Single handing

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In cooler weather, or higher wind. But for causal sailing probably not. And I have soft skin from spending a lot of my working life in latex gloves.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Do most of you sail wearing gloves? Or are gloves for the heavy duty larger boats?
Thanks
I wear them in sporty conditions both on the bigger boat and when dinghy sailing. Bigger boats have higher loads but also larger sheets and hardware to get more mechanical advantage, so I think the need for gloves is about the same either way.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Does anyone know of an easy reading entry level book on Celestial navigation?
Thank
Ric

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's really easy to find a complicated book on the subject. Simplified - not as much. I would look into this one.
Celestial and General Navigation Simplified: An All-in-One Guide to the Easiest, Most Complete Backup Method for GPS Paperback – November 20, 2015
by Greg Boyle (Author)
4.9 out of 5 stars 13 ratings

It is only 100 pages so the author needs to be concise. If you are going to get into it try to find and get a calculator built for celestial navigation. They have the tables so you can forego the nautical almanac.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
What do you think about glueing down outdoor carpet on the sole of the cockpit? On my Hunter, I have a cockpit that drains over the transom, I do not have cockpit drains.
Thank You

May 17, 2004
What do you think the advantage would be? I’d be afraid that it would hold water and stay wet all the time, absorbing dirt and eventually growing mold. Then if you want to remove it you’ll have a hard time really cleaning the glue off.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
What do you think about glueing down outdoor carpet on the sole of the cockpit? On my Hunter, I have a cockpit that drains over the transom, I do not have cockpit drains.
Thank You
What is the reason you want outdoor carpet in the cockpit?

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I am not sure I do, I am just “spit balling” some ideas. All of you have far more experience at sailing and owning a boat than I do. So, I am picking your brains.
Thank You

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
Hi, I am just turning 81 and my wife and I do well on our Hunter 26 water ballast on a mountain lake in Colorado. We do not have high waves, but extreme wind changes are common. I put clorox in my ballast tank. With our wind swings my biggest safety item is the roller furring, though with the down hall you should be fine. My plan this year is to set up reefing I can do from the cockpit.
A couple of years ago I set up lazy jacks using 2 blocks under the spreaders and rings from Ace. It works ok, would be better if blocks were higher, but I don't want lines hitting the spreaders at night.
Last year wanted more to hang onto when going fore ward so I installed 2 grab rails (threaded rod through plastic pipe) spaced to not mess with rigging under the boom. I used under the boom to prevent a bird hang out place. It has worked well.
When sailing single handed I do rig something to tie the tiller in place when needed.
Keep Sailing
Bill

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
My way was a little different. I purchased a fish finder and attached sender to a sealed piece of wood, the attached the wood to the stern with holes above the water line on my H26.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I am not sure I do, I am just “spit balling” some ideas. All of you have far more experience at sailing and owning a boat than I do. So, I am picking your brains.
Thank You
In my opinion, the nonskid on the cockpit sole is safer than carpet. Carpet gets slick when it gets wet and your cockpit will get wet often.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I think grating would be better as you want to carry the water away.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
How do you mark length on your anchor rode? I am going to mark mine this Summer. Looking for ways that stay on the rode.
Thanks
Ric

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Another quandary I am having, I have looked at purchasing and installing a large compass. One that is bulkhead mounted. What I have here over and over is, never make holes in any bulkhead. They only become potential leaks.
Then I see all kinds of pictures of bulkhead mounted compasses, depth sounders Etc. I am not sure what to think.
Thanks
Ric

May 17, 2004
How do you mark length on your anchor rode? I am going to mark mine this Summer. Looking for ways that stay on the rode.
Thanks
Ric
That's on my to-do list. I presume you mean rope rode, not chain? I've seen markers that you can insert into the line. Seems like it should work, I've just never gotten around to trying. You can even buy them here - Owen Mills Anchor Rode Markers

May 17, 2004
Another quandary I am having, I have looked at purchasing and installing a large compass. One that is bulkhead mounted. What I have here over and over is, never make holes in any bulkhead. They only become potential leaks.
Then I see all kinds of pictures of bulkhead mounted compasses, depth sounders Etc. I am not sure what to think.
Thanks
Ric
Tradeoffs. If sealed properly it should be possible to prevent leaks, but it will take some care, and potentially maintenance after a while to re-bed. Don't use plain silicone caulk; that's a no-no around gelcoat as it's hard to remove if it needs to be re-sealed. There are lots of good options and opinions on what's best. Practical Sailor does lots of good reviews of the considerations. One such article is The Right Caulk for Your Boat - Practical Sailor.

Another consideration when mounting something on a cockpit bulkhead is whether the location interferes with where people move around and sit. Often cockpit bulkheads are good places to recline. If you mount a large compass there that won't be possible. If you mount something like a flush-mount depth sounder there it won't prevent using it as a backrest, but you won't be able to see the instrument when someone's sitting there.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
When we learn a given procedure, then somewhere along the line, we discover a shorter way of accomplishing the same task only easier and with less steps. Why do we call the shortened procedure “cheating”? Are we suppose to feel bad about circumventing the long established way?
Spit balling
Thanks
R

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Dave
The base of my Ritchie compass (TR-33G), there are two crossed gold bars. Do you know if those bars orient the compass?
Thanks
R