Shopping for boats and could use some advice.

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
Although the C&C Mega 30's are getting hard to find, I would be more then happy to answer any questions about them.
I designed a new SAFE single handed mast raising system that works well for that once or twice a year mast stepping (on water or trailer).
Lastly, the beam is 7.92 feet and tows easily and comfortably with my 1/2 ton quad cab 4x4.
Paul

Dec 11, 2016
Oday 240 Lake Jacomo
OK... those are pics of a the Catalina I have been looking at. She looks like she needs a bottom job to me... but I dont know these things. The close up pics shows some cracking which I was told was an area of stress cracks. Is that soemthing to be concerned about... should I plan to repair that area? It looks kind of bad to me... but I clearly dont know enough.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Looks like the gelcoat is popped out. I think he hit something....hard. I have no experience with 'glass work.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
looks more cosmetic, and location lessens worries. if you are interested in a cat25, head over to catalina25association. the resources there are incredible

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Catalina dealer, concur looks like cosmetic issues but a few more pictures of the port side would be most helpful. If trailering that boat I would clean up securing the shrouds and lines

Catalina 25 came with a wing keel introduced in 1987 for the model year of 1988. On the interstates legal width is 8 ft and 6 inches but on secondary routes it is left up to each individual state. Once a Md trooper said it was 8 ft in Maryland. Virginia is 8 ft. 6 inches and in North Carolina, it is if I recall is up to 9ft 11 in day and 9ft 6in at night unless that has changed.. However what ever the states deem is legal also applies to the interstates except for the 8 ft 6 in rule. Therefore you will need to check all states for traveling thru as to legal wide limits.

Dec 11, 2016
Oday 240 Lake Jacomo
The legal width here in MO is 8.5

Im leaning more and. More towards leaving her locally and renting a slip instead of a mooring ball... it sounds like that is easier.. and with me tryinng to get my wife and kids into sailing, easy and comfortable are important.

Man... Im a smart guy but this is not easy! What boat to buy? What length? Swing vs fixed? Tiller vs Wheel.

And then what s a fair price... boats have so many custom features... and it sounds like a lot of them area really expensive.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I would suggest that you and your wife equally share in this decision on what to get plus is this something she would like to do. If not, suggest a smaller boat like a daysailor to go out on. I would also suggest someone else to teach any spouse as sometimes that can go south.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I would suggest that you and your wife equally share in this decision on what to get plus is this something she would like to do. If not, suggest a smaller boat like a daysailor to go out on. I would also suggest someone else to teach any spouse as sometimes that can go south.

You are a wise man, sir. ;)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Have been corresponding with dbnichols but as always will not divulge any private information.

@bamabaxter where did you see the ad for the Hunter 27 and any other sites suggested to look at for the gentleman.
I have suggested Yachtworld, sailingtexas.com and the forum sites. Urged diligence and care on craigs list.

Ok folks, any other trusted sites to look at and we are talking in the 25 foot range. Please only sites. I will suggest then dbnichols look at them and if his bride and him want to talk with me, they have my cell phone for suggestions. I have asked where he saw the Catalina 25. Hopefully they will take me up on my offer. Just a few responses only as to my experience with the small boats so he has an idea of whom he is talking with. Many thanks to all.

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter 340 Rogersville, AL
I would recommend Facebook group Sailboats for Sale. I got lucky and found mine by searching all nearby marinas' classifieds on their individual website. The FB group has some good deals.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you guys for those sites. I really appreciate the information so it can help. I have sent my contact information to the fellow and he may call this weekend. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
Apex said:
I have been reading this thread with keen interest because I won the local dock lottery, with a boat ramp for launch, but no pole for mast raising. I will launch once per year with a 6 mile tow home with my 4WD F150. I own and enjoy sailing a Mac 26D, however I would like a boat with more interior volume so I will not feel so claustrophobic staying onboard over the weekends. Apex's post on Catalinas has me looking at the Capris 26, tiller steering, inboard diesel, shallow draft wing keel, transom boarding, trailer launch with mast raising. Do Capris 26 sail well? Can they be sailed well in light winds?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
..... Do Capris 26 sail well? Can they be sailed well in light winds?
One PHRF ratings list I saw shows a 213 for your Mac and a 210 for a Capris for what that is worth. I'd guess in really light winds the Mac might be faster since it is probably a lot lighter,

Sumner
===========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There was a Capri 26 parked next to us at WYC for several years. I have to say it's an attractive boat. Very pleasing lines, maybe the best looking small Catalina. Tiller a huge plus. Good for a couple as below is wide open except the head.

Masthead rig, which is kinda too bad. Not super fast, the Capri 25 is much faster. Recommended.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Had a Capri 26 for years. Fantastic.
Everything about it was roomy. Big cockpit, spacious salon, large enclosed head, queen aft berth, wide side decks. Amazing use of space.
Also a fast boat. 1,000lbs lighter than the 270, the likes of which I used to sail circles around. Quick to accelerate, great water speed even in light air. Not a true racer, but has performance characteristics borrowed from the Capri 25. Very fun to sail.
Also all the comforts of a coastal yacht; stable, well built, seaworthy, walk through transom with swim step and ladder, shorepower, full galley, auto pilot (tiller), marine head with holding and overboard discharge with macerator, hot and cold pressure water, etc.
however, not intended as a trailerable. Wide beam, fin keel.
Edit: added picture - moored in Catalina Harbor

Attachments

Last edited: