Salish Sea sailing?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Yep brought the plastic one. I just throw it on the fwd deck. We're almost back to Roche. We left Stu anchored in Anette Inlet.
We bought the same kayaks. Carrying on the fore deck for now. Lower to the water and climb in from our transom. We’ve been going farther and farther with them, to the point that we never used our inflatable dinghy or either of the two motors that I’m trying to decide between (Lehr 2.5 and an EP Carry, electric) on our three week trip.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Friend of mine has the EP and really likes it. Especially since he’s 79. Two friends having issues with Lehr..

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
We had a great dinner last in Terry's beautiful boat. Thanks Terry.
You are most welcome, Ken and Joann. So glad we met and were able to spend some time together. Really enjoyed our visit in such a wonderful anchorage.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Aaron's "fleet" at Friday Harbor
Terry, Colin & Ken at Terry's for dinner
Mark visiting
Our "fleet"
Amazing Grace at Poets Cove
Ken showing how Stu cooks and dueling handhelds

sIMG_20190823_141701 (Mobile).jpgIMG_20190824_185807 (Mobile).jpgIMG_20190825_144519 (Mobile).jpgIMG_20190825_183916 (Mobile).jpgIMG_20190826_193930 (Mobile).jpgIMG_20190827_182944 (Mobile).jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The “three amigos” look pretty worn out. Long day sailing, falling asleep waiting for dinner, or overwhelmed by the stiff celebration drinks after arrival.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The “three amigos” look pretty worn out. Long day sailing, falling asleep waiting for dinner, or overwhelmed by the stiff celebration drinks after arrival.
Actually, John, "None of the above." :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
We had a grueling 23 minute sail across San Juan Channel from Friday Harbor to Parks Bay. It was before dinner, but everybody stayed awake. No stiff drinks until after dinner, and that was only for Colin with some what-we-were-told well aged and tasteful malt of some kind.

Guess you should have been there. Nobody would have believed we actually behaved ourselves. ;)

It might have had something to do with our thoughtfulness of having to get back into the dinghies to get home with only a single step ladder from the deck of the aircraft carrier. :cool:

Dec 25, 2000
No stiff drinks until after dinner, and that was only for Colin with some what-we-were-told well aged and tasteful malt of some kind.
Hi Stu, so glad we were finally able to meet and enjoy a dinner together. Must do it again real soon. Thank you again for the CNG tank. Most handy.

That tasteful malt was a Canadian brand called Black Velvet. Very tasty and smooth.

Back home now enjoying one of our granddaughters for this week from Winatchee. First day of school is 9/4. Looking forward to it. Same route and bus. Should be a hoot.

Dec 25, 2000
Tossed out a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island for next season and got no resistance from what used to be AMEE flotilla. Seems to now have evolved to SAFE (Shelter Bay, Anacortes, Friday Harbor, Everett), or something like that.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Fun, but I'm pretty sure we won't have thatuch time.

We spent se time watching Orca (Killer) whales. Then we tied up at James Island for the night.

The last photo is the East end of Decatur Iland. Many of these islands have nice trails that lead to some great views without a lot of effort.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Granddaughter visiting for the week. She wants to go out on grandpa's boat, so another opportunity to spend some water time. Current plan is to drive to the boat tonight or in the morning. Follow the ebb out the south channel entrance and over to either Hope (four mooring balls) or Skagit (two mooring balls) Island for a couple of days. If no room at the inn, then over to Cornet Bay and drop anchor.

Next weekend is the Mukilteo Festival, so need to stay home for that. Always a lot of fun with arts and crafts and a wonderful fireworks display.

Oct 22, 2014
I am headed to the boat on the 5th. Plan for 5 days on the water. Share your location.

Terry, we should discuss this idea. It is on my bucket list. Will need to develop a plan. Suspect it could be a 30 day trip. What are your thoughts?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I am headed to the boat on the 5th. Plan for 5 days on the water. Share your location.

Terry, we should discuss this idea. It is on my bucket list. Will need to develop a plan. Suspect it could be a 30 day trip. What are your thoughts?
It may take over 30 days. It looks like just over 500 miles plus any side trips. That approaches 20 miles a day. Still an epic adventure.

The south side has hidey holes but along the Streights of Juan De Fuca there is one long stretch with no place to hide. That one would be a start early because if the afternoon blow in the summer.

Dogonit now you've got me thinking about it.

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
Oh Boy.. It has been on my mind for a couple of years now. I really enjoyed our visit to @Michael Davis's home. He had a large relief map of the Island with his 2018 trip, plotted.

I plotted the round the island distance at 750 NM. If it was a race doing 25-35 miles a day, 5-6 hours travel a day, maintaining a 6 kt per hour pace. No weather issues. You could make it in 21-28 days. This would be a let's getup and go every morning trip plan. Not what I had in mind. I am more in the model of 45-60 days. I have read many of the blogs and they concur that such a pace would be easy to do.

A few of the blogs talk about different crews joining them as the boat proceeds around the island. This leaves the impression that you could break the trip up, securing the boat in an anchorage if needed and dash home during the adventure.

I think Michael had a breakdown on the west coast and had to take just such action.

You are correct the trip from Victoria to Barkely Sound is a bit of a stretch. While there are places to escape into shoudl the weather turn foul they are tricky entrances.

The trip up the inside passage and down the west side is the favored route and how I am planning to make the trip the first time.

I have been chatting with @LeslieTroyer about the idea. I think Terry is in if we can use the summer as a time frame.

Maybe this has the makings of a first SBO group adventure...

Oct 22, 2014
OK..
I broke out the charts..Canadian Hydrographic Service charts printed in both English and Canadian French.

Victoria around the island and back to Victoria is charted at 543 nm.

Add another 125nm to get to Victoria from Everett and a few side trips up into the fjords on the west side you easily get to 750 or more NM.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
@jssailem , the first time I went around the island with my dad we did it in 21 days. Not the recommended way. Last year Bev and I took 5 1/2 months to do it. I would recommend taking as much time as possible. It’s certainly worth the time to do it right.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
You are correct the trip from Victoria to Barkely Sound is a bit of a stretch. Maybe this has the makings of a first SBO group adventure...
We always break the Barkley Sound to Victoria run with a night at Port Renfrew. It’s about the halfway point and has a good marina.
SBO Group adventure!!??!:)

Oct 22, 2014
Michael it can be you and me. You the experience me the mouthpiece.

I put the new forward hatch on just to resolve one more, in my opinion, weakness to my boats ocean worthiness. I am getting closer to the day. I think my next run will be out to. Neah Bay to give her that ocean test.

While I know there are numerous places along to way to hide from the weather, getting this old boat as sound as she can be has been my mission.