Rudder mount for trailer

Nov 3, 2014
coronado 23-2 Abilene, TX
I am certain this has been discussed, but I can't seem to find a correct thread. I built a new rudder for my Coronado 23-II and it turned out great. Now I need a place to store, transport, and secure the rudder when I am trailering or storing my boat. I can figure out how to construct one, but before I tried to 'reinvent the wheel', I thought I might take a look at what worked for others. Any of you done this successfully?

I would like it to be easy to load, hard to forget to put the rudder in the mount, relatively secure against theft, non-marring to the rudder, and, I almost forgot, easy to fabricate (though I have a full shop of fabrication tools... I'm just lazy!).

What say you, Salties (and freshies...)?

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 22 293 Huntington Lake, CA
I might be missing the trees for the forest here, but, here is what I have always tried to do. When I pull into the marina and step the mast, the first thing I hang on the back of the boat is the rudder. When I put the boat back on the trailer, the last thing I stow is.... you got it... the rudder. Oddly, if I put the rudder in the cabin with the boom and main sail, I can choose to take one or the other out first. It, I suppose, only looks to outsiders like it is free choice, as I believe it was at one time, but is now a habit. I could choose to take the boom out before the rudder, I suppose, but I would prolly forget to try it. I had, when a youngster with lots of tools, thought about making a rudder caddy, but then I thought, "Hey! I can just lay the rudder inside the cabin right next to the boom, and make a bitchin' something else!" It was a wildly liberating moment. Just sayin'. Now, about the wheel idea....

Nov 3, 2014
Thanks for the quick response. I have always done something similar, but I have to carry that big, heavy rudder up a ladder and into the cabin after the boat is loaded and mast stepped and in the way. It just seems a lot easier to have an easy place to lay/set it on the nose of the trailer (or elsewhere).

I bought this boat for a song because the PO left the rudder on the boat accidentally and it parted ways with the rest of the ship somewhere in the 100 or so mile trip home! My rudder is about 5 feet+ long, not counting the tiller. And heavy. And I getting older...

And BTW, as a car guy (hotrods, dragracer, antique cars, etc, etc, etc,), I am a LOT more comfortable with that 'wheel' thing! ;-)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
Just make a yoke on the front of the trailer and use a locking trailer hitch pin threw the the yoke and rudder.

Nov 3, 2014
Nice, Tom. I could not tell if you had a tiller and/or if you left it on the ruder while stowed. Mine will not fold down parallel an leaves the tiller like a jackknife blade, so I am thinking of mounting it standing up near the windh mount some way, or vertically on edge in a similar location to yours.. What are yoor thoughts on this?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Some folks lay the rudder alongside the keel on the trailer, with wood bolted onto the trailer frame, with another piece of wood over top that clamps the rudder.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Yeah, there, Tom G! I was looking for a picture, I knew it was someone with a Precision. And then you posted!

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
Yes, I do have to remove the tiller. It only takes a minute to take off, a bolt with a nylock nut.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I extended my trailer and have a pad for the rudder to sit on. It takes the pressure off the pintles and gudgeons. One less thing to mess with. Same for the outboard, a rod comes off the trailer and supports the outboard. Plus the lights are back where someone can see them. (if their not on the phone texting)