Restoration of 1981 C-22 swing keel #10580

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Almost there

I have completed the major filling and repairs to the keel. I used 2 layers of 6 oz GRP tape on the leading edge and one layer on the trailing edge after re-defining and fairing it straight.

I have the final coat of fairing compound on the Starboard side and I will apply the Port side tonight. After sanding with long blocks and boards it will be done except for paint. It really looks great, pics to follow.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Looking forward to seeing it, although I'm pretty sure, based on what we've already seen, that it's going to be top notch!

Sep 8, 2014
Finally, uploaded some Pics

I'm reposting the pics of the keel post sandblasting so you can compare the worst damaged areas to the post repair. The missing cast iron around the keel pin had me most concerned. I filled this area with epoxy mixed w/ high density microfiber filler. This stuff is extremely strong when cured and very tough to sand. WEST technical support advised that this was the best filler to use, that its bond to the ports cast iron would likely be stronger than the original metal itself. Its so tough that I had to rough shape it with a sure-form tool (rasp) before sanding with 80 grit. Then I laid 2 long layers of 6oz biax tape on the 'back-bone' above the keel pin.
keel blasted 3.jpg

Keel repair micro fibers.jpg

Keel Fiberglass.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
When laying layers of epoxy I was only working one side at a time. So after each application cured I used a 1 inch hole saw from the opposite side to keep the pin hole clear of epoxy that got inside to make sure I retained the correct location.
I used the original factory keel drawing to check my work, making sure my repair areas were shaped correctly and matched the drawing and verified that my keel pin location was still correct. I did not bore out the 1 inch hole up to 1 and 1 & 1/4 inch for the bushing until the repair was complete.

Keel Drawing Factory.jpg

Keel Pin Alignment.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Near Disaster

One part of the job I was most proud of was how I was able to epoxy in the SS Pin bushing and the seal it from both sides with a 'collar' of thickened epoxy. It all sounds well and good, but this process almost became a complete disaster.
I did not have a 1.25" tapered ream, those are big & expensive to use for just one job. At my local Industrial Over-stock Fastener & Supply place they had reams, but not that size and not tapered. Instead I picked up a huge 1.25" drill bit for $4. I welded up a small piece of 1/2" round bar to the end so I could chuck it up in my big drill. Long story short, the hole did not drill very well at all. It took forever and almost burned up my drill in the process and it was a H-D DeWalt 1/2" chuck, corded. (It spit grease all over me but it still works) The bit started well but didn't go through, so I also went at both sides with a 1.25" hole saw. That hole saw almost finished the job but it lost a few teeth in the process. I had to finish it up with a carbide tooth burr on my pneumatic die grinder. Needless to say, the hole was 'almost' completely jacked. It was in the correct position and roughly square to the centerline but just barley. Not enough to just epoxy the bushing in and walk away to let it cure. Basically I had to epoxy just the center part of the bushing, using the pin inserted to hold it square. Luckily there was a good portion of the center of the hole that was pretty much right on, so I was able to use light pressure of my finger to hold it square for about 15 minutes while the fast cure hardener kicked off.

Moral off the story... Use a tapered 1.25" Ream to open your Keel Pin hole! Don't try a 'cheaper' alternative! Don't buy the tool if you can avoid it, they are expensive... Borrow one if you can.

Sep 8, 2014
Results of the new bushing

Well, as I mentioned above, despite the issues the installation of the Pin Bushing turned out really well. Here is a shot of 'filling in' on one side. I used very light coating of zipper wax to coat the keel pin and the inside of the bushing; When it cured the pin slide right out and I sanded everything flush leaving a perfect epoxy 'collar', sealing the bushing in on both sides and filling any voids.

Keel Pin centering.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
First coat of fairing compound applied (West Epoxy thickened to PB consistency with fairing filler, reddish in color) Note the lighter color of the fairing compound, that's because I put grey pigment in this first batch which was really a waste of time. It just made it a pink color where you can see in the pics of the other side that the compound is pretty red.
Keel fairing.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
On the other side this is a before shot showing the 6 oz tape I used on the leading and trailing edges. I put grey pigment in the epoxy, this helps as a visual aide when sanding.
Keel Fairing 3.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
This side was overall more fair to begin with so I had to use less fairing compound (12 pumps plus hardener and fairing fillier on the 1st, only 10 on this side).

keel fairing 7.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
After about 20 minutes of longboard sanding, first with 80 grit to get the high spots, then 150. The dark spots are the remaining low spots before I used 180 on the orbital sander, gently.

Keel Fairing sanded.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Final fairing results; I have a bit left to do around the edges by hand but otherwise its ready for primer;

Keel Fairing Near Done.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Clouddiver: Very nice work! I have a decent background/education in various plastics and molds. One of my Industrial Technology minors is Plastics. I plan to put a 6"
leading edge down the front of my rudder this spring as the stock rudder has no depth (13") and has wimpy slow speed control.
Happy Holidays, Chief

Nov 28, 2012
Catalina 22 #442 Somerset, Ma
wow great work. im really enjoying watching the progress you are making on your boat.

Sep 8, 2014
Humbug!!!

Well, I've kind of taken a break from the resto work for the holidays. I had some other work to do in the shop and I've gotten my gift shopping done. What I realized is that what I spent on gifts and such is pretty much what I had budgeted for Paint/painting supplies. Darn it! Oh well, I won't be ready for paint until I get the hull flipped and sanded.

So I have two four day weekends coming up over Xmas and the New Years. Hopefully I will get the hull inverted and you all see a glossy bottom by the end of Feb... I hope!

Sep 8, 2014
Holiday Work

I had a 4 day weekend for Christmas but decided to relax and enjoy the break (and play my new X-box one, LOL... I'm too old for video games but hey, it was a gift!)

The following weekend for New Years I got another 4 day weekend so I got back to work. Here is my Rudder which had some light delamination at the bottom leading edge corner.

Rudder Before.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
After removing the hardware, then a good scraping and sanding I got a good look at the damage.
Rudder damage 2.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
I used my new Milwaukee Oscillating Multi-tool with the half circle cutting blade to remove the corner where it delaminated. You'll notice in the pic that wood core did not soak up any water, the de-lamination didn't go deep enough and that was good news.

Rudder damage.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
After scraping and sanding away the junky polyester filler that was damaged I mixed up some epoxy with colloidal silica filler and clamped the piece back into place. After curing I rough sanded the area back into shape. I may add a little fairing compound later and fine tune the profile a little later, but otherwise after some additional sanding the rudder is pretty much ready to repaint. I am debating if I should bother adding some glass tape to the leading edge and bottom edge for additional impact and abrasion protection... might be over-kill. At some future date I think I want to invest in a kick up rudder anyway.

Rudder Repair.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Back on the transom I decided that my bilge pump thru-hull was too low. Pretty much you can see its right at the water-line. I've looked at pics of other members boats and noticed that it should be a few inches higher and inboard toward the rudder. I over-bored the previous sloppy hole with a hole-saw and used thickened epoxy to fill the gap between transom and hull liner. I used the same hole saw to punch out two plugs of my 1/2" marine plywood and glued them together with epoxy. The pic below is the hole with gap filled. I forgot to take a pic after the plug was placed and cured but I can add it later.
Transom bilge exit repair.jpg

Last edited: