Sailing Question

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
It sounds to me like you simply had to much sail up, trimmed in too tight. In small boats and large if you are over powered - the sails will push the boat around downwind. Moving the traveler out will give more control and less heel. Let out the genny. Having a fixed compass on the boat will help a lot in sailing to a steady course. When sailing to the wind, keep steering the boat and trimming the sails.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Two suggestions: 1) Get a copy of the instructions for the Windex and read them carefully. It can be read accurately for 2 degrees, which is pretty good. They are rarely straight even if it was when the mast was stepped. 2) Get a compass installed and learn to read it for defining close hauled, to identity wind directional shifts (Lifts vs. knocks) and to navigate.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Paul, I disagree ... the OP has not described an over-powered situation. Besides, most small boats will round-up when over-powered. I've never experienced lee helm even when over-powered with a 150 genny, reefed main, and masthead rig. Weather helm is the only reaction I would expect if the OP was over-powered. In fact it is just wrong to suggest that most boats will be pushed downwind when over-canvassed. Just the opposite is the normal response ... rounding into the wind (the size of the genny isn't going to change that, and I doubt the OP has a too-large genny to begin with).

Unless, his swing keel was mostly up instead of down. If the keel was all the way up, he would experience leeward drifting and possibly the bow being pushed to leeward. That kind of sounds like his description.

Oct 26, 2008
Well, most of it just isn't adding up. But he was pretty clear in the original post that being over-powered was not the problem. He said they weren't heeling and the rudder was fully submerged in the water. I can only conclude that his problem wasn't a result of either lee helm or weather helm. At first, it sounded like he wasn't sailing particularly close to the wind (possibly on a reach), but later he described trying to sail at about 40 degrees off the wind, with close-hauled sails. That might put him in irons (in a MacGregor) if he lost all momentum. I think the position of the keel may also be a factor ... that wasn't described.

I have a friend with a Macgregor 21 and his boat won't sail within 10 degrees of my boat, and my boat can't sail any closer than 40 degrees off the wind, at best, probably more like 50 when sailing alongside him to stay reasonably on the same course. I normally sail with my tacks at about 100 to 110 degrees apart just to avoid fighting every wind shift and I know his boat can't come close to tacking at those angles.

I'm guessing that the problem is a combination of the keel position and attempting to sail in irons.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This problem reminds me of one of my favorite movies quotes:

Hercule Poirot: 'There are too many clues in this room.'

I think we have loaded the poster up with some good ideas. I'd like to hear back from him after he has a chance to try some of this, and see what happens.

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
Correct - I have a 400lb cast iron keel and it was fully extended. I had double-checked it earlier in the day to make certain that I had let it out to the point where the cable went slack - and then just took up enough slack to make it slightly taut.

Based on Scott's experience with a V21, it seems likely that the boat doesn't sail as close to the wind as I thought it would and I think therein lies a big part of my issue. I'm successfully sailing around the lake; it was only a few minutes here and there that really made me scratch my head and wonder what I was doing wrong. The sail wasn't really luffing like it would if I was pointed into the wind and that's what really threw me.

I'm sure an experienced sailor could have made the boat sail at a better angle to the wind than I ultimately did - but we got where we were going - eventually (and with an undesired tack mixed in for good measure).

I intend to get out again relatively soon and will report back - if you're interested.

Jan 6, 2010
Scott,

Good take on this. Yea, there was never any mention of true/or apparent wind readings.
I do know that inside a 45° close haul point, I start to depower. My C30 has a beamy bathtub shaped hull & I do find that a close reach in mostly light to medium winds work best in upwind performance. Add to this a 155 ginney, and trying to cheat without losing speed, a different sail plan must be added for air flow between headsail & main in what I call pressure flow buildup.

All sail plans & hull designs differ in their performance styles. I do know in lighter winds, I can cheat the boom over center and setting the right pocket/trim, I can cheat to keep course & speed. We've all had to crab upwind & if we are flying sideways, certain sets work, others won't.

On my boat, I can cheat upwind by setting the main as described above & then tighten up the headsail (sometimes having to adjust the fairlead) to create a narrower gap (choke point) at the aft 1/3 portion of the two sails thus to creating a air compression between the lee of the main and the pressure (windward) side of the head.

So, in these conditions as described, I can cheat inside of 45° while not losing SOG. Of course the sail sets need to change depending on wind, course & sea conditions but, this works best for my boat in light to medium conditions. Like I said, all boats/sail plans are created different. You obviously have it down to a science.....your my kind of boater pal.

CR

Oct 26, 2008
Flamingo, I wouldn't say I had a lot of experience with a MacGregor, but I do have experience in finding that I can't point as high as I think I ought to! I'm often pretty frustrated when I find that I can't point as high as the Stars, Thistles, and E-Scows that normally go blowing by me in just about any wind condition when I find myself in the middle of one of the LHYC race venues.

Honestly, I'm still pretty baffled by what you describe ... it sounds like lee helm, but even that shouldn't prevent you from being able to steer your boat upwind and thru the wind to tack to the other side, especially in normal conditions where you are not over-powered. If you were in irons, you would definitely recognize it by the luffing sails.
It sounds like you had your keel fully down, where it should be when sailing upwind.

The only thing I can think of is that you may have been sailing too close to the wind and gradually losing momentum to the point where only by easing the sheets to the genny, where you able to fall off enough to gain some momentum back again and start steering upwind again.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Flamingo, I wouldn't say I had a lot of experience with a MacGregor, but I do have experience in finding that I can't point as high as I think I ought to! I'm often pretty frustrated when I find that I can't point as high as the Stars, Thistles, and E-Scows that normally go blowing by me in just about any wind condition when I find myself in the middle of one of the LHYC race venues.

Honestly, I'm still pretty baffled by what you describe ... it sounds like lee helm, but even that shouldn't prevent you from being able to steer your boat upwind and thru the wind to tack to the other side, especially in normal conditions where you are not over-powered. If you were in irons, you would definitely recognize it by the luffing sails.
It sounds like you had your keel fully down, where it should be when sailing upwind.

The only thing I can think of is that you may have been sailing too close to the wind and gradually losing momentum to the point where only by easing the sheets to the genny, where you able to fall off enough to gain some momentum back again and start steering upwind again.

I think Scott pretty much nailed it here.

What Flamingo describes sound just like what happens when I put our venture in chains.

It falls off with no rudder control until it makes headway and rudder control is regained. It sort of feels like the bow is being forced off. Sometimes it ends up wearing around if I wasn't paying attention close enough.

Great info in this thread - Good Job getting them going Flamingo!

Nov 17, 2013
I think Scott pretty much nailed it here.

What Flamingo describes sound just like what happens when I put our venture in chains.

It falls off with no rudder control until it makes headway and rudder control is regained. It sort of feels like the bow is being forced off. Sometimes it ends up wearing around if I wasn't paying attention close enough.

Great info in this thread - Good Job getting them going Flamingo!
Bingo.

I ended up "wearing around" twice because I didn't let out the genoa sheets.

As a rookie/novice, I thought I had more ability to sail toward the wind because I still had a lot of genoa sheet left....sort of like my wife with the checkbook - we must still have money since we still have checks!

Now I have a better understanding that I am looking at around 50 degrees to the wind instead of 40. I was pretty sure I knew where the wind was and where my boat was - but it wasn't working when I thought it should and it wasn't reacting the way I thought it would if I was in irons. Is it possible that I took most of the luff out of the sale by having it sheeted in close?

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Bingo.

As a rookie/novice, I thought I had more ability to sail toward the wind because I still had a lot of genoa sheet left....sort of like my wife with the checkbook - we must still have money since we still have checks!

Now I have a better understanding that I am looking at around 50 degrees to the wind instead of 40. I was pretty sure I knew where the wind was and where my boat was - but it wasn't working when I thought it should and it wasn't reacting the way I thought it would if I was in irons. Is it possible that I took most of the luff out of the sale by having it sheeted in close?

Got to be sure to pay attention when the boat unintentionally wears because usually an unintentional Gybe also occurs.

You are probably right on the edge of luffing when it happens and by that time the boat has stalled. Sort of like not having enough speed into a tack and blowing it. The head of the boat can fall off fast and far. Easing the main and minding the rudder helps me fall to broad reach, then I can gain speed and head up again.

One thing I've learned - wind be tricky.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Bingo.

And then there are those light air days when the jet ski and power boaters who cross in front of your bow... waving and yelling things like... "you have such a pretty boat".... as their bow wake hits the front of your bow and turns you 90 deg. .... and just about the time you get things sorted out and start making headway.... along comes another.... :bang:

Nov 17, 2013
And then there are those light air days when the jet ski and power boaters who cross in front of your bow... waving and yelling things like... "you have such a pretty boat".... as their bow wake hits the front of your bow and turns you 90 deg. .... and just about the time you get things sorted out and start making headway.... along comes another.... :bang:
My boat is well "used" and "has a lot of character". I suspect that it's only pretty to me.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My boat is well "used" and "has a lot of character". I suspect that it's only pretty to me.
Hey Flamingo....

This is a '73 Mac21 after a coat of rustoleum's "sail blue" (oil based in a can... not spray). It was my first "pocket cruiser".

Wash off the wax with detergent, then two hours with an orbital sander... pressure wash and let dry ...and then roll and tip ... six hours later...

Roll and tip is easy... if you want to try it and need some info, PM me off list. I can type you through it.

Great thing about an old Mac is... well you can't really hurt it none now can you... ;)

Attachments

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
The area between the jib and the main is called the slot.

Mac's are very sensitive to mast rake and forestay tension. If the forestay flops around, you can't point. Also, as fractional rigs they don't point well with a 135 or 150 genoa, as you can't close the slot (as it is outboard the stays/lifelines).

Your rudder is also probably unbalanced...try moving the lower tip aft just an inch or two. If that helps, you need re-mount the rudder on the tiller a bit mire forward.

Google "barber hauling" so you understand how to work a 90 to 100 jib.

Just some thoughts from a Mac owner. PM me if you need more help.

Jeff

Nov 17, 2013
The area between the jib and the main is called the slot.

Mac's are very sensitive to mast rake and forestay tension. If the forestay flops around, you can't point. Also, as fractional rigs they don't point well with a 135 or 150 genoa, as you can't close the slot (as it is outboard the stays/lifelines).

Your rudder is also probably unbalanced...try moving the lower tip aft just an inch or two. If that helps, you need re-mount the rudder on the tiller a bit mire forward.

Google "barber hauling" so you understand how to work a 90 to 100 jib.

Just some thoughts from a Mac owner. PM me if you need more help.

Jeff
I have 2 forestays on my boat. One is at the very front of the bow and the second is a couple feet aft of the first. I have been setting the genoa on the front forestay. I have a jib - but I've never actually put it up. Generally, winds have been pretty light here, so I thought I needed the larger sail. The dual forestay set up is a bit of a pain because it is necessary to pull the foresail between the front stay and the second stay when tacking/gybing. I put up a pvc pipe on the aft forestay so that the genoa doesn't chafe on the aft forestay and so that the genoa comes across more smoothly.

My boat has the ability to run a cutter rig - but the last thing I need right now is to worry about 2 foresails when I tack or gybe. One is enough. Also, the more aft of the two forestays is attached about 3/4 of the way up the mast - so it would be more of a fractional rig setting than the front forestay which is attached at the masthead.

Are you suggesting that I use the jib instead of the genoa?

Oct 26, 2008
Look up the specifications for MacGregor 21 on Sailboatdata and you will find a lot of info about your boat that is useful. As the specifications show a masthead rig, like you describe, I would guess that the 2nd forestay was somebodies idea of an improvement for your boat! I think it would make life easier when you are tacking if you simply removed that stay.

It might have been useful to somebody, but you will probably like to keep it simpler. OTOH, if you have a sail with the right luff length for the shorter stay, maybe give it a try, but my guess would be that the boat wouldn't be balanced quite correctly. If the boat wasn't designed as a cutter rig, adding the stay might not be the best idea. I don't think it would hurt to remove it.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=138