Single handing

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
When you carry your VHF portable radio around, how much it at all does it affect the compass? Or is that even a concern?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Anything with a magnet, including a speaker, can have an effect. In practice we’ve never seen a problem from the VHF. If it were too close to the compass the speaker would probably cause some deviation, but at the normal distance in a cockpit it should be fine. Some chart plotters do use magnetic latches to cover the slots for their chart chips, and they recommend mounting those at least 3 feet from compasses. That’s probably a good safe radius for any other speakers too.

I don’t know what the gold bars could be for. Maybe they’re actually copper tubes or some other metal holding the corrective magnets?

The cheater question is an interesting one. I never really thought about it. There are other examples too, like a “cheater bar”. I guess there’s some vernacular uses of cheater that are just about taking an easier path and not necessarily in a pejorative way.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
My Hunter 19 is motored by an outboard. I am looking at installing a propeller cage. Has anyone who has installed one have experienced any troubles with it or has it created any problems?
Thanks
Ric

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Do any of you have strobe lights attached to your PFDs? If so, are they the water activated type?
Thanks

May 17, 2004
Do any of you have strobe lights attached to your PFDs? If so, are they the water activated type?
Thanks
Not on my normal day sails. I did an overnight off the DelMarVa coast last summer and we did all wear inflatable PFD’s with manual strobe lights all night. If I were doing more consistent night sailing I’d probably get a water activated one.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Wooden Boat Store is offering a 9’X3 1/2” streamer, where would one fly it? Off of the topping lift, or say one the starboard shrouds?
Thanks

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks
Yes, I have ACR strobe light or ACR fixed light and whistle enclosed in a nylon pouch that is attached to harness on my inflatable pfd's. The lights are manually activated. Currently doing annual inspection including inflation (with compressor), leak check, weighing CO2 cylinders, & checking batteries / light function.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
I am trying to do as much as I can from the cockpit. Going forward to douse the jib or even reef the main. I hope to stay in the cockpit. I am also looking at perhaps installing a furling system on the jib.
Those are my hopes.
CDI furler was the best money ever spent on my Precision 23. Well worth it!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I second @DAVA390 on the CDi furler. I think the FF1 would be appropriate if the forestay stud and wire will fit. You can call CDI in Canada for help as they do have a toll free number. You can leave the sail on the furler during raising/lowering and during trip. I can advise you on that

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Someone sent me a PDF on adjusting the rigging on my Hunter. I have since lost that PDF address. Would you please send it to me again? (It was maybe a Sheldon manual)
Thanks

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Is there a book out there that would give me some rudimentary ideas on boat design, IE.. How tall the mast should be, size or type of keel, Size of the sails, size of the rudder, etc.
Thank You

May 17, 2004
Is there a book out there that would give me some rudimentary ideas on boat design, IE.. How tall the mast should be, size or type of keel, Size of the sails, size of the rudder, etc.
Thank You
Frank Bethwaite “High Performance Sailing” is my go-to for in depth kinds of topics, but I don’t think he really goes into design aspects. I don’t know what the equivalent would be for design.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
What do you think about glueing down outdoor carpet on the sole of the cockpit? On my Hunter, I have a cockpit that drains over the transom, I do not have cockpit drains.
Thank You
People with dogs sometimes have the fake grass type carpet. No glue, tie it down. You can then toss it overboard for a rinse as necessary.

• Helpful
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
People with dogs sometimes have the fake grass type carpet. No glue, tie it down. You can then toss it overboard for a rinse as necessary.
Does the carpet qualify as an interim holding vessel, thus making the dumping of waste within the offshore limit illegal? Or does that only apply to human waste?

-Will