Rigging company's in Canada

Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
Good day,

I have an '84 Hunter 31'. I believe the standing rigging is original and I would like to replace it. Does anyone know of any good companies in Canada I can contact to get some quotes? My boat has the Seldin rig.

Also of note is that this boat has been exclusively sailed in the summer only on fresh water. It is stored on a cradle over the winter with the rig still standing on the boat.

As an aside, what should I be looking for when inspecting the existing rig? I would like to do a thorough inspection before replacing it and I can't imagine I would find someone who could do the inspection for me in Saskatchewan Canada.

Cheers!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@ShawneH if you are not comfortable deciding I would encourage you to have the rig inspected. You need to look for metal fatigue or broken wires. Signs of rust.

If not present you may be good.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I had a 1981 aloha 28 that was only sailed in fresh water and the rigging was still like new.I did take down the rig every year as I still do on this boat. It's a good practice to relieve the stress off the rigging and boat every couple of years. On Lake Ontario we get some pretty nasty winter winds and with it on a cradle the stress is away more because the boat cannot move as it can in the water.You want to check for any kinks in the wire ,rust where it goes into the turnbuckle etc. We can get it made local, however they insist you bring it in to make it exact.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
If you're looking for a company that will handle the install as well, then I'd recommend Blackline Marine at Canoe Cove (Sidney) B.C. Honorable folks that do good work and know their stuff.

Oct 22, 2014
@nightowle that is great to know but I think it might be a bit out of the area for ShawneH. He states his area of sailing is in Southern Saskatchewan, Canada. Likely why he is asking for ideas.

@ShawneH you might try an online rigging company like http://riggingonly.com/
The can help with all of the equipment and they have fair pricing. Even ship to global customers.

The install would need to be you and friends.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I had good luck with on-line ordered rigging. I ordered all new standing rigging from Catalina direct. They have two systems for ordering.
1. Mark rigging at turnbuckles with rig properly tuned. Remove all rigging, box it up and send it to them. They are responsible for measurements and make new set.
2. Mark rigging at turnbuckles with rig properly tuned. Remove all rigging, adjust it back to the marks made before removal and measure each piece along with the gap between the threaded ends in the turnbuckles. Send them the measurements and they will adjust lengths as needed for initial stretch. You are responsible for measurements.
For reference, I paid about $1700 for all new rigging on my C30 tall rig.

Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
Thanks for all the feedback. I will see if there is someone around the boat yard who can help me inspect the exiting rigging. Being fresh water it may be fine but I think once you start thinking it needs to be replaced you start to get a little paranoid.

Nightowle, I have checked out Blackline's website. If I can send the old rig in and have them send back a new rig that would be awesome.

I will check the online company's as well and get some pricing.

The first step I think is to get the rig down and inspect everything including the chainplates.

Thanks again!

Oct 22, 2014
You have the right idea.
When you get the rig down, take pictures of the areas you question and post them.
Pit corrosion is what you are looking for on the chainplates. Look up the info on pit corrosion. It will be enlightening. In some cases it is the opening to an internal cancer that has been eating the stainless metal leaving a shell. In other cases it is like a cavity at the dentist. If surface involved and enough good metal, you can grind out the corrosion, polish the metal, passify the metal and put the unit back into service.