Tailpipe under water?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I have an 800# capacity hand truck with a 3x3 tube welded to it with a 2 5/16" ball mounted on it that I use for helping folks launch. They can then figure out the tongue extension length. Using chain to put the trailer in the water this truck still allows steering and with a couple of friends and lines to pull on the truck one can change the direction without getting wet.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The tongue weight was why I had problems with my two extendable tongues. They were on trailers for a Catalina 25 and a Clipper 26 and you need to have at least 10% of total trailer weight on the tongue or you get trailer sway. The tongue weight was between 400lbs - 500lbs and it put a bow in the extension so that it was really hard to get back in.
Try moving the axles forward....

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
It dawned on me there is already a 'tag' wheel on my trailer--the swivel jack.
Seems to me if I lower it just enough it will prevent any significant deflection of my 7' extension tongue,.The only issue may be that the small wheel may hang up in the corrugations of the concrete ramp. If so, I can change out the small wheel for a larger one.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is there really an issue with deflection of a tongue extender for this trailer? I guess I'm asking if you have that much weight on the swivel jack? It is a triple axle trailer and if the boat is loaded in a balanced way, I would think the boat would sit rather level on the trailer and the trailer does not really need that swivel jack to stay level. So if you buy an adjustable height hitch and make the ball level with the trailer tongue I would think you should have zero deflection of a tongue extender. I would revisit the idea of putting a piece of square tube inside of a larger square tube... add a few of these...

1582640689133.png

along the outer sleeve. Pump in some water proof grease at the beginning of the season. When you pull the boat, you should be able to get on level ground, chock the wheels and then back the extender back into the outer sleeve using your tow vehicle.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Intresting, do you have a pic or drawing?
I use a 3x3 square tube to mount the ball. The ball is mounted up the handle above the wheels a few inches. This allows the plate to contact the bottom of the tongue when attached to a hitch and keeps the handle a few inches above the ground and adds friction to keep the truck from turning easily. Attach a chain or strap to the trailer frame and not the hand truck. To keep from getting wet attach a line to the handle that can be lead to both sides and pull the lines to make adjustments to the direction of the truck to keep the trailer going in the direction required. Or you can wade in and drive the truck. I've launched several boats with this thing.

IMG_1838.JPGIMG_1837.JPG

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
It dawned on me there is already a 'tag' wheel on my trailer--the swivel jack.
Seems to me if I lower it just enough it will prevent any significant deflection of my 7' extension tongue,.The only issue may be that the small wheel may hang up in the corrugations of the concrete ramp. If so, I can change out the small wheel for a larger one.
I would recommend not using the swivel jack for a tag wheel. they are not meant for significant side loading and it will break.

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Yeah, I want this to work right the first time!
I'm visualizing a pair of tag wheels to sit under the trailer hitch, eliminating any deflection of the extension tongue
A pair of 10" wheels from Harbor Freight, a welded steel frame thru-bolted to the 3x3:
tag wheel.png

Jan 19, 2010
Well... I would take it to a ramp first and see if you have a problem floating the boat off the pads before I start modifying the trailer. :waycool:

Apr 5, 2009
If you are going to use a fixed tag wheel, I would not also use an extendable tongue because the tag will roll straight and the truck will not stay in-line. That is why I suggested the strap or chain to connect the truck to the trailer. I also really like Ricks steerable dolly.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you build a device dont forget about deflection of the axle. Dollies usually have a rated load so that does help with selecting the right one

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Yeah, I want this to work right the first time!
I'm visualizing a pair of tag wheels to sit under the trailer hitch, eliminating any deflection of the extension tongue
A pair of 10" wheels from Harbor Freight, a welded steel frame thru-bolted to the 3x3:
View attachment 175398
If you really want to have some fun. Build an extension trailer. Do this by adding a T with wheels at the end of your extension with a ball above the wheels. I used to have one of these when I had a boat business in the '80s.

It just takes a little practice backing up with the 2 pivot points (2 balls). :)

Apr 5, 2009
Like This. You could make it retractable / collapsible with different sized tubing.

Once you get the hang of it, that system is not bad to back. In a previous occupation, I drove over the road "Rocky mountain doubles" with a stiff tongue pup which is the same 3 units with 2 pivots. Once I needed to back them two miles with a 90º turn to get out of a dead-end. I suggest practicing in an empty parking lot before going to the ramp. You do not want to provide fodder for the marina score cards. :beer:

Jan 19, 2010
You do not want to provide fodder for the marina score cards. :beer:
When we are at the lake, my wife and I sometimes picnic at the state park... and when we do, we like to grab the table near the ramp. :laugh:

Apr 5, 2009
When we are at the lake, my wife and I sometimes picnic at the state park... and when we do, we like to grab the table near the ramp. :laugh:
When I was in high school, I worked summers at my brother's marina at a popurlar water-ski lake in So Calif. Every weekend I would make several hundred buck putting boats into the water for guys who had no clue how to back. My standard fee was $5 only if I made it the first try with the boat between 6"-12" from the dock. I could ussally spot those who needed my service by the way they pulled into the prep area.:biggrin:
If they rejected my offer I let them know that it was $20 if they gave up and came to me after failing to get their boat launch. I got a suprising number of $20 fees. :kick:

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
The ramp we normally use at the South Shore boat ramp in Milwaukee is fairly shallow for quite a ways out . We use a 20' section of 2 inch sqaure tubing that quickly and easily disconnects from the trailer . It is quite common for the exhaust to be underwater when launching . It's never created any source of grief . However we are in fresh water .

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I use a 3x3 square tube to mount the ball. The ball is mounted up the handle above the wheels a few inches. This allows the plate to contact the bottom of the tongue when attached to a hitch and keeps the handle a few inches above the ground and adds friction to keep the truck from turning easily. Attach a chain or strap to the trailer frame and not the hand truck. To keep from getting wet attach a line to the handle that can be lead to both sides and pull the lines to make adjustments to the direction of the truck to keep the trailer going in the direction required. Or you can wade in and drive the truck. I've launched several boats with this thing.
You might be able to gain some steerage by securing the line to the upright part of the hand truck (attachment point shown in green circle). When the tow vehicle moves the line follows and so does the direction of the hand truck handle
1582905229367.png