Strange starting issue - anyone else experienced?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Really the best advice I got was to get her ship shape and familiar with the systems installed before making changes, upgrades or improvements. I fixed all the little things on my 310 that had been ignored, none were major show shoppers that first several months, but ever time I worked on her I learned a bit more.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
You can find the gauge at NAPA or any automotive supply store. The gauge usually comes with an assortment of fittings to fit different ports. Since this is a Kubota diesel, you will need a metric fitting. Most come with flexible plastic tubing to run between the gauge and the engine. This tubing works fine, but can become brittle with age. Copper tubing can be used instead, just remember to make a coil of the tubing near the engine to dampen any vibrations. Typically the kit will have ferrules that slide over the tubing to seal it to the gauge and fitting.
You can also get brackets to mount the gauge, or drill a hole somewhere and mount the gauge in that.
Tom, I’m pretty sure the fittings on the engine are 1/8” pipe. That’s what the parts manual for the M25 XPB shows and I’m pretty sure that‘s what I installed. Maybe those parts were added by Westerbeke?

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks! I will. Btw, if I wanted to install a sending unit for an oil pressure gauge wouldn't that screw into a port on the engine in the same general area as the pressure guage? If so, being such a newbie, I would have to figure out how to wire it in to the existing wiring harness of that question makes any sense.
I just ran a wire from the engine to the engine instrument pod. It was pretty easy to do. As I recall blue is the “official” wire color for an oil sensor. No need to run a ground, because that’s already done for you.

Nov 16, 2012
IMHO an oil pressure gauge is more of a luxury than a necessity. A temperature gauge is far more necessary. You are unlikely to experience an oil pressure failure as long as there is oil in your crankcase. The only vulnerable place for a sudden oil leak and loss of oil is the oil filter; it is flimsy and exposed. If you take a quick look at your engine and the bilge under it before each day's outing you should be OK. On the other hand, all kinds of unforeseen and invisible problems can affect the cooling system, from broken impellers to a blocked raw water intake. I would be very uneasy with an added external oil line (flimsy and exposed) to a gauge. If you are going to install an oil pressure gauge, I would stay with the electrical model with the sending unit on the engine block.
I’m not sure I would call it a luxury. An oil pressure gauge will also tell you when the oil has warmed up; you want to avoid high rpm until the oil is warm. I prefer having both, and removed the voltage gauge for the oil pressure one.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom, I’m pretty sure the fittings on the engine are 1/8” pipe. That’s what the parts manual for the M25 XPB shows and I’m pretty sure that‘s what I installed. Maybe those parts were added by Westerbeke?
Yes, thanks. That makes sense.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I just ran a wire from the engine to the engine instrument pod. It was pretty easy to do. As I recall blue is the “official” wire color for an oil sensor. No need to run a ground, because that’s already done for you.
That's true. Most sensors are the ground.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes the ground is made when you screw the sensor into the engine block. Why you don’t use Teflon tape on the sensor threads you need to make the connection through the threads. Metal to metal.

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
If I remember correctly, the M25XPB has an oil pressure switch, not a low oil pressure switch. When you hold the "ignition" key on, it provides power to the lift pump and silences the oil pressure alarm. When the engine develops enough oil pressure, the pressure switch provides power to the lift pump and silences the alarm. If the oil pressure drops, the lift pump shuts down the engine and the low oil pressure alarm is engaged. This is a normally open switch, not normally closed.
Unfortunately on the C310, the engine will often run without the lift pump working, since the fuel level is sometimes higher than the lift pump.
I found that the hard way two years ago. The fuel lift pump had failed and the engine stopped when the tank was down to about 2/3 full, and could no longer gravity feed the engine.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Thanks so much. Apparently, I am have chosen the route to diesel knowledge of doing stupid things then learning from my errors.
There are no stupid questions. We have all been there at one time or another. Still learning
after 76 years.

Clyde Thorington
C31- # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA