Slip docking

R

Rob

My soon to be wife (new to sailing),and I had our first semi heated debate on docking last weekend.....We have a slip and if we pull in bow first the boat will be pointed almost allways into the prevailing wind, lucky for us. I wanted to get everyones input on docking styles..what docking line to tie off first etc... My last boat was on a mooring so I have had minimal slip docking experience.....I know many people have various rituals on exactly what will be done when pulling into their slip. I would like to hear your input..... hopefully using this, schooling and our experience will will be better dockers by end of season. Thanks in advance, Rob

M

Mike

Lucky break

You lucked out getting a slip facing the prevailing winds. I have one too and it makes the whole job so much easier. With my Oday 23, I like to have one crew member standing outside the lifelines as I approach the slip. If at all possible (and it happens a lot because of the wind), I like to go in on momentum alone rather than power. My crewmember holds the bow spring line and steps off onto the dock as soon as comfortably possible and slows/stops the boat's forward momentum. I then step off holdin the stern line. Once these two lines are tied off, I can finish the job at my leisure. Depending on the winds and currents, sometimes I have to apply a little reverse engine thrust as I approach the dock, but with the wind usually slowing me down, its not too often. Get to know your boat's momentum speeds, how quickly she reverses under thrust, etc. Practice out in the clear. Toss some bread overboard and use it for reference points. Or toss a life jacket over and combine your manuvering tests with a man overboard drill.

L

Lee

Slipage - An Art?

I've had some real "fun" times docking with my little Mac 21 (see the link below for a pretty funny story of mine...) My experience, which has turned into my process is to nose into the slip and secure the stern docking line first, since (1) its right next to the cockpit and (2) the bow of the boat can be held to the dock with the OB once the stern is secure. Once the stern is secure, there's no need for any hurrying to tie off the bow - a lot safer... Now if you want to go stern-in-first, the same rationale can be applied - since you're in the cockpit already, tie off the stern first. Again, you can control the bow with the OB and don't have to rush to tie off the bow. For either method, make sure to use spring lines to keep your boat stable in the slip. If you are not familiar with spring lines, secure a line from the bow cleat to the dock cleat that your stern line is tied to and run a line from your stern cleat to a dock cleat near the bow - the spring lines work together with your docking lines to hold the boat steady in the slip. The spring lines pull against each other, trying to force the hull away from the dock while the docking line try and pull the hull towards the dock. The distance the boat is held from the dock is adjusted by the docking lines. Works very well and keeps your boat much more secure. Done properly, you may not even need your docking fenders... Hope this helps! Lee M21 - "Cool Change" Boulder Yacht Club, Carlyle Lake, IL BYC: http://www.boulderyc.org/ Cool Change: http://www.members.accessus.net/~hogies/mac

J

Jay Eaton

Critical Phases

In aviation, takeoffs and landings are the critical phases of flight and "any landing you walk away from is a good landing." The same is true for sailing. Currently, we drive in and back out because it is easier for all concerned.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

What are you sailing?

A lot depends on how heavy the boat is, I think. I have a long bow line the goes from the mooring cleat, through the chock and then aft outside the lifelines to the portside gate. I hate a stern line that come forward to the same place. I drive the boat up next the dock and step off with both in hand. On really blustery days I come in with fenders set on the side I'll dock to and hook a stern line and let it pull the boat against the dock. Then, leaving the boat in gear, I set a bow spring and go from there. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

B

Bill O'Donovan

Just 2 lines

Spring line is vital so you don't hit the dock. Bowline keeps you from slipping backward. The rest are details.

J

John Dawson

dock lines

Last night for Mothers Day we went to a water front restaurant on the West River. There was a superb little cruiser with teak decks and a flawless shiny hull rubbing on the catwalk. Ouch! Its port bow line was a bit long. You might want to mark your lines at their tie-off point to allow for high and low water, after some experimentation. Saves time docking.

T

Tom Monroe

I like a spring line first

I think a stern spring line is the most useful of all docking lines, especially if one can cleat it anywhere near midship. I can't, but I can grab one left on the dock with a boat hook as I go by, and drop it over a winch that's far enough forward to work. I like to come into the slip with a bit of momentum and the outboard (22 footer) in forward idle. This let's me compensate for any misread wind issues. I grab and drop on the stern springline, which stops forward momentum and pulls the hull laterally into the dock. Leaving the engine in forward idle holds it there while I get everything else secure. I don't like to have inexperienced crew working the lines because they aways jump off the boat rather than stepping off, and push me away at the wrong moment. They also just can't understand that the bow is not the place to be ... midship is closest to the dock. Saw a guy last year standing at the bow of a 40 footer, try to make a heroic leap to the dock, and end up in the drink with a severely gashed head. My wife is 52, and small, so I'm not real crazy about positioning her to "stop" the boat, either. I'd rather let the spring do that, and then let her get the bow lines on. If I'm coming in to a different slip, I'll nail a line down at the winch, and flip the line over the dock cleat and snub the momentum. All this assumes you're not coming in too hot. I think spring lines are absolutely the most useful of all docking lines. I was taught this by a guy on a 45 footer, so it works well on bigger boats too. Tom Monroe Carlyle Lake

T

Ted

Dock lines

The key is to have dock lines that you adjust precisley for length and leave at the slip. A spring line for both sides is desirable also. If the slip is "boat friendly," it will not hurt the boat if you come in so the wind blows the boat onto the dock itself. (Or use fenders). Once you are secure against the dock, you can pick up the lines on the windward side and pull the boat away from the surface of the slip. This works for me. Ted

S

Scott

All nice solutions for small boats, but

I taught bareboat certification. If you're docking a 30+ foot cruising sailboat, there are a few important procedures. 1. Dead slow. Momentum is almost always a bad thing to have while docking. Your engine should be in and out of gear, just enough fwd to have stearage. You don't drive these things like a car. remember there are no brake pedals, and that ballast in your keel that keeps it upright weighs a lot more than a whole power boat. 2. Crew should be stationed at the shrouds, shroud in one hand, bow/stearn lines in other, feet on toe rails outside lifelines. They step off (not jump off) as you come along side. 3. NEVER, EVER, try to stop a boat with a body part. ONLY use engine or mechanical advantage via a wrap on the cleat. 4. NEVER, EVER try to stop a boat with a body part. A large cruising sailboat motoring at 1Kt will coast for a half mile when you shift to neutral. Approach the slip at a 45 degree angle to the end of the pier. As your bow from the cockpit looks like it is about to collide, turn along the pier. You'll find more often than not that you turn too early, leaving the midships too far from the pier. Turn at the right moment and your boat's shape will leave the midships (widest part -at the shrouds where your crew are standing) right at the pier, boat at almost full stop. Leaving your docklines on the dock invites them to be gone when you return and need them. When they are aboard, they are in your control and possession. We used to spend a half day on docking alone (of a three day on-water course).

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Spring Line and Practice

Rob Congratulations to you both. Tom's right about spring lines. Use the search engine on this site to find a lot of past archives. Also, many of the responses assume that you'll have lots of (and hopefully disciplined) crew. You should consider the fact that if the two of you go out one day and one of you has too much (you name it...) one person is left to dock. That's where the spring line comes in handy.

B

Bill Coxe

After sailing off a mooring for years, three seasons ago I had to learn to come into a slip which is almost half-way down the pier on the inside portion. The dockmaster helped me set up a spring line running from the dock to the outer-most piling with a loop that fits over the after-most winch on the starboard side. The boat is an O28 with significant momentum, so I put the engine in neutral at the head of the dock and coast in, throwing it in gear only enough to maintain steerage way. The first season, I would coast close enough to grab the spring line from the stern with an extended boat hook, with the tiller amidships held by the autopilot in standby, and hand over hand the spring until I could put the loop over the winch. After that, everything became easy. Since I rent at a dockiminium, my dock lines are always in place, and what kind of person would take someone else's lines? Totally a rhetorical question-we all know at least two people who would. Last year I got creative and actually put the boat into reverse and backed into the slip, but line pickup was the same. The spring line says you go neither back too far nor forward too far. This is necessary because I do not often have a crew and to depend on someone stepping on or off to handle lines would curtail my efforts significantly. My .02. Bill Coxe, O28 Kukulcan, New London, CT

C

Clayton

Agree with Scott, slower is better...

Rob, I have to agree with Scott on this one. We sail a H26.5 (4,500 lbs) and while I have stopped her on occasion with brute force, that is not the way to go. My wife and I just completed the bareboat certification on a Cal 40 (16,000 lbs) and I can tell you that you definitely do not stop a boat of that size with brute force. Learn to come in SLOW. I usually take a turn by the slip before I come in just to get a feel for the wind and exactly how much throttle I will need to keep enough forward speed for steerageway (sp?). I bounced our old boat off the dock once or twice, but that's what starter boats are for right? Just Kidding... If the conditions are really difficult, I will even make an approach on a buoy prior to entering the slip area just to see how much it will take to get her home. As for which line I grab first, it depends on the conditions at the slip but it is usually one that stays on the dock with a loop I drop over one of the big genoa winches. Regards, Clayton s/v Walkabout

A

Andy

Back in practice

It depends on your boat! I always back in because our boat has the walk thru transom. Being backed in makes getting persons and material much easier to load and unload. (Read..it will make HER a happier sailor!) BUT... It took a lot of practice and some patient crew and dock buddies (Thanks GFLYC!) Spring lines-yes Dead slow-I don't know. The worst thing that happens while backing in is loss of steerage from no movement. Be sure and check the prop walk. When you put your motor in gear, the stern will initially move port or starboad. Use that to "back" and "fill"- For example, if putting your trans in forward "walks" the stern to starboard (like most), You can tie off a spring line amidships, leave it in slow forward and the stern will ease over to the dock on starboad side. (It takes a lot of "splainin" Lucy. You and the honey may want to take a trip to sailing school) It can be romantic! And above all-watch "Captian Ron" monthly!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Backing In

The downside of backing in to me has always been the lack of privacy. That's why the other guys (motors, anyone?) seem to do it all the time. Could be they're just looking for someone to talk to (OR YELL AT) (?). We enjoy meeting the folks at our dock on a regular basis, but enjoy our privacy without people walking by & looking in at us. I also understand the "getting off the boat" thing, but it's pretty easy to just get off the widest part of the hull. That's usually where the lower shrouds are located for a good handhold, unless you're between pilings and the ONLY way off is the stern. If we want to see our neighbors (or vice versa), we just open the front hatch. It's comforting to just look out our stern, bow in, andwatch across the fairway to the sterns of other boats, who are also far enough away for us not to be intrusive to them. Almost (except for the clanging halyards) like being at anchor. Stu PS How long's it been since we've done a CLANGING HALYARD thread???

D

Debra B

saddle is an option

basically a harness that keeps you off the dock. There are a lot of them around here on both large and small boats. I don't have one, but have thought about it. What there is a line tied between the piling farthest from the dock and the ceter piling. This is a hadny place to drop stern lines on the way out and can be grabbed with a boat hook. Go slow, put your fenders out. Don't back in unless you are on a deserted part of the dock. Everyone who walks by will see right through your boat. If you want to socalize put a deck chair on the dock. Or invite people aboard. If you stay on the boat while you are at the dock, you will appreciate the privacy of being bow in to your slip.

C

Clyde

Sailboat Docking

Docking a sailboat is like dancing, it takes precise coordination of predetermine steps practiced over and over again until your movement becomes fluid. The things you should practice with your sailboat is doing figure "8", going backwards and turning in circles. Do these maneuvers at different speeds, this will give you the feel of the sailboat's motoring performance. Also practice going forward at hull speed and then see how long it takes your sailboat to come to a complete stop. The cardinal rule for docking is ALWAYS DOCK INTO THE WIND! You can do a MedMoor or stern to docking if there isn't any wind or if the wind forces you to enter stern to into your slip instead of doing a bow in docking maneuver. As previously stated in other responses, DO NOT USE BRUTE STRENGTH TO STOP A SAILBOAT! Docking is like Jujitsu, a small amount of force applied at a pivotal point can control the direction a large mass will move in. Or in other words, the use of a spring line while entering or leaving the dock can aid in close quarter maneuvering of your sailboat if applied at the proper leverage point, you don't need brute strength to control the movement of your sailboat. Captain Jack Klang, at Quantum sails, has a really good paper on "Sailboat Docking, Maneuvering and Anchoring". I've linked his paper on this subject. Fair Winds. Clyde

M

Mark MIllham

BUNK!

A lot of good advice here, but as much nonsense. If you like backing your boat...then do it. In my experience you never ever are able to dock into the wind. My slip lies with the prevailing winds, and that's a great advantage for close quarter maneuvering. If you wait for the right wind, you could be at sea for a lONG time Anyone who steps off their boat with an engine in gear hasn't thought through what a dangerous and costly move that is. Slow should be re-written as minimum maneuvering speed, which is different for each boat. The one fact that everyone is in agreement with is to "be ahead f your boat." Think ahead to where your boat will be in 10-15 seconds. Make your corrections early and deliberately. Be aware of your surroundings.....360 degrees worth, and keep your head on a pivot. Your boat is your boat! Only you can know how she will react, and you have to be flexible enough to react to the situation.

F

Frank Ross

Just went thru the

Having just gone thru our first docking last month - you have my sympathy. Just learn to nudge the engine in and out of gear. Our slip is midway down the dock. I basically put the engine in neutral at the end of the dock and coast in. (if more or less speed is needed just nudge it in and out of forward or reverse). If you coast just enough to maintain steerage you can minimize the prop walk effect. At some point you will need to find your "cut it hard" reference point. This is some part of your boat and the dock/slip/pier which when lined up from where you control you boat, is where you pivot the boat. It's like parallel parking a car - some refenence point you one uses to cut it. We practiced about 18 dockings before we felt comfortable enough. Pick a day in the middleof the week when not many people are around - you will be more comfortable without on lookers or advisors. Having someone on board with experience in docking a similar sized boat is also nice.

J

John K Kudera

Practice!

As with most things in life, you need to practice! I had our H34 for 10 years, and all that time, only backed into a slip, maybe 4 times. We went to a new marina, and had no finger pier, so backing was necessary. I tossed and turned for weeks, thinking about backing each time I used the boat. The first few times were a treat, we even drew a crowd, but with practice in all weather and winds you can do it.I also found that by standing in front of the wheel, and driving it like a bus,backing is easier, I also found that backing a greater distance, like 10 12 boat lenghts, will give more control,and,idle speed in reverse is fast when you have no brakes!