• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

South African "Catalina" 22

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I have been quiet for a while... but I have not been idle. There is just so much going on at work, at home and in general that I don't seem to get to everything all the time. So today I will make an update here.

Saturday last weekend, 05/10/2019, was another amazing weather weekend for outdoor boat painting! Well, primer coat anyways. After washing down the general grime from the previously painted epoxy barrier coat I masked up areas where white trim paint will be applied. I have a tin of white Perfection undercoat left over from the hull painting which was just standing around waiting for a purpose! So after wiping down the masked off areas with the cleaning agent I set about painting with a small foam roller.

Unfortunately, as with anything boat related, it took much longer than expected... the whole day!

I am happy with the results. The slightly grey areas are where the anti-slip coating must still be applied. I'm leaving the the white primer coat to cure fully before a quick wet sanding to be followed up with a final topcoat in white.

I am now busy doing the cockpit area at the moment... lots of sanding, fixing holes and removing rotten gel coat where needed. Back to being itchy again :banghead:

Attachments

May 23, 2017
I am going to replace the old cracked and rotten wooden hand rails. Teak is just way too expensive so I am going with a wood called Meranti. It is a fairly hard wood but easy to work with and pleasant looking. Initial stages of sizing, placement of holes and shaping to fit the coach roof which is actually concave in the forward/aft direction. Will update this post as the woodwork progresses...

Attachments

May 23, 2017
Working on the cockpit... from post 284 onwards, I went all mad and modified the cockpit to make drain holes through the transom! This involved cutiing it long ways, lowering the cockpit sole, supporting it at the lowered level by building it into the transom and then bonding in pieces of plywood to close the gap along the sides. This I then covered with CSM and thickened resin. That was like a year ago!

So now in sanding the cockpit in prep for painting I see there a craps repairs made by PO in the rear corner, port side. This turns out to be a great gaping hole! Removing rotted gel coat turns into a hole stbd side forward. Along with closing holes from removing the main sheet traveler as well as the holes I made to secure the wooden frame I made to turn the boat upside down I ended up with doing some fiberglass repairs to close the holes.

A job in progress.. TBC!

Attachments

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Firefly Wilmington nc
Brother, ever think of building boats for fun and profit? (Yeah I know the profit part is rare) this will be the highest quality jaguar in South Africa.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Working on the cockpit... from post 284 onwards, I went all mad and modified the cockpit to make drain holes through the transom! This involved cutiing it long ways, lowering the cockpit sole, supporting it at the lowered level by building it into the transom and then bonding in pieces of plywood to close the gap along the sides. This I then covered with CSM and thickened resin. That was like a year ago!

So now in sanding the cockpit in prep for painting I see there a craps repairs made by PO in the rear corner, port side. This turns out to be a great gaping hole! Removing rotted gel coat turns into a hole stbd side forward. Along with closing holes from removing the main sheet traveler as well as the holes I made to secure the wooden frame I made to turn the boat upside down I ended up with doing some fiberglass repairs to close the holes.

A job in progress.. TBC!
All the progress is looking great-

How was that hole hiding so well? Was it that large originally, or had you banged out some cracked areas? That's a real, classic, text book example, of a hole if I've ever seen one... If you have the time - it would be great to see a few photos of the repair process. I've learned a lot just watching the thread - you've been doing great work-

May 23, 2017
All the progress is looking great-

How was that hole hiding so well? Was it that large originally, or had you banged out some cracked areas? That's a real, classic, text book example, of a hole if I've ever seen one... If you have the time - it would be great to see a few photos of the repair process. I've learned a lot just watching the thread - you've been doing great work-
Hey HH... thanks the feedback, glad I could be of help. The hole was hiding behind very poor repair with a layer of grey bondo (auto body filler) on top. It was exposed when I scraped away the blue paint used to cover it! :banghead:

Once I started to clear away the bondo the exposed fiber glass repair literally just peeled off with a decent tug. It was always a visibile bad repair to tend to on my work list, it's just that I have left the cockpit to last as it involves getting all itchy again with sanding away gelcoat and rotten fiber glass.