Salish Sea sailing?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
A new sight for me: saw a small tri sail backwards for 100 yards or so out of the Anchorage. The water was glassy, but it was moving pretty fast and clearly under sail. His motor was even tilted up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stew catching Yellow Jackets? Spice for his dinner meal?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Completely out of sync with everyone. Left early, already home. Next time, a better data plan and will continue to check the forums... the pic's are from Ganges and Herring Bay, Ruxton Isl..

Attachments

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Thanks for the pics. We are actually later than usual for us. Commitments seem to get in the way.

Ken

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Had a great visit with Ken and Stu at Fossil Bay. Scraped bottom getting out this morning and had a great wing/wing run into Anacortes.

Oct 22, 2014
Ken
Plastic kayak? Where do you carry the kayak while cruising? Guess jumping off the stern into the kayak was a bad idea.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Yep brought the plastic one. I just throw it on the fwd deck. We're almost back to Roche. We left Stu anchored in Anette Inlet.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes. Ken chooses to visit the places when they are warm and inviting.... I got to learn some of his thinking.

Of course sitting in side Mahalo sipping Woodford Bourbon was pretty special after our Georgia Strait crossing, and missing the Ferry in the mist....

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Tied up at Friday Harbor for the night. Leaving Roche, Spiden Channel currents had us down to half a knot over ground with RPMs set for 6.5. we could have fixed that by leaving at 4am but chose to go later. Fog also was a bit thick and thicker as we approached Friday Harbor. We decided to stay 2 nights because slips are hard to get over Labor day weekend and we are hoping the fog will clear. We don't have radar. The second picture is a large Washington State ferry leaving Friday Harbor. We stay clear of ferry Lanes and shipping Lanes in this stuff.

Attachments

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Fog also was a bit thick and thicker as we approached Friday Harbor.
Rosario was like pea soup at 09:30 this morning. Vis less than 800 yds. But that didn't slow some power boaters down. More than a couple at 15 kts+ without AIS showed up at less than 0.5 nm on radar. A 154' Perini Navi ketch (The Aquarius) flying the Maltese flag decided not to play and anchored off Thatcher Pass behind Armitage Island. We saw it in the Broughtons earlier this summer.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I stayed another night at (the wonderful anchorage that shall remain a secret so it doesn't get too crowded).

Back in my slip at 1600. Saw whales in Swanson Channel just south of the Ganges entrance, Beaver Point. Even the Otter Bay ferry diverted course to avoid them. And given the choice, chose to NOT aim right at me.

"Ferry Magnet" Stu did manage to get four or five in sight at one time for JoAnn and Ken, and one docked just as we pulled into Otter Bay the other day.

I did get to sail from Otter Bay to anchorage-secret, but looked back and found my speed had dropped because I'd picked up a big wad of kelp. It's truly catching, since Ken did it just the day before. Thanks to him, I knew what to look for, and how to get it off.

Maybe it chased me, 'cuz it was on my anchor when I picked it up this morning, along with 30 feet of 9/16" line.

Great cruise, super to meet Mark again, Terry for the first ever (finally:)), and Colin again from our July Cruise with Mahalo, and to get to cruise again with K&J.

Pictures to follow.
I'm advised I take too many. Hmm, maybe they're right...