sailing aeolus - 1966 caravelle yawl

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the 1st 3rd of this video is me sailing aeolus last fall. the middle 3rd are friends. sharon on the next vessel was in my adult class when i taught sailing back in the day. good contrast of an old manual sailing 'camper' and the newer 'condo' stye vessel most want today.

P.S. i lost 25lbs this past winter after seeing this :)

May 25, 2012
IMG_1687.jpg

great great gandfather's house, great lakes schooner captain, hand built stone house, 1870, the beach is 100' out of this picture, sits on high ground, aeolus docked 3 miles down the shore road
spent my entire life sailing out of here.
i have been blessed by kind people

May 25, 2012
on top is a schooner deck house
he bought the land in 1853, lived in a cabin till he finished this. he would build a schooner every winter, sail it for the season, sell it, then build a new one the next winter. for many years. the house was a side project much to his wife's dismay. making a life and home in the wilderness. WOW

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
this is season 46 with aeolus. i was twenty when i brought her back from conn to western lake erie for dad. he did not have the time. the boat had eight seasons on it. five hippi wanna a bee's on a blue blazer yacht. it was a hoot. 461 ocean boulevard album by eric clapton had just come out. it has been a great great lakes scout for the family. same engine, p 107. many new sails. never been rebuilt cause we always kept aeolus up. paint is now awlgrip, used to be mercedes-benz enamel blue, same shade of blue.
.... and so the stories continue :)

thankyou John Alden

May 25, 2012
her design is that of a miniature version of a grand banks schooner. John liked those boats. safe, sea kindly, with a good round of speed for what it is. perfect for new england cruising and great lakes as well. i love the yawl rig. most of my sloop friends do not have a clue how to use it to it's potential.