sea sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Ginger

Dropping dead would certainly take care of the symptoms, but it wouldn't be my first choice. We are lucky to have had few problems. We carry Ginger Snaps and MotionEaze drops for guests. I don't know why the MotionEaze works, but apparently it's very good. The active ingredients all seem to be natural, herbal remedies and it's applied behind your ear. It seems to be very effective too.

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Ginger

Dropping dead would certainly take care of the symptoms, but it wouldn't be my first choice. We are lucky to have had few problems. We carry Ginger Snaps and MotionEaze drops for guests. I don't know why the MotionEaze works, but apparently it's very good. The active ingredients all seem to be natural, herbal remedies and it's applied behind your ear. It seems to be very effective too.

A

Arturo

Relief Band

I just bought two relief band devices for seasickness on Ebay. They are also sold for women who are suffering morning sickness. I tried to buy one and the guy backed out on the deal. Said his inventory was stolen so I bought one from another source then the first guy came through and I ended up with two. Research them on the net, I cannot personally vouch for them as I have never felt sick and needed to use one. But I have only had them a few weeks. Maybe I will start chumming and need it someday. Maybe I will drink some colt 45 than try one out. I really carry it in case a guest turns green. If you decide you want to go that route I will sell one for what I paid. It was $125 bucks. American money. Regards

A

Arturo

Relief Band

I just bought two relief band devices for seasickness on Ebay. They are also sold for women who are suffering morning sickness. I tried to buy one and the guy backed out on the deal. Said his inventory was stolen so I bought one from another source then the first guy came through and I ended up with two. Research them on the net, I cannot personally vouch for them as I have never felt sick and needed to use one. But I have only had them a few weeks. Maybe I will start chumming and need it someday. Maybe I will drink some colt 45 than try one out. I really carry it in case a guest turns green. If you decide you want to go that route I will sell one for what I paid. It was $125 bucks. American money. Regards

A

Arturo

Relief Band

A

Arturo

Relief Band

C

Capt Ron;-)

American Money?

Not worth much these days...;-) I do few deliveries anylonger, but get talked into it now & then. So, did one six months ago, Jerry, a friend and damn good seaman came along. He's an ex-navy navigation officer, and has done a hundred + trips with me on deliveries; he gets sea sick on every one! Jerry has tried everything, but always throws up the first few hours then is done, unless we get into heavy weather. Well he had just bought one of the newest bands, has an electric shock that you can adjust all the way up to San Quentin type of jotage. At least that's how in felt when I tried it. This electric band WORKS! Since then I have heard many rave on it, the only device I know of that has such support.

C

Capt Ron;-)

American Money?

Not worth much these days...;-) I do few deliveries anylonger, but get talked into it now & then. So, did one six months ago, Jerry, a friend and damn good seaman came along. He's an ex-navy navigation officer, and has done a hundred + trips with me on deliveries; he gets sea sick on every one! Jerry has tried everything, but always throws up the first few hours then is done, unless we get into heavy weather. Well he had just bought one of the newest bands, has an electric shock that you can adjust all the way up to San Quentin type of jotage. At least that's how in felt when I tried it. This electric band WORKS! Since then I have heard many rave on it, the only device I know of that has such support.

C

Capt Ron;-)

American Money?

C

Capt Ron;-)

American Money?

Jun 3, 2004
Prindle 18, beach catamaran Chicago (North Edgebrook), IL
Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps

My boy (6 years old) through up 3 out of 3 trips then we started feeding him Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps on the way to the harbor. Since the ginger snap plan he has not thrown up again in many, many sails. They taste really good too.

Jun 3, 2004

My boy (6 years old) through up 3 out of 3 trips then we started feeding him Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps on the way to the harbor. Since the ginger snap plan he has not thrown up again in many, many sails. They taste really good too.

Jun 3, 2004

Jun 3, 2004

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
One old salt said of ginger snaps " they taste as

good coming back up as they do goin down. ;)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Might want to try the famed "Paihia Bombs"

Many of our Project MARC volunteers have to make overnight crossings on the often rough ocean around the Vanuatu islands. Some volunteers even stay on S/V "Alvei", S/V "Augustina" or S/V "Siome" for several days or weeks. Since about 3 out of 4 report getting very seasick co-skipper Nelleke provides all of them with the following tips, based on her personal experience during sixteen years of cruising and helping seasick crew/volunteer team members: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nelleke's seasickness prevention & management advice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What works is different for everyone and it takes some experimenting to find out. Rough weather, heeling and diesel fumes do accelerate seasickness if you are vulnerable. Eating light before a passage and avoiding alcohol is generally a good advice. Going down below when already not feeling too well generally turns "queasy" into "seasick" very quickly. During the first days of passage-making, overnight- or day-sailing, chicken soup, ramen noodles soda crackers, ginger snaps, tea and water are good choices. But I have on occasion also seen people eat greasy hamburgers swallowed with strong coffee survive a gale.... (I am not one of them!) My advice: don't take any chances: if you are afraid you will get seasick or have never sailed before DO take medication for the first three days. After three days the equilibirum in the inner ear seems to have adjusted to the motion of the boat and meds are often no longer needed. Here is an overview of the remedies I am aware of, plus some known side effects: Pressure wrists bands, I occasionaly meet someone who reports this to work. Ginger pieces, ginger ale, ginger snaps or ginger pills seem to have a good effect for many people but don't do the job for me.... Stugeron, Meclizine (Bonine) and Dramamine are all effective but cause some degree of drowsiness for most people. Some people do well with the patches behind the ear (Scopolamine) but for many it causes extreme drowsiness and blurred vision. There is a large array of other possible side effects. I have seen people do well with half a patch. I advice to wear surgical gloves when cutting the patch, the atropine when rubbed into the eyes causes the eyes to dilate and you won' t be able to see for a few hours! Personally, I faithfully use the famed "Paihia bombs". Besides scopolamine and antihistamine it also contains caffeine. Many people report fabulous results from this drug. However, I have met a few people who did not allow for any caffeine in their daily diets and who ended up staying awake all night.... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end of quoted advice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I cannot say enough about the amazing results the Paihia bombs have had on Nelleke's own battle against seasickness over the years. During the first few years of our cruising the California Channel Islands and Mexico, whatever she tried, it invariably fell through under very rough conditions. Then we heard some glowing reports on the Paihia bombs from other cruisers and shen decided to go through the -- then relatively lengthy -- process of ordering them from New Zealand. Now one can use Google to email a price/availability inquiry and/or order to the Paihia Pharmacy (PO Box 385, Paihia, NZ, phone 09 4027034, fax 09 4027342). Ever since Nelleke started using the bombs I now often have to implore her to please not go into the galley because conditions are simply too wild!! (most of the time she goes down anyhow and produces something nice and hot to keep us going....). Sorry, if this may sound like one of these paid (or at least commercially biased) advertisements. Neither one of us has any personal interests in this pharmacy or any of its products. Fair winds and following seas. Flying Dutchman

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Might want to try the famed "Paihia Bombs"

Many of our Project MARC volunteers have to make overnight crossings on the often rough ocean around the Vanuatu islands. Some volunteers even stay on S/V "Alvei", S/V "Augustina" or S/V "Siome" for several days or weeks. Since about 3 out of 4 report getting very seasick co-skipper Nelleke provides all of them with the following tips, based on her personal experience during sixteen years of cruising and helping seasick crew/volunteer team members: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nelleke's seasickness prevention & management advice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What works is different for everyone and it takes some experimenting to find out. Rough weather, heeling and diesel fumes do accelerate seasickness if you are vulnerable. Eating light before a passage and avoiding alcohol is generally a good advice. Going down below when already not feeling too well generally turns "queasy" into "seasick" very quickly. During the first days of passage-making, overnight- or day-sailing, chicken soup, ramen noodles soda crackers, ginger snaps, tea and water are good choices. But I have on occasion also seen people eat greasy hamburgers swallowed with strong coffee survive a gale.... (I am not one of them!) My advice: don't take any chances: if you are afraid you will get seasick or have never sailed before DO take medication for the first three days. After three days the equilibirum in the inner ear seems to have adjusted to the motion of the boat and meds are often no longer needed. Here is an overview of the remedies I am aware of, plus some known side effects: Pressure wrists bands, I occasionaly meet someone who reports this to work. Ginger pieces, ginger ale, ginger snaps or ginger pills seem to have a good effect for many people but don't do the job for me.... Stugeron, Meclizine (Bonine) and Dramamine are all effective but cause some degree of drowsiness for most people. Some people do well with the patches behind the ear (Scopolamine) but for many it causes extreme drowsiness and blurred vision. There is a large array of other possible side effects. I have seen people do well with half a patch. I advice to wear surgical gloves when cutting the patch, the atropine when rubbed into the eyes causes the eyes to dilate and you won' t be able to see for a few hours! Personally, I faithfully use the famed "Paihia bombs". Besides scopolamine and antihistamine it also contains caffeine. Many people report fabulous results from this drug. However, I have met a few people who did not allow for any caffeine in their daily diets and who ended up staying awake all night.... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end of quoted advice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I cannot say enough about the amazing results the Paihia bombs have had on Nelleke's own battle against seasickness over the years. During the first few years of our cruising the California Channel Islands and Mexico, whatever she tried, it invariably fell through under very rough conditions. Then we heard some glowing reports on the Paihia bombs from other cruisers and shen decided to go through the -- then relatively lengthy -- process of ordering them from New Zealand. Now one can use Google to email a price/availability inquiry and/or order to the Paihia Pharmacy (PO Box 385, Paihia, NZ, phone 09 4027034, fax 09 4027342). Ever since Nelleke started using the bombs I now often have to implore her to please not go into the galley because conditions are simply too wild!! (most of the time she goes down anyhow and produces something nice and hot to keep us going....). Sorry, if this may sound like one of these paid (or at least commercially biased) advertisements. Neither one of us has any personal interests in this pharmacy or any of its products. Fair winds and following seas. Flying Dutchman

Status
Not open for further replies.