Slip docking

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Bow first.... we have no fingers so wife sits on bow... I bring boat in and stop her at the dock, she hops off and holds bow in place, I come forward with windward spring line, and she hands me bow lines and we are secure.

Each slip, boat handling, weather and person requires different approach. But always bow in as you can always choose when you are going to leave...... backing into an open space is much easier than backing into a slip with not good conditions.

Practice.

Good luck!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Do you mean that the boat hits either the pole, dock or adjacent boat after you are in the slip? Or is it you have trouble getting the boat into the slip?
Once the boat is in the slip, it's inside the outside poles and it's more difficult to retrieve the docking lines before the current pushes the bow past the down stream pole. The river can be very busy on the weekends and I have a much higher success percentage going bow in. There is no boat to the downstream side of us. When I put her in bow first I can stop her between the poles retrieve the docking lines land the lines on the stern and midship cleats and then move forward. I can't do the same when coming in stern first

PSR

Sep 17, 2013
Catalina 27 4743 MB Yacht Harbor, Richmond CA
Leaving your docklines on the dock invites them to be gone when you return and need them. When they are aboard, they are in your control and possession.
Maybe this is so in other places, but I've found leaving the lines at the dock, all set for docking, is a good choice. It did not occur to me to do this until reading Single Handed Sailing, by Andrew Evans. One of his simplest pieces of advice, since mostly we go out for day sails or weekends, was to leave the dock lines on the dock. Solo dcking has been simpler for me ever since. For several reasons, it's a good idea to have spares on board, so you have replacements at hand if necessary.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
You would need to be in a boat to take (3) of my lines, has never been an issue, the only issue is they do get crusty that is for sure.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I single hand my 1985 Catalina 30 all the time. A spring line from the tip of the pier to a midship cleat is a life saver. I leave the line at the dock so it is easily grabbed when I come in, so I can put it over the forward horn of the cleat and motor in while turning away. (If you are visiting a foreign slip, attach the line to the midship cleat and put it over the aft horn of the dock cleat.) The prop wash pushes the stern into the pier and the spring line keeps the boat from going forward. Connect the bow and stern lines then turn off the engine. Never approach the dock faster than you are willing to hit it. I recommend dock lines on both sides of the bow and stern, as well as fore & aft spring lines on both sides (if possible). Always leave your boat as you would if you expected a storm later in the day. I prefer shockles on the dock lines over snubbers. DockShockle™ Dock Line Snubber for Smaller Boats, Black, 12" (31 cm) - — Davis Instruments

If you can find a piece of floating material (Like a dock float or even a throwable cushion) in the open, practice approaching it and stopping alongside. Try to get a feel for how well your boat turns, how far it will glide with no power and how fast it will stop if put into reverse.

Jun 10, 2012
Spring line first and always first. Once you get the spring line on you can hold the boat to the dock by a slight forward throttle and turn wheel slightly away from the dock. You can sit there all day like the ferrys do in the Abacos. Next is the stern and the bow is last unless you need a forward spring. You can use the dicking stick to get the spring line on and not leave the boat. If you get the stern first you risk drifting away from the dock. Spring is always first.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
As others have said, your specific situation will dictate what is best for you. That includes the type of boat, keel and windage, the specifics of you slip (prevailing winds, currents, center pilings or not, etc.

For me, I typically go in bow first, and I get spring line (I call it a loop line) over my cabin top winch. I keep the loop line on a Shepard’s hook at the very end of my finger pier. Once I get the loop on the winch, I can power against that line, and it keeps me pulled in tight to the finger pier.

It works the same way when leaving in a cross wind or other winds that blow me around in the slip. The spring line holds me in place along side the finger pier while I cast off all of the other lines. Then, when I am ready, I start backing out of the slip, and hang the loop line on the Shepard’s hook as I back out past it.

I tried to make a video to explain how I do it…

Practice also bolsters your confidence, and that usually means better docking.

Just remember, never approach a dock faster than you are willing to hit it.

Cheers,

Greg

TJeffC

Dec 4, 2023
Catalina 425 Rock Hall
I made a line holder for our finger pier. It holds an aft spring line loop and a stern line, both fixed to the finger cleats and is made from 1" Schedule 80 PVC pipe (Lowes) and Schedule 40 fittings. The dock plate is galvanized steel (on its third season). The hooks are PVC condensate traps with a little heat bending and capped flush (tricky). When docking my first mate picks up the spring line off the top hook and loops it over the midship cleat. She then turns around and lifts the line looped on the lower hook and hands it to me in the cockpit for a stern tie. I go into gear (idle forward) and lock the wheel away from the finger (to port with finger to starboard) and the boat glues itself to the finger, allowing her to easily step off and tie off the bow lines which I toss to her. Since the boat is already tied up in the photo the lines are "on" and the spring line is seen lying on the finger.

Jeff S/V American Dream - Catalina 425 #58
American Dream dock line pole 2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I wanted to get everyones input on docking styles..what docking line to tie off first etc...
Hi Rob. Lots of good input thus far. My two cents worth relates to an article I wrote sometime ago when our new-to-us boat had no midship cleats. Adding these made slip docking solo a breeze, where before it was a monkey drill even with crew. The sequence I use, midship line secured first, followed by the bow line then stern. In our case boat size and layout dictates method, and it matters not whether in our home slip or off visiting some other dock/marina/slip. Hope this helps. Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
Clear and direct communication and always have game plan entering and exiting the slip. Discuss the plan with all involved every time. Can’t stress that enough.

I highly recommend you watch this video by Maryland School of Sailing on docking techniques. My wife and I took their 2 day course and I would recommend it to anyone.