SS U-Mixing Elbow

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I bought giant pipe wrenches from Harbor Freight just for this purpose. I doubt I'll ever need them again. Which is why I was cheap.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Well, I guess the USPS gets as much credit as Haley and the folks at HDI, but my exhaust system arrived today (Sunday!), less than 48 hours after I ordered it. Washington State to Tampa in 48 hours, via Priority Mail.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Sorry, not convinced that using an aftermarket SS elbow is any better than stock. Why? Cause my original lasted 30 years! Sure, it was blocked, but I don't believe that if it was SS that the result would be any different. The good folks at Tacoma Diesel said "bring it in every two years for a free cleaning". Not a bad deal.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i seem to remember an old yan mar 2 GM 20 F s 1995 vintage exhaust elbow where yan amor reverse - threaded one of the connectors. the only clue they did that was was in their parts manual. has any one found that to be the case on your engines ? it sure helps to know...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
i seem to remember an old yan mar 2 GM 20 F s 1995 vintage exhaust elbow where yan amor reverse - threaded one of the connectors. the only clue they did that was was in their parts manual. has any one found that to be the case on your engines ? it sure helps to know...
@MitchM - The "adapter" (or in my case the riser) between the lower elbow coming off the exhaust manifold and the upper mixing elbow (a U-shaped elbow) is indeed right-hand thread on one side and left hand thread on the other. My engine is a 3ym20.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
[QUOTE=" it sure helps to know...[/QUOTE]

Yep, I broke ours by forcing it because I didn't know it was 1/2 left hand threads. It makes sense once you know (also a 2GM20F).

Ken

Nov 21, 2019
hunter 380 france
Hello everyone, before buying my Hunter 380 I had read the mechanic's report indicating that we had to think about changing the exhaust elbow. I looked at the engine model and ordered on the exhaustelbow website. But ... It is not the right product now that I saw the engine in "real". It could be mounted on it, but if such an elbow was planned there must be quite a lot of reason. What do you think? Can I mount it anyway? I have some doubts, because the water outlet will be lower by at least 10 cm per intake before.

Nov 21, 2019
hunter 380 france
Hello everyone, before buying my Hunter 380 I had read the mechanic's report indicating that we had to think about changing the exhaust elbow. I looked at the engine model and ordered on the exhaustelbow website. But ... It is not the right product now that I saw the engine in "real". It could be mounted on it, but if such an elbow was planned there must be quite a lot of reason. What do you think? Can I mount it anyway? I have some doubts, because the water outlet will be lower by at least 10 cm per intake before.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
if such an elbow was planned there must be quite a lot of reason. What do you think? Can I mount it anyway? I have some doubts, because the water outlet will be lower by at least 10 cm per intake before.
With only your boat model it is an impossible question to answer. We are going to need more information in order to attempt to give you an answer that might help address your boat problem.

You discovered a very important issue in refitting a sail boat.
I looked at the engine model and ordered on the exhaustelbow website. But ... It is not the right product now that I saw the engine in "real".
lets start with:
  1. what is the engine model
  2. Can you provide pictures of the engine especially of the exhaust system
  3. picture of current exhaust elbow
Perhaps the we might be able to share some ideas on solving your challenge.

Nov 21, 2019
hunter 380 france
Bonjour, pour le modèle moteur c'est un yanmar 3JH2E, comme sur tous les H380 je pense. Pour les photos, elles sont ci-dessous. J'ai essayé de montrer le coude et sa sortie et aussi avec le nouveau à côté.
Le nouveau peut atterrir sur le site sans problème. Mais ... Soudain, sans ce virage, s'arrêtera plus bas. J'ai mis la photo du manuel du 380 schématisant le tout. Même si je ne peux pas confirmer que la ligne de flottaison est bien celle montrée sur ce schéma.
Merci d'avance!!!

Attachments

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Hello, for the engine model it is a yanmar 3JH2E, like on all H380 I think. For the photos, they are below. I tried to show the elbow and its exit and also with the new one next to it. The new one can land on the site without problem. But ... Suddenly, without this turn, will stop lower. I put the photo of the manual of the 380 schematizing the whole. Even if I cannot confirm that the waterline is the one shown in this diagram. Thank you in advance!!!

Nov 21, 2019
hunter 380 france
Hello, for the engine model it is a yanmar 3JH2E, like on all H380 I think. For the photos, they are below. I tried to show the elbow and its exit and also with the new one next to it. The new one can land on the site without problem. But ... Suddenly, without this turn, will stop lower. I put the photo of the manual of the 380 schematizing the whole. Even if I cannot confirm that the waterline is the one shown in this diagram. Thank you in advance!!!
Merci pour la traduction!!! Je pensais acoir posté en anglais avec une traduction google!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Merci pour la traduction!!! Je pensais acoir posté en anglais avec une traduction google!
"Thanks for the translation!!! I thought I posted it in English with a google translation!". Again, de nada or vous êtes les bienvenus.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I would think that maintaining the existing elbow would be easier than putting in the new one.

As for the elevation above the water line, you are ok, even with the new one installed.

That drawing is the same for my Hunter 430 and I have a different engine.
Jim...

Nov 21, 2019
hunter 380 france
Ok! Thnaks a lot! I want to use the new one because i buy it lol, and it's cheaper than the original and more simple to install.

Dec 23, 2009
Hunter 310 Sydney
of interest, my SS Mixing elbow on my 2GM is great but the joint fitting just snapped today filling the boat with exhaust water and diesel smoke

I managed to get it back to my mooring (fresh water cooled so turned the sea cock off).

Took me a while to work out what when wrong as it was still sitting nicely over the broken joiner .

It was fitted around 4 years ago and I suspect the joiner just gave up the ghost with the exhaust temp changes.

Attachments