a Merit 22 that races in our Thursday night PHRF series and it is FAST!
Thats good to hear. I understand it's especially good in light to moderate conditions? can't wait to find out for myself also :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thats good to hear. I understand it's especially good in light to moderate conditions? can't wait to find out for myself also :)
Merits were very popular in SF Bay in the early 80s. Hardly only light air boats, they sailed in The Bay and out in the ocean, too. Well made, fast. They also made a 25 that was also a rocketship.
You found a keeper.
Good luck and all the best.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I occasionally crewed on a Merit 25 in Chicago during the mid-80's. It was a popular boat in the Chicago area, I think with enough boats for one-design class at Montrose Harbor, where we sailed. We raced on Wednesday nights with Tartan 10's being represented as well. You will have fun with your boat!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The first boat that we ever looked at was a Merit. My barber was a lifetime member of our present sailing club and it was up for sale. It wasn't 'Winnebago' enough for the admira, but the cool thing was the members in the slip next to his invited us out for a sail. We were in our church clothes but we went out with them anyway!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Easily one of the best 22 footers of its generation. As long as there is no wet core you'll have fun putting it together.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Easily one of the best 22 footers of its generation. As long as there is no wet core you'll have fun putting it together.
I did an extensive slow walk-about on the deck before purchase and didn't feel any soft areas at all.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Why why why do people paint hulls above the water line? perhaps there's a smallish boo boo so the whole boat gets painted? maybe it's some trick paint that guarantees 1/2 Kt extra speed? I don't know what this stuff is, but it reminds me of grandpas picket fence after a "whitewash". appears to have been rolled on with a close nap roller (done reasonably well) but it has a very flat finish. almost like severely oxidized jell coat. I'm spraying with Citrus Strip, soaking, then scrape off the glop with a razor blade. works well, if a bit time consuming. what I've exposed so far should wax up like a new penny, so maybe it was painted to protect the jell coat :laugh:
As a general rule I'll walk away from a potential purchase simply due to having been painted, but I did make an exception on this one because the Merit 22 is quite hard to find. oh well...... it's all good.. I have about 1/2 of one side stripped so far (note where gloss ends just ahead of the trailer bunk) and have found no reason for the paint, but perhaps something will show up eventually.
rant over :)
P1010004 (1).jpg