sailing aeolus - 1966 caravelle yawl

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Jon, great pics of the boat, family and friends. Thanks for sharing these.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
my oldest daughter lives 3 miles down the road on bay shore drive in sturge. 3 grandkids, 10, 7, 3. i gave her my stash 1969 cal 20 in top condition. i made a mooring out of a 100 year old parlor steam radiator that i had for just such a purpose. 100 ft of heavy chain, mooring float, bridle, and pickup buoy. placed it 50 yards off her beach. now every time they look out the window they know they can go sailing today. i took the new crew out three days in a row and ran them all through many drills so to get their sea legs ready and off they went for the summer.
many reports from friends came in that the young mother with little kids was seen sailing about the bay. spinnaker flying too. you got to work those kids. gave them a lung powered horn to blow salutes at every passer by. there is an engine well but i gave them no engine. i did give them a paddle. i gave them a bean bag chair for down below cause as you all may well know the three year old naps a lot with the easy motion of sailing.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
the top commercial tug captain and tug company owner and friend out of sturgeon bay died when his workboat swamped in heavy weather up in Duluth this fall. he and the crew of two had life jackets on but only the crew made it ashore in the very cold water. he was 69. the crew were about 50 each. he was a really nice guy to boot. very sad.

May 25, 2012
at the house in sturge i have the best view of the bay. a few weeks ago i watched the 1,000 footer indiana harbor come in the bay, spin around and back into town to the ship yard. the next morning a get a call from an old sailor buddy from back in the day. he's the captain of the indian harbor. for two days i pick him up in the morning and we spend all day together. i showed him all over the county. we swapped zillions of old sea stories. what a hoot. he then drove the boat up to duluth and retired after 45 years at sea.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
my oldest daughter lives 3 miles down the road on bay shore drive in sturge. 3 grandkids, 10, 7, 3. i gave her my stash 1969 cal 20 in top condition. i made a mooring out of a 100 year old parlor steam radiator that i had for just such a purpose. 100 ft of heavy chain, mooring float, bridle, and pickup buoy. placed it 50 yards off her beach. now every time they look out the window they know they can go sailing today. i took the new crew out three days in a row and ran them all through many drills so to get their sea legs ready and off they went for the summer.
many reports from friends came in that the young mother with little kids was seen sailing about the bay. spinnaker flying too. you got to work those kids. gave them a lung powered horn to blow salutes at every passer by. there is an engine well but i gave them no engine. i did give them a paddle. i gave them a bean bag chair for down below cause as you all may well know the three year old naps a lot with the easy motion of sailing.
Wow, that is a heartwarming report, Jon.

The sound you hear in this 20 second vid. from 2 years ago are the voices of our son and daughter in the $1 sailboat we bought them. Says it all to me about family sailing.

May 25, 2012
between the rain systems that were rolling through this season i had lots of great sailing.
had a 'baby sale'. took 2 two year
olds, 1 one year old, and a 4 month old out for an afternoon sail. plus all the doting parents and grandparents. there was nursing in the cockpit. there was 2 year old assistances at the helm. 15 in all aboard for the cruise.

when other vessels sailed by i would holler that we had 'babies for sale', every single one said no thanks.

all went well

May 25, 2012
i have fished in and around sturgeon bay for over 60 years now. i do not fish much anymore,but my love of eating FRESH fish is still a alive. two of my nephews were in town in september and are aware of my skills. they asked me if i would take them fishing. i told them that if they did the work i would drive. i used our 23' shamrock inboard with down riggers. the. septenber is northern pike season in the bay. the fish have left the shallows for deeper colder waters. i know their habits :). with a southerly wind we trolled the deep spots just off of drop offs. in four hours we had landed 5 nice big pike. the biggest around 12 lbs. yummy. i love pike. i suggest that we start heading home but would like to troll a deep tung that dead ends into the shallows then bring in the gear. well, another fish on. big tussel. jumping, fighting hard, all over the place, not a pike. 15 minutes of careful angling then we got her in the box. salmon, no, steelhead, no, german brown, no, we had a real rainbow trout. wow, never caught one in the bay before, what a beauty. so home we went. i have a cheap hand fish scale at home and weighed the trout, 12 1/2 lbs. we cleaned all the fish and had a big feast with lots of family and friends. fresh wild fish is the best eating in the world. everyone was fat and happy. leftovers for fish sandwiches the next day too :).
about 3 weeks later for the fun of it i looked up the state record for rainbows, 12.3, what? we may have eaten the state record, who knew :)
it was very tasty as was the pike.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
i have fished in and around sturgeon bay for over 60 years now. i do not fish much anymore,but my love of eating FRESH fish is still a alive. two of my nephews were in town in september and are aware of my skills. they asked me if i would take them fishing. i told them that if they did the work i would drive. i used our 23' shamrock inboard with down riggers. the. septenber is northern pike season in the bay. the fish have left the shallows for deeper colder waters. i know their habits :). with a southerly wind we trolled the deep spots just off of drop offs. in four hours we had landed 5 nice big pike. the biggest around 12 lbs. yummy. i love pike. i suggest that we start heading home but would like to troll a deep tung that dead ends into the shallows then bring in the gear. well, another fish on. big tussel. jumping, fighting hard, all over the place, not a pike. 15 minutes of careful angling then we got her in the box. salmon, no, steelhead, no, german brown, no, we had a real rainbow trout. wow, never caught one in the bay before, what a beauty. so home we went. i have a cheap hand fish scale at home and weighed the trout, 12 1/2 lbs. we cleaned all the fish and had a big feast with lots of family and friends. fresh wild fish is the best eating in the world. everyone was fat and happy. leftovers for fish sandwiches the next day too :).
about 3 weeks later for the fun of it i looked up the state record for rainbows, 12.3, what? we may have eaten the state record, who knew :)
it was very tasty as was the pike.
Holy cow!!! That is a big rainbow! Makes you wonder how many 'record' fish have been eaten with no idea.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yes please to the pike. That's about as good as freshwater has to give for eating. They taste awesome.
Amazing rainbow. My personal record for rainbow is about a pound and a half.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
this season again i had no internet, no cable, no satellite dish in sturge. just like when i was a kid. lots more time for playing on boats. did not miss them.
did use my phone for weather. barometer too.
prefrontal winds are my favorite up in sturge

May 25, 2012
i want to see FORD v FeRARRI on the big screen. maybe monday.
been a shellby fan since i was in grade school. one friend had a 427 cobra back in the 60's. another still has 2 sunbeam tigers that shellby put together

May 25, 2012
when was the last time you had a hot car in a 4 wheel drift, power on in a tight turn?

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
when was the last time you had a hot car in a 4 wheel drift, power on in a tight turn?
Well for me it was a couple of weeks ago vintage racing my 1970 Porsche 914/6 GT. Photos below... The Six is in the mix with all that Big American Iron. ...occasionally get to race against some Shelby Cobras. ...they are amazing and oh that noise! As for the movie, it is GREAT! ...saw it last night.
53349011_10157250662890039_8953567985230938112_o.png
eagles canyon November 2019.jpg
53248401_10157250662785039_1893258726953975808_o.png