Slip docking

F

Frank Arndorfer

think it through

One gent early on wrote how pilots say "any landing that you walk away from is a good one." That's thought provoking. I've been flying airplanes for 27yrs. And another popular saying is "take-offs are optional but landings are mandatory." I use this process every time I go out. Before untying lines I make a mental plan of how I'm going to get back in. If conditions are such that I cannot figure out a "landing plan", then I leave the lines tied. I realize that many times conditions are different. Unfamiliar dock, changed wind/wave conditions, etc. But I've always found prior planning to be prudent. Think it through before charging into the dock. As our friends in ATC always say..."we've got a perfect record. We haven't left one up there yet." Every sail eventually terminates with a docking. It's up to the skipper to determine how that happens. Lots of good advice given in the posts.

R

Rob

Thank you everyone!!

I want to thank everyone for the replys to docking.The resounding,,,'experience" sounds like the key.....since we have owned this boat only since January and the engine has been rebuilt since then...we have had 3 docking experiences...2 of the 3 were with smoke billowing out of the cabin....Now that we have our engine problems fixed (knock wood) we can concentrate on our manuvers. Thanks Clyde for the great link......Ive printed everyones responses and am reading over with my wife to be. happy sailing to everyone. Rob 46' Morgan "aft cockpit".

J

John Dawson

Morgan prop walk

The Seascouts flagship in Baltimore is a center-cockpit Morgan 46 and it has heavy prop walk to starboard. Useful alongside a landing, but impossible to back up straight. You may have to hand her out past the last piling if backing out.

Nov 18, 2016
Ericson 38-200 Honolulu
Excellent question! You ARE lucky to have an up-wind slip (especially being new at this). But at some point you will probably have some cross-wind, and that makes the docking more problematic. There was advise earlier to approach at a 45 degree angle which is good if the wind is straight down the slip, and you are tying off on the port side of your boat. If not, then you must keep in mind that when you apply reverse power your stern is (most likely) going to pull to port, and thus your bow to starboard, and any cross-wind will either retard or increase this bow-action; (wind straight down the slip can then catch either side of your bow). I have a 39 foot sloop; I usually try to angle* a little to get the dock-line handler at the shrouds near the end of the dock at as slow a speed as reasonable (depending on wind strength), and try to get a slightly aft-leading breast-line** on a mid or outer dock-cleat; this will help stop the boat, and minimizes bow and stern action. I only put out fenders on the dock-side if the dock has no protection and I am being blown into the dock from the windward side, to avoid snagging the fenders on the end corner of the dock; (I always put out a couple of fenders on both sides after docking).
*Angle used: 30 to 45 degrees if docking port-side; 0 to 10 degrees if docking starboard side...to minimize bow movement after applying reverse power.
** For a boat under 30 feet I would suggest (instead of taking a breast-line first), taking both bow and stern dock-lines connected so both can be looped over a mid-dock cleat on the side of the dock away from your boat, then re-cleat as needed.

Nov 20, 2017
Hanse 400e Nanaimo
@dcapn88, you know this thread is 14.5 years old? :)
The original poster is either pretty skilled at docking by now, or he's given up :).
Nonetheless, it's a timeless topic I think. Not much has changed other than more boats with bow thrusters.

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
First and foremost you need to have control of the boat. While depending on crew with spring lines or folk stepping off are fine, practicing figure 8s and steering around things is of the utmost importance. Engine control is also key to getting control of the boat. Practicing stopping the boat by reversing will give you the knowledge of how the boat will handle with various amounts of reverse throttle. It is also important to know how current and wind effect the boat at slow speed. You also need to know the speed at which you lose steering control. Current and wind also affect your boat so you need to know how these affect your boat before heading in or backing into a slip. We keep our boat on a river that has very strong currents depending on the tide and winds are frequently across the dock either blowing us off or on the the dock. While winds blowing us towards the dock are favorable that is not always the case. These situations with the wind are easily known before approaching the dock and can be accounted for. The current is the same. The current at our dock frequently flows at a 45 degree angle from the end of the finger towards the boat slip next to us. This can be very exciting when the wind is also blowing us off our finger. Depending on the strength of the wind and current I usually will head the bow towards the end of the finger moving at a fairly fast speed to counter act the wind and the current. This usually makes my wife and on lookers quite nervous as they think I’m about to smash into the end of the finger. Haven’t done that yet. The whole point is; think, plan and control your boat. You can with practice put your boat where you want it to be and stop it in that spot. Once stopped you or your deck hands can tie up to a midship cleat and from there take your time tidying up the rest of your dock lines. The one other thing I can say is not all things always go as planed. Be prepared practice maneuvering in open water and most importantly stay calm. Practice will help you with all of that.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I have owned boats from 22' to 51'. I have alwayshadaspring line ready. However in St. Thomas, Red Hook Marina, I was assigned a slip without a side dock. The wind was between 25 to 35. I was driving my 51' Idylle and towing a dinghy. The manouver required to apriach downwind, make a shro right to enter and after one slip. Sharp left. There were 6 people waiting to grab lines and stop the boat before hitting the main dock head on. After doing two three sixties outside, I commited my self. The manouver required to enter with Authority. Once committed there was no escape. Did I mentioned that I had a 22" MAX Prop? I did my two quick turns, everybody yelling to slow down. I did! One foot from the dock. Totally stopped, handed out the various lines and watched the helpers scratch their heads as they tued me off. Point being that not all dicks are tge same. You have to be prepared for any eventually. I knew what my boat could do because of practice.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
As a sailing newbie, this is my primary concern.
Every time I do it I get more comfortable.

My slip is across from the prevailing winds, I frequently have a wind blowing from the port side when heading out (in reverse) this pushes the bow away from the exit and towards a dead end. Fortunately the Catalina 27 does an amazingly quick U turn. Backing out does not concern me anymore. I untie the bow lines first then the stern spring line and lastly the stern line. I usually walk the boat out then hop on and hit reverse.

When returning I can frequently sail into the slip without using the engine at all but o have to pay attention to being pushed either into the dock or the boat docked next to me. I aim to be stopped 1/3 to 1/2 way in, then hop off walk it in the rest of the way and tie the bow lines. ( I leave the engine in neutral with the rudder turned to drive to stern to the dock)

I can not even imagine trying to pull into the slip in reverse though. I plan on trying to practice this with a buoy.
Any pointers on reversing with a tiller and outboard would be appreciated. :)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Docking is a riddle solved by practice, the key of which has been mentioned one must know how the boat is going to react to windage, current and speed. As for having someone jumping off the boat before its stopped, not for me or any crew I have on board, this is an accident waiting to happen!!!

Nov 20, 2017
Hanse 400e Nanaimo
Docking strategies vary so much with wind, current and the layout of the docks. There are some good responses on this thread but I have to disagree with some advice that you should always approach dead slow or always dock into the wind. In fact, I think a common mistake is to approach the dock too slowly and lose steerage or get swept away or turned by the current or wind. Unless you have a flaky engine, keep up enough speed for the situation and use the engine to stop the boat at the dock, because if you aren't moving you don't have much control. Assess the wind, current, and the dock layout and plan and VISUALIZE your approach accordingly. Make sure you have a spare fender and boat hook ready and test your transmission. Equally important is to plan your tie-up accordingly to avoid being blown, swept or swung off the dock after you've stopped. If you have crew, inform them of your plan and their role. If people are standing by on the dock, don't assume they know what to do. If things go wrong, often the best option is to pull out and try again rather than try to salvage the attempt. I find that most of my docking problems happen after I've stopped at the dock: a well-meaning bystander hauls in on the bow line and spins the boat around; or they don't wrap the line onto anything and can't hold the boat against the wind or current; or the crew stands on deck applauding the landing as the wind blows us off the dock; or it turns out I didn't quite nudge the engine into neutral before jumping off with the stern line :p. Finally, do a quick post-mortem in your head: what worked, what didn't, what did you learn.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
The critical point made during all of this discussion is "Have a plan". Think through what is supposed to happen and what might happen. Plan for the might happen eventuality and the supposed to happen will occur. The first time you don't plan for what might happen it will (remember, Murphy rules!!).

Our plan: With a 30k lbs boat, 41ft boat, 6ft bow pulpit, dinghy hanging off the stern, center cockpit boat we have lots of overhang, and with 3 feet down to the dock, there is no jumping off the boat when docking. We hang a spring line on the steps to be picked up by the boat hook (if possible) which can be put on the bow cleat and that will catch the boat as we enter the slip. Once that is attached, I can leave the engine in slow forward, helm to port, open the gate and step off at the steps to hand the rest of the lines to the crew. No shouting, no jumping or rushing around. Yes, we might touch the dock but that is what fenders are for.

If we miss the spring line, no worries. Nose the boat to the end of the slip and hold her there with the engine until we can calmly step off the boat. As noted, never try to stop the boat with a body part, never jump on or off, use the slip to help hold you in if needed. Have a plan and plan for the failures!! Discuss the plan with crew so everyone is clear on their part and what to do when things go wrong.

Good discussion, even if it is dated.

Nov 20, 2017
Hanse 400e Nanaimo
Docking is a riddle solved by practice, the key of which has been mentioned one must know how the boat is going to react to windage, current and speed. As for having someone jumping off the boat before its stopped, not for me or any crew I have on board, this is an accident waiting to happen!!!
A case in point: I was once executing a very routine docking and hadn't described the process at all to a friend who was on the boat. To the uninitiated I think a keelboat docking can look like a collision about to happen, and he suddenly jumped over the lifeline, caught his foot and fell between the boat and the dock. Everything was going so well until then! I learned the importance of letting the crew in on the plan and their roles before every docking.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Before you come aboard for a sail, I explain my simple rules, when out of the cockpit all persons / crew shall wear a PFD and if its at all rough only necessary trips are allowed outside of the cockpit with a PFD and tether, docking plan is laid out along with recovery and no one shall attempt to stop or otherwise jump off the Sapphire until she is all stop and secured. My full time dock is cross current and many times the wind is in the same direction as the current, our 13.4' wide hull must slide into a 15' wide set of poles at the stern with a finger dock complete with stairs to disembark from the bow.
The color coded starboard spring line and stern lines are retrieved from the starboard stern pole where they are left hanging on departure and then placed on the rearward midship cleat and stern cleats, at this point the Sapphire is near stopped the port side stern line is also retrieved from the port side stern pole once secured I gently power forward the spring line once taunt will hold the bow against the current and gently brings the starboard bow into the stairs, safety lines are detached from the pulpit and we are then able to off-board and finish securing the bow lines.

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
I always back in. I have a boat with a sugar scoop walk through transom. Easier to board and load ice and beer etc. I also find it pretty easy, stand forward of the wheel, and drive it in like a bus.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There is a lot of good advice, some seemingly conflicting advice but still good, if that makes sense. I would only like to suggest that however you choose to orient your boat in a slip, become comfortable with backing in, if you travel at all. Many slips are half-slips and are only practical to tie up stern to.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 20, 2017
Hanse 400e Nanaimo
become comfortable with backing in, if you travel at all. Many slips are half-slips and are only practical to tie up stern to.
- Will (Dragonfly)
Good advice. If you're comfortable with backing in you have more options too. For example if you have to make a tight turn into a strong wind to pull into a finger. I find it much easier to back in to those spots than to push the bow into the wind. With practice I think backing is actually easier - and you can see where you're going!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I have an issue with backing into our slip as the rivers current pushes the bow to starboard before I can get the boat secured, now backing into a slip without current I have done often.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have an issue with backing into our slip as the rivers current pushes the bow to starboard before I can get the boat secured, now backing into a slip without current I have done often.
Do you mean that the boat hits either the pole, dock or adjacent boat after you are in the slip? Or is it you have trouble getting the boat into the slip?