sea sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Might want to try the famed "Paihia Bombs"

Many of our Project MARC volunteers have to make overnight crossings on the often rough ocean around the Vanuatu islands. Some volunteers even stay on S/V "Alvei", S/V "Augustina" or S/V "Siome" for several days or weeks. Since about 3 out of 4 report getting very seasick co-skipper Nelleke provides all of them with the following tips, based on her personal experience during sixteen years of cruising and helping seasick crew/volunteer team members: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nelleke's seasickness prevention & management advice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What works is different for everyone and it takes some experimenting to find out. Rough weather, heeling and diesel fumes do accelerate seasickness if you are vulnerable. Eating light before a passage and avoiding alcohol is generally a good advice. Going down below when already not feeling too well generally turns "queasy" into "seasick" very quickly. During the first days of passage-making, overnight- or day-sailing, chicken soup, ramen noodles soda crackers, ginger snaps, tea and water are good choices. But I have on occasion also seen people eat greasy hamburgers swallowed with strong coffee survive a gale.... (I am not one of them!) My advice: don't take any chances: if you are afraid you will get seasick or have never sailed before DO take medication for the first three days. After three days the equilibirum in the inner ear seems to have adjusted to the motion of the boat and meds are often no longer needed. Here is an overview of the remedies I am aware of, plus some known side effects: Pressure wrists bands, I occasionaly meet someone who reports this to work. Ginger pieces, ginger ale, ginger snaps or ginger pills seem to have a good effect for many people but don't do the job for me.... Stugeron, Meclizine (Bonine) and Dramamine are all effective but cause some degree of drowsiness for most people. Some people do well with the patches behind the ear (Scopolamine) but for many it causes extreme drowsiness and blurred vision. There is a large array of other possible side effects. I have seen people do well with half a patch. I advice to wear surgical gloves when cutting the patch, the atropine when rubbed into the eyes causes the eyes to dilate and you won' t be able to see for a few hours! Personally, I faithfully use the famed "Paihia bombs". Besides scopolamine and antihistamine it also contains caffeine. Many people report fabulous results from this drug. However, I have met a few people who did not allow for any caffeine in their daily diets and who ended up staying awake all night.... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end of quoted advice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I cannot say enough about the amazing results the Paihia bombs have had on Nelleke's own battle against seasickness over the years. During the first few years of our cruising the California Channel Islands and Mexico, whatever she tried, it invariably fell through under very rough conditions. Then we heard some glowing reports on the Paihia bombs from other cruisers and shen decided to go through the -- then relatively lengthy -- process of ordering them from New Zealand. Now one can use Google to email a price/availability inquiry and/or order to the Paihia Pharmacy (PO Box 385, Paihia, NZ, phone 09 4027034, fax 09 4027342). Ever since Nelleke started using the bombs I now often have to implore her to please not go into the galley because conditions are simply too wild!! (most of the time she goes down anyhow and produces something nice and hot to keep us going....). Sorry, if this may sound like one of these paid (or at least commercially biased) advertisements. Neither one of us has any personal interests in this pharmacy or any of its products. Fair winds and following seas. Flying Dutchman

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Might want to try the famed "Paihia Bombs"

Many of our Project MARC volunteers have to make overnight crossings on the often rough ocean around the Vanuatu islands. Some volunteers even stay on S/V "Alvei", S/V "Augustina" or S/V "Siome" for several days or weeks. Since about 3 out of 4 report getting very seasick co-skipper Nelleke provides all of them with the following tips, based on her personal experience during sixteen years of cruising and helping seasick crew/volunteer team members: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nelleke's seasickness prevention & management advice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What works is different for everyone and it takes some experimenting to find out. Rough weather, heeling and diesel fumes do accelerate seasickness if you are vulnerable. Eating light before a passage and avoiding alcohol is generally a good advice. Going down below when already not feeling too well generally turns "queasy" into "seasick" very quickly. During the first days of passage-making, overnight- or day-sailing, chicken soup, ramen noodles soda crackers, ginger snaps, tea and water are good choices. But I have on occasion also seen people eat greasy hamburgers swallowed with strong coffee survive a gale.... (I am not one of them!) My advice: don't take any chances: if you are afraid you will get seasick or have never sailed before DO take medication for the first three days. After three days the equilibirum in the inner ear seems to have adjusted to the motion of the boat and meds are often no longer needed. Here is an overview of the remedies I am aware of, plus some known side effects: Pressure wrists bands, I occasionaly meet someone who reports this to work. Ginger pieces, ginger ale, ginger snaps or ginger pills seem to have a good effect for many people but don't do the job for me.... Stugeron, Meclizine (Bonine) and Dramamine are all effective but cause some degree of drowsiness for most people. Some people do well with the patches behind the ear (Scopolamine) but for many it causes extreme drowsiness and blurred vision. There is a large array of other possible side effects. I have seen people do well with half a patch. I advice to wear surgical gloves when cutting the patch, the atropine when rubbed into the eyes causes the eyes to dilate and you won' t be able to see for a few hours! Personally, I faithfully use the famed "Paihia bombs". Besides scopolamine and antihistamine it also contains caffeine. Many people report fabulous results from this drug. However, I have met a few people who did not allow for any caffeine in their daily diets and who ended up staying awake all night.... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end of quoted advice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I cannot say enough about the amazing results the Paihia bombs have had on Nelleke's own battle against seasickness over the years. During the first few years of our cruising the California Channel Islands and Mexico, whatever she tried, it invariably fell through under very rough conditions. Then we heard some glowing reports on the Paihia bombs from other cruisers and shen decided to go through the -- then relatively lengthy -- process of ordering them from New Zealand. Now one can use Google to email a price/availability inquiry and/or order to the Paihia Pharmacy (PO Box 385, Paihia, NZ, phone 09 4027034, fax 09 4027342). Ever since Nelleke started using the bombs I now often have to implore her to please not go into the galley because conditions are simply too wild!! (most of the time she goes down anyhow and produces something nice and hot to keep us going....). Sorry, if this may sound like one of these paid (or at least commercially biased) advertisements. Neither one of us has any personal interests in this pharmacy or any of its products. Fair winds and following seas. Flying Dutchman

Jun 3, 2004
Prindle 18, beach catamaran Chicago (North Edgebrook), IL
Mythbusters

Seasickness: Kill or Cure The MythBusters tested various seasickness cures. They wanted to see if any non-pharmaceutical, no-side-effect remedy would work. Motion sickness is caused by your brain being unable to process conflicting signals from your sense: your eyes tell you that your surroundings are still, but your inner ear and your fine muscle controls are telling you that things are moving. Test setup They built a chair modeled after NASA's seasick chair. The chair spun around at 7 rpm while the person in the chair was ordered to move their head to touch tennis balls positioned in front, behind, and to the sides. Finding the test subject They had to figure out who in the MythBusters crew was susceptible to seasickness. Adam was a sure bet because of previous seasickness during the Jaws Special. Sure enough, Adam got quesy within 3 and half minutes on the chair. After a half an hour in the chair, Jamie was still fine. Kari and Tory were both fine as well. Grant became the final test subject. He lasted longer than Adam, but he got sick as well. Remedy Testing Homoepathic tongue tingler. They used a unnamed spray that you squirt under the tongue as often as needed. Grant was sick within 10 minutes and vomited some small chunks. Adam was sick within 4 minutes. Wrist straps:They wore little gray wristbands that are 'Barry Manilow's choice.' Adam was sick within 90 seconds. Grant got sick as well. They've gotten pretty quick with bringing a bucket to Grant. *Ginger pills: It worked! Adam and Grant were both fine. Small shocks on the P6 Accupunture point (on the wrist): Both Adam and Grant got sick. Placebo: They told Grant and Adam they were getting an over-the-counter pharmaceutical remedy, but they actually gave them vitamins. Adam's reponse: "I hate this [bleeping] chair" after three and a half minutes. Grant: "This is among the most effective, if not the most effective." Over-the-counter pharmaceutical drug: Worked on Adam and Grant, but it made them both a little loopy. Only thing that worked without any side effects was the ginger pill. Ginger pills: plausible

Jun 3, 2004
Mythbusters

Seasickness: Kill or Cure The MythBusters tested various seasickness cures. They wanted to see if any non-pharmaceutical, no-side-effect remedy would work. Motion sickness is caused by your brain being unable to process conflicting signals from your sense: your eyes tell you that your surroundings are still, but your inner ear and your fine muscle controls are telling you that things are moving. Test setup They built a chair modeled after NASA's seasick chair. The chair spun around at 7 rpm while the person in the chair was ordered to move their head to touch tennis balls positioned in front, behind, and to the sides. Finding the test subject They had to figure out who in the MythBusters crew was susceptible to seasickness. Adam was a sure bet because of previous seasickness during the Jaws Special. Sure enough, Adam got quesy within 3 and half minutes on the chair. After a half an hour in the chair, Jamie was still fine. Kari and Tory were both fine as well. Grant became the final test subject. He lasted longer than Adam, but he got sick as well. Remedy Testing Homoepathic tongue tingler. They used a unnamed spray that you squirt under the tongue as often as needed. Grant was sick within 10 minutes and vomited some small chunks. Adam was sick within 4 minutes. Wrist straps:They wore little gray wristbands that are 'Barry Manilow's choice.' Adam was sick within 90 seconds. Grant got sick as well. They've gotten pretty quick with bringing a bucket to Grant. *Ginger pills: It worked! Adam and Grant were both fine. Small shocks on the P6 Accupunture point (on the wrist): Both Adam and Grant got sick. Placebo: They told Grant and Adam they were getting an over-the-counter pharmaceutical remedy, but they actually gave them vitamins. Adam's reponse: "I hate this [bleeping] chair" after three and a half minutes. Grant: "This is among the most effective, if not the most effective." Over-the-counter pharmaceutical drug: Worked on Adam and Grant, but it made them both a little loopy. Only thing that worked without any side effects was the ginger pill. Ginger pills: plausible

Jun 3, 2004
Mythbusters

Jun 3, 2004
Mythbusters

Nov 27, 2005
- - West Des Moines, Iowa
ShelliO, same thing happened to me !

I went on a cruise once too and couldn't remember a thing ! The only thing different was I didn't take Transcoplamoinel or any seasickness remedy, but I did drink alot :D They told me I had fun

Nov 27, 2005

I went on a cruise once too and couldn't remember a thing ! The only thing different was I didn't take Transcoplamoinel or any seasickness remedy, but I did drink alot :D They told me I had fun

Nov 27, 2005

Nov 27, 2005

C

Capt Ron;-)

Adam & 'Grant'

That is over the top science doncha think? Get Adam & Grant, with or without a university grant, strap them down, record the data and experiment is over? Who on Gods green earth could possibly argue the absolute rewards of the Adam & Grant experiment? Reminds one of the Michaelson/Morely project. Incredulous that they found such perfect specimens right there, available in their crew...;-) Right on and a well done! lol... Cannot wait for they're published results in Scientific American, or perhaps Popular Science? Haaaa...

C

Capt Ron;-)

Adam & 'Grant'

That is over the top science doncha think? Get Adam & Grant, with or without a university grant, strap them down, record the data and experiment is over? Who on Gods green earth could possibly argue the absolute rewards of the Adam & Grant experiment? Reminds one of the Michaelson/Morely project. Incredulous that they found such perfect specimens right there, available in their crew...;-) Right on and a well done! lol... Cannot wait for they're published results in Scientific American, or perhaps Popular Science? Haaaa...

C

Capt Ron;-)

Adam & 'Grant'

C

Capt Ron;-)

Adam & 'Grant'

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Michaelson/Morely ???

I hope you weren't around to witness that one! I can't imagine what parallel you would draw between them and Mythbusters. The show is actually very interesting and decent pop-science, in a tongue and cheek sort a way. They aren't claiming to be ready for peer reviewed journals; after all, it is a television show. Maybe they could submit some of their work in The Journal of Irreproducible Results.

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Michaelson/Morely ???

I hope you weren't around to witness that one! I can't imagine what parallel you would draw between them and Mythbusters. The show is actually very interesting and decent pop-science, in a tongue and cheek sort a way. They aren't claiming to be ready for peer reviewed journals; after all, it is a television show. Maybe they could submit some of their work in The Journal of Irreproducible Results.

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Michaelson/Morely ???

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Michaelson/Morely ???

Jun 3, 2004
Mythbusters/Placebo

My son, the one who gets seasick and now eats ginger snaps, is a HUGE Mythbusters fan. If nothing else in his young mind, their test brings huge credibility to the ginger snap theory. The show is really great, without fail, they hurl, crush or blow (launching the hot water tank was spectacular, a hurl and a blow all at once) up something to prove/debunk the myth, pure testosterone. And then there's Kari...

Jun 3, 2004
Mythbusters/Placebo

My son, the one who gets seasick and now eats ginger snaps, is a HUGE Mythbusters fan. If nothing else in his young mind, their test brings huge credibility to the ginger snap theory. The show is really great, without fail, they hurl, crush or blow (launching the hot water tank was spectacular, a hurl and a blow all at once) up something to prove/debunk the myth, pure testosterone. And then there's Kari...

Status
Not open for further replies.