South African "Catalina" 22

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I have been quiet for a while... but I have not been idle. There is just so much going on at work, at home and in general that I don't seem to get to everything all the time. So today I will make an update here.

Saturday last weekend, 05/10/2019, was another amazing weather weekend for outdoor boat painting! Well, primer coat anyways. After washing down the general grime from the previously painted epoxy barrier coat I masked up areas where white trim paint will be applied. I have a tin of white Perfection undercoat left over from the hull painting which was just standing around waiting for a purpose! So after wiping down the masked off areas with the cleaning agent I set about painting with a small foam roller.

Unfortunately, as with anything boat related, it took much longer than expected... the whole day!

I am happy with the results. The slightly grey areas are where the anti-slip coating must still be applied. I'm leaving the the white primer coat to cure fully before a quick wet sanding to be followed up with a final topcoat in white.

I am now busy doing the cockpit area at the moment... lots of sanding, fixing holes and removing rotten gel coat where needed. Back to being itchy again :banghead:

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
I am going to replace the old cracked and rotten wooden hand rails. Teak is just way too expensive so I am going with a wood called Meranti. It is a fairly hard wood but easy to work with and pleasant looking. Initial stages of sizing, placement of holes and shaping to fit the coach roof which is actually concave in the forward/aft direction. Will update this post as the woodwork progresses...

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Working on the cockpit... from post 284 onwards, I went all mad and modified the cockpit to make drain holes through the transom! This involved cutiing it long ways, lowering the cockpit sole, supporting it at the lowered level by building it into the transom and then bonding in pieces of plywood to close the gap along the sides. This I then covered with CSM and thickened resin. That was like a year ago!

So now in sanding the cockpit in prep for painting I see there a craps repairs made by PO in the rear corner, port side. This turns out to be a great gaping hole! Removing rotted gel coat turns into a hole stbd side forward. Along with closing holes from removing the main sheet traveler as well as the holes I made to secure the wooden frame I made to turn the boat upside down I ended up with doing some fiberglass repairs to close the holes.

A job in progress.. TBC!

Attachments

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Brother, ever think of building boats for fun and profit? (Yeah I know the profit part is rare) this will be the highest quality jaguar in South Africa.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Working on the cockpit... from post 284 onwards, I went all mad and modified the cockpit to make drain holes through the transom! This involved cutiing it long ways, lowering the cockpit sole, supporting it at the lowered level by building it into the transom and then bonding in pieces of plywood to close the gap along the sides. This I then covered with CSM and thickened resin. That was like a year ago!

So now in sanding the cockpit in prep for painting I see there a craps repairs made by PO in the rear corner, port side. This turns out to be a great gaping hole! Removing rotted gel coat turns into a hole stbd side forward. Along with closing holes from removing the main sheet traveler as well as the holes I made to secure the wooden frame I made to turn the boat upside down I ended up with doing some fiberglass repairs to close the holes.

A job in progress.. TBC!
All the progress is looking great-

How was that hole hiding so well? Was it that large originally, or had you banged out some cracked areas? That's a real, classic, text book example, of a hole if I've ever seen one... If you have the time - it would be great to see a few photos of the repair process. I've learned a lot just watching the thread - you've been doing great work-

greg_m

May 23, 2017
All the progress is looking great-

How was that hole hiding so well? Was it that large originally, or had you banged out some cracked areas? That's a real, classic, text book example, of a hole if I've ever seen one... If you have the time - it would be great to see a few photos of the repair process. I've learned a lot just watching the thread - you've been doing great work-
Hey HH... thanks the feedback, glad I could be of help. The hole was hiding behind very poor repair with a layer of grey bondo (auto body filler) on top. It was exposed when I scraped away the blue paint used to cover it! :banghead:

Once I started to clear away the bondo the exposed fiber glass repair literally just peeled off with a decent tug. It was always a visibile bad repair to tend to on my work list, it's just that I have left the cockpit to last as it involves getting all itchy again with sanding away gelcoat and rotten fiber glass.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Update on the woodwork... as Teak wood is horrendously expensive I have decided to go with a fairly hard wood called Meranti which is easily available... one just has to take care in selecting the correct grade of Meranti. I made some progress with the grab rails for the top of the coach roof. As Meranti is not as dense/strong as Teak would have been I have gone a little bigger in dimensions without looking oversized. The photos show the sequence of production and they are finished off in term of shaping.

I quick fitting of the grab rails prior to routing the edges showed they looked ok size wise. They still need to be fine sanded and then I will coat them in clear epoxy resin to seal the wood and then varnish over the resin.

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Sliding hatch rails... a while back I started sanding down the original Teak pieces of wood in the hopes of reusing them. I put in a lot of effort but - alas - to no avail. The wood was just too far rotted and the cracking was too severe.

I bought some larger planks of Meranti and spent some time figuring out the shaping. The coach roof is obviously angled however it has also got a pronounced concave shape along the length. So I pretty much had to free hand plane the pieces of wood to the correct angle as well as fit the banana shape into then as well. Whats that about no straight or level surface on a boat???

Ran out of daylight on this job, so still busy... was just setting up to router groove in the second piece when I was politely reminded that it past past 6pm and the noise was not really appreciated... non-boaters...ppppffffttt!!!

Attachments

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Ran out of daylight on this job, so still busy... was just setting up to router groove in the second piece when I was politely reminded that it past past 6pm and the noise was not really appreciated... non-boaters...ppppffffttt!!!
6PM!? I would never get a project done ever with that curfew, is 6AM more appropriate in S,A? Here I would get coffee mugs thrown at me

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Looks really great. I'd probably go 2 full coats on the epoxy base, before the varnish - you've done a lot of work. That's what I do anyway... in the hope of increasing its effective lifespan to something beyond my own. Don't know if it works yet.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Hi Guys... was away a while - business trip to Hamburg, Germany for a couple of weeks followed by a little R&R staying with friends out in the German countryside.

Have not touched the boat since getting back home - family life, work and just plain lazy :p.

Did some work before leaving though.
Sanded and epoxy resin coated the hand rails. These are a job in progress...
Also final sanded the cockpit foot well sole, sides and seating area and rear coachroof panels for laying on a new layer of glass cloth and resin. Reason for this is the gelcoat is just so badly rotted/crazed/cracked that it was easier to just sand back and recover. Still a job in progress... The cloth used is a simple light weave(not for strength layup, just for covering), used laminating poly resin which I then overcoated with white gelcoat as per method learned from Andy at "Boatworks Today" channel.

So once done it will be sanding the gelcoat smooth and then the panting process can follow.

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
ok... so it's been a while posting something. It's just between the weather, we have South Easterly gale force season now so the wind can blow for up to a couple of weeks average 20 kts+ with gust getting up to around mid 40's kts, so there's zero chance of paint work out in that wind weather. I still need to final top coat and anti-slip the decks. :(

There's also been a business trip to Hamburg, Germany, related to my field of marine engineering and refrigeration on the Carnival Maritime passenger ships in early November which was a really awesome trip. Took my wife with and after business was concluded we spent some days staying with friends and doing day trips to sight-see. :cool:

Then there is the inevtible good days where I would rather take the time out with my family, the grand children and friends than slave away on the boat... :)

Then of course there is the odd beaut sailing day where, now that I have my skippers license, we can go out sailing the L26 with friends rather than slave away on the boat... :plus::)

So all in all been rather quiet on the boat resto side of things. However I did send the keel hangers out to get shot blasted and hard chromed. They are made of steel and the previous chrome was rusting through and peeling off. They are ready for collecting... that means get the keel finished and installed this December between trying to have fun with family and friends and actually be on holiday.

Photo's from the chrome guys... the process used is industrial chrome application, not cosmetic, so the finish is not bright and shiny but rather matt. Rust proofing is what I wanted and besides it's not like I'm going to say to peep's: "hey... come have a look at my shiny hangers!".

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LOL, yea, upside down is the way to go, less clunk noise at rest (on mine), altho may cause your boat to go slower with all that drag :yikes:......nice work on those!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
LOL, yea, upside down is the way to go, less clunk noise at rest

Dang it man. If I thought I could fix my raised-keel clunk that way, I'd flip those hangers tomorrow. We can't anchor overnight with the keel up unless it's glassy calm. It makes a lot of potential anchorages unusable except in some dire emergency. :mad:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene, flip 'em!....it's only a 2 beer job LOL.....beware of those weldments tho!:yikes:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Dang it man. If I thought I could fix my raised-keel clunk that way, I'd flip those hangers tomorrow. We can't anchor overnight with the keel up unless it's glassy calm. It makes a lot of potential anchorages unusable except in some dire emergency. :mad:
Hey Gene... I have gone to such a lot of trouble to make the keel slot and more closer fit after reading through @CloudDiver divers thread. Also read up about the spacers guys have fitted to the actual keel. So I am going to be very p'o'ed if the blady thing clunks.