South African "Catalina" 22

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Greg - I've said it before, but my hat is off to you sir. You are one tough mother getting all that work done. You might be the hardest working man I have ever seen. Aside from that, you completely rehabbed a beautiful wood dinghy in between. You're going to enjoy that 1st cold 6-pack and a nice summer sail soon. Great work-

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Wow... nice spiffy new look forum... well done to the wizards!

@Hardhead thanks the nice comments... it's what keeps me going in the low times! I must be a bit of a hardhead as well ;)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Keel update: So I have been looking at the shape of the keel and see the top end that fits into the keel box slot is concave on the one side and convex on the other side. The keel must have been moulded on its side and what should be a flat surface sagged and became dish shaped. So the keel work continues with fairing and sanding and a bit more of each followed by a bit more... etc etc etc. I get bored with it and it takes long for the fairing compound to harden in the cold weather. The only good thing is being able to wheelie the keel in and out of the garage. I am basically just trying to achieve parallel flat sides... more or less! Another job that's just dragging on.

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Chain plates update: from post #392 where I started drilling holes in the flat bar to having completed the deck fittings to my satisfaction. The under deck fitting into which the the actual shroud fitting's "tangs" will be welded are in progress. So I started by shaping the on deck fittings first to see how they turn out and then use them as a guide for sizing the under deck fittings. It was very labourious work, mostly using the Dremel to clean out the slot with a metal cutting bit and then filing by hand to get final shape and sizes. I think they look rather good. These will be bolted down through the deck into the under deck parts. I filed a chamfer into the slot on the underside to allow for a bead of sealant to be squished into when tightening down the fitting.

If you are wondering at the size of the metal parts I had to buy a 6 meter length by 5mm thick of the stuff! Suppliers not prepared to cut up lengths. Originally it was to be used for the upper shrouds which have fixtures bonded into the hull down below the seatee's. What to do with over four meters of 316 stainless flat bar just lying around begging for a project!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Chain plates update: Under deck fittings. These are the parts that will actually secure the shrouds to the deck. Except for the upper shrouds the others are all directly mounted to the deck and transfer loads to the deck. The fore stay is coupled to the bow eye u-bolt, the two upper shrouds is coupled to the hull fittings.

The idea was to take two pieces of flat bar, weld them together to make a larger flat plate with a slot in. The slot will then accept the "tang" onto which the shrouds are secured. The tangs are to be welded on the underside of the flat plate. I duly cut the half slots in each piece, beveled the edges for welding, welded the two pats together both sides, ground down to flat the upper faces and started shaping the slots for final sizes. I've done 5 out of the 8 so far when I took these pics last night.

The last two pictures trying to demonstrate what I'm trying to achieve. Still got shaping and final finishing of all parts to do.

Job in progress!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Ohhh... and another one of those "I'll just quickly fit the mast step and it's another job done.... but NOOOoooooo!" wait there's more...

So I go to put the mast step fitting onto the coach roof and realise by just plain sight it's all wrong! So it's off to the hardware shop (something I don't mind doing) to find some kind of leveling device as my cell phone just does not fit inside the mast step housing. I thought I finally found and downloaded a useful app!

Anyways I had to get the boat level with my old friend the water u-tube gauge first, then check, then sand back down to good surface, then make up a batch of fairing compound, apply, cover the mast step with a thin plastic so it won't stick, smush it down into the soft paste, line it up forward and aft center line, line it up vertical like athwart ship and then bolster it with a piece of wood just so it would not sag over to the one side!

Actually was very happy with outcomes, just another job in progress awaiting to be finished! Sure glad I did not get round to painting the coach roof like I had planned to!

Apparently my garage floor is not level either as can be seen in the first couple of shots!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Chain plates update: So this past weekend was lots of time consuming metal work. I am actually enjoying this as it's a case of seeing something coming together and making progress. Last post #405 I was putting together the "bottom plates" for my chain plates.

This time I have rounded off the corners, sanded them clean, knocked off sharp edges, drilled the holes for the bolts, tapped the threads for the bolts with a 6mm thread tap. I also drilled holes in a section of the flat bar and cut it into lengths for the actual vertical parts for the chain plates.

I then spent last night welding the parts together. Very satisfying seeing the pieces come together. :)

The observant will see six completed and two not yet completed sets. Completed ones are for the forward/aft shrouds and back stay mountings = 6. The upper shrouds need to be fitted in place before I can align the bottom plate for welding so its sits up correctly alingned and flush with the underside of the deck. I also still have to finish off the vertical parts... round off the corners and pollish up nice and shiny.

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
So now was the time to also make holes in the deck! :rolleyes: Nothing we hate more than making holes through the deck huh! The chain plates got to fit through holes somehow?

Read long ago somewhere about lining up the chain plates to the mast. So I used a piece of string attached to the center of the mast step mount (which is still not completed yet!), stretched it out to the appropriate chain plate position and lined up the straight edge accordingly. Then it was time to drill holes. I drilled pilot holes, bored them out to fill back with epoxy at a later stage, shaped them to suit the chain plates and them finally cleaned them out ready for the next stage... filling with a thickened epoxy mix.

The nice part of this is that drill out and cleaning out the holes produced a whole lot of bone dry brand new plywood core material that I installed all those months ago! No damp wet wood in there :plus:

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Shroud chain plates update: So Imanaged to get some more work done this paste week and weekend. Been a bit of a rainy period which stopped play yesterday. The lower shroud chain plates fabrication is completed. The upper shrouds chain plates are still in progress.

This week I used double sided tape to hold the chain plates in place while I ladled thickened epoxy in to back fill the holes for them and the securing screws. Trying to do this in late winter evenings is not the greatest as dew and cold temps set in and slow things down. Saturday was bright and sunny so I sanded away excess epoxy on deck and laid down three layers of cloth with epoxy to seal and cover over the area. The black dots were just my cutting guides.

I then cut the slots for the chain plates but got rudely interrupted by the rain. So still need to drill the holes for the securing screws. But overall I'm very happy with my results. Still have the back stay chain plates to install and then I will be able to put up the big stick thingy for the flappy cloth bits!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Mast step update: So the mast step footing was made in post #407 but not finished off yet.

This past weekend when there was a bit of sun and calm weather I could complete the job. First was to build up a slope around the mast step foot print pad, the pink looking part, to blend it nicely into the coach roof surface. This was made from a thickened epoxy mix and once cured I could sand off the rough edges. I then prepared several layers of glass cloth in increasing sizes to add a bit of structure surface strength as well as create a bit of a sloping surface. Applied cloth with epoxy resin and once that had cured overnight I then sanded and blended the edges into the flat surface of the coach roof. The black lines are just the cutting guides from a permanent marker on the glass cloth.

Attachments

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Do you still have the old chainplates would be cool to see the difference between OEM and custom "Greg" plates

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Do you still have the old chainplates would be cool to see the difference between OEM and custom "Greg" plates
@Grotto

Hi Grotto... as you wish!

For pictures of the original chainplates still installed you need to go back to my first few posts in this thread. Post #3 if memory serves!

Below are the photos of the old chainplates I removed from the boat. From the top side they look all good, actually have a bit of old school character but when you look closely I think they are an accident waiting to happen. They are essentially U-bolts welded into a plate and then the threads cut with a die nut type of tool. Not all of them had backing plates, three in fact had washers which had been pulling holes into the lining under the deck. I also rather replace them as the threaded sections show wear/damage but you cannot tell if there is and stress cracks in the threaded parts.

False Bay is prone to starting out with what looks like beaut weather which within an hour or two can turn into 30+ knots of wind as well as 3 to 5m swells the further you get into the bay. Most of it turns into a lee shore so forcing one to venture deeper into the bay. So I opted to replace the chainplates anyways.

I could have just gone and purchased new items but I had the materials, have the tools and skills and the patience. So why not just make my own. It has been a lengthy sometimes weary job... but so has the whole boat so far! I am very happy with the results and am way more comfotable that the whole deck will get ripped off instead of a chainplate giving way!

Attachments

Last edited:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Very cool! I like the extra area you designed into the backing plates to spread the loads. I assume your standing rigging will end in a forked turnbuckle to fit directly over the chain plate and secured with a stout pin rather than an intermediate shackle.

Those old chain plates look tired. I am sure the did well but...... very nice man. Thanks for sharing

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Chainplates update: Ok, so I have finally completed the installation of the new chain plates. The backstay chainplates went in fairly easily/well over the past couple of days. Drilled, cleaned out, backfilled with thickened epoxy and then drilled out again to fit. I have just used galvanised gutter screws as a temporary measure to hold things in place. The will all be replaced with button head cap screws of stainless steel.

I also angled the backstay chain plates forward slightly using the same concept of aligningment for the shrouds, except I estimated where the bridle will meet the single backstay to be the reference point, not the base of the mast!

Now to fit the mast step in a similar fashion this weekend, get out the standing rigging and check how the big stick thingy fits!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Chain plates update: So with the exception of the forestay/bow fitting/chain roller fitting the new fabricated custom fittings are done and installed! Woohoo... :dancing:

Over the weekend between social family life, the rain and sleep I managed to finish off the upper shroud chain plates installation. This required bolting everything into position and then welding the base plate to the chain plate in situ. My overhead stick welding skills are not the greatest, as well as the threat of burning the boat and all my efforts going up in flames, I tried to tack weld everything in place and then remove the parts for final welding at my table on the driveway.

Turned out okay and I'm very happy with the results. I also had to final fit the bottom bolt hole inside the boat with the dremel tool to enlarge the bolt hole size up to 8mm instead of the original 6mm. So essentialy the upper shrouds are bolted down into the hull as well as under the deck. They aint going nowhere! :)

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Forestay chainplate update: So a while back I positioned the forestay/chain roller all-in-one bow fitting for drilling, epoxy filling and redrilling the holes for the securing bolts. This weekends weather was way to hot for any epoxy work... I tried but it just boiled in the mixing cup before i could get the job done.

So I turned my attention to the bow fitting and the forestay securing method transferring the load down into the hull. This "upgrade" I have seen done by many owners, however, they have had the luxury of CD to order from. I'm not on that level of luxury and convenience, alas! So I dug out the old spare parts containers that came with the boat, mostly junk old stuff. I managed to put together a decent bottle screw and toggle arrangement to tie the forestay bow fitting down to the bow hook fitting.

Then it was out with the left over stainless flat bar I have in stock. Lots of cutting, shaping, drilling and filing. Then I had to make another hole in the deck to pass the tang through. A dry fit and finish run was made to check I was on the right track!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Forestay chainplate update: First I needed to clear away the old stub of the samson post still there in the way. Man trying to squeeze my long thin body into the bow area under the deck takes some doing!

After dry fitting all parts it was on to welding. I then welded up as best as my small portable machine and stick welding skills allowed. I found that to get the bottle screw in alignment and minimise offset I had to also bend the flat bar piece fitted to the bow hook. I have not finished off any of the stainless work in terms of shine and pollish mirror finish. Thats a job for another time when I feel like it! Right now I'm more than happy with fit and function taking the lead.

All in a days work... I'm happy with results.

The last three pictures shows the finished forestay and side shrouds fittings bolted in place (shroud chainplates view from forward looking aft with my butt firmly secured in the anchor well!). The big stick thingy should not fall over because of chainplate failure :dancing:

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
A couple of weekends ago I started prepping the coach roof for the wood work: sliding hatch rails and hand grab rails. The holes needed to be drilled, back filled with epoxy and then re-drilled for fixing screws. Long long ago in grinding/sanding away the old rotted gelcoat that ws under the old wood work I ended up with "trenches" in the areas where the screw holes were.

To put straight edge woodwork on top of that would show up as hills and valleys... not good. So to sorthis out I decided to cut lengths of glass cloth to place into the valleys over the old screw holes. The layers being increasing lengths to feather into surrounding decks level. I got like halfway through putting the glass down with epoxy before the heat of the day kicked in.

This time of year the mornings are cool, the day can get blistering and then by late afternoon the cold and damp air moves in coating the whole boat with dew. Not good for epoxy. So when the epoxy just boiled in the cup I gave up and moved onto the bow fitting job.

The update to this post is that I got the glass work done and sanded flat....ish! Well good enough to call it done.

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
So this past weekend was really good weather in that the wind was mostly a gentle breeze from the north west, the sky was lightly overcast shading the sun and there was no rain forecast. Deck painting weekend! Well epoxy primer coating at least.

The Saturday was up early, wash down the boat, sand down the entire coach roof top, sides and the entire deck as well as the cockpit coaming's sides and tops all the way aft. Needless to say that was pretty much Saturday spent climbing the ladder and weight lifting the sanding machines!

Sunday started with an early morning wash down of the deck to get rid of the nights dew and contaminations, followed by a manual drying with a household towel that has been relegated to garage towel as a consequence (SWAMBO!) followed by a paper towel wipe down. Quick breakfast followed by a complete wipe down with Acetone. Then came paint mixing.

I used the Interlux InterProtect 2000E for the entire deck and coach roof area that was previously prepped. I am new to this product so followed instructions. After the application and checking on it this morning I am very happy with results. The epoxy paint seems to have a very very fine granular consistency and a slightly textured finish that is a matt off white ever so slightly grey colour. I did thin it down with the epoxy thinners as recommended and applied mostly with simple clean white foam rollers and a small brush for corners and inside edges. The foam rollers work a treat but they don't last long though.

My intention is to go with Interlux Perfection white gloss edging around the deck and vertical surfaces on the smooth areas and then the anti-slip Interdeck in light grey for the flat surfaces on the deck, coach roof top and the cockpit coaming top surfaces.

Unfortunately not lots of photos as I was very busy with getting the paint on before it's pot life expired. It was fairly warm and the sun broke through the clouds during the late morning. A view of the deck, hatches and from the side. I'm happy!

Next is working on the cockpit area while leaving the epoxy paint to cure well as well as waiting for the next weather window.

Attachments